Veganuary?

Soldato
Steak me in.

That reminds me of this...

Perhaps on a more serious note..

See http://www.themeatrix.com/

Mixed farming doesn't have to involve cruelty and suffering.

And actually, without Animals as part of the farming ecosystem, continuous arable animal free farming would eventually exhaust the soil of nutrients (There are also large areas that would become unavailable for food production altogether. There isn't really any possibility of having the Vegietopia wheat prairies of North Wales or the Scottish highlands is there?)

Soldato
I mean really the whole Green/Eco-Friendly industry is filled with self-defeating posturing...

Like special toilets that use X% less water per flush... but then the flush is so pathetic you need to flush about 5 times to clear a dump...

Soldato
I mean really the whole Green/Eco-Friendly industry is filled with self-defeating posturing...

Like special toilets that use X% less water per flush... but then the flush is so pathetic you need to flush about 5 times to clear a dump...

And even then the drains get blocked because, actually, they need water to make them work properly! :mad:

Man of Honour
The impossible burger tastes like a burger though, hence the name (I had one in San Diego zoo)

Hold on a minute

What is the Impossible Burger?
You may have heard about the Impossible Burger, a plant-based patty that bleeds and sizzles when it cooks. It’s made using an ingredient called haem (or heme, an iron-containing compound that's abundant in animal muscle)

So it is still made using animals.

Caporegime
No, it's abundant in animals but they source it from plants

Although heme has been consumed every day for hundreds of thousands of years, Impossible Foods discovered that it’s what makes meat taste like meat. We make the Impossible Burger using heme from soy plants -- identical to the heme from animals -- which is what gives it its uniquely meaty flavor.

Soldato
It’s funny how so many get “triggered” over something that doesn’t necessarily affect them and is entirely optional to partake or even to give a toss about.

Hold on a minute

What is the Impossible Burger?
You may have heard about the Impossible Burger, a plant-based patty that bleeds and sizzles when it cooks. It’s made using an ingredient called haem (or heme, an iron-containing compound that's abundant in animal muscle)

So it is still made using animals.

Never knew soy leghemoglobin was an animal.
Learn something new every day I suppose.

Soldato
Soldato
Not this again... I've never understood the hate for vegans. Just get over yourselves. Some people want to do it, some people don't. That should be the end of it. Just because someone is vegan it doesn't mean they are automatically a preacher. Why does everyone need to be stereotyped?

Meat eater: "Are you a vegan?"
Vegan: "Yes"
Meat eater: "Oh my god, here we go. We can't be friends." *Walks off*
It's ridiculous.

People that feel they have to state "I'm not a vegan, but I like this vegan burger". Who gives a **** if you're a vegan or not, can't you just enjoy the food for what it is without feeling the need to defend yourself?

Being vegan is better for the environment and your health in terms of diet, FACT. Obviously there are still lots of other factors that have effects on the environment such as driving, plastic usage etc.

My partner is vegan and has been for 5 years. She doesn't preach about it, she doesn't even like talking about it. I didn't even find out until a few dates in. It has not effect on my life whatsoever. I do what I want, she does what she wants. It's pretty simple really.

I have reduced my meat and dairy intake, but I'm not a vegetarian and not even close to a vegan. I now eat meat maybe 2-3 times per week, if that sometimes. I don't miss it that much any more. I did it for a multitude of reasons; My own health, the environment, the cost, and because she has opened my eyes to a lot that goes on in the meat industry that I just didn't know about. We're shielded from all of it. I'm not ready to make the switch over to vegan, hell I don't even know if I will, but the benefits are clear.

Yes, you can get preachy vegans that feel they're superior beings, and I do not defend these people in any way, but you get exactly the same from meat eaters as well. It seems to be 'fasionable' to slate on vegans, so people just jump on the bandwagon. "Enjoy your grass" - It's not funny, you're just sad and pathetic. Be open minded, do your research and make your decision. Then just keep it to yourself. Why hate on people who are trying to make a positive impact to their health and the environment?

I think we all have a social and moral responsibility to help the environment. Those that think otherwise, or say that what they're doing "does not affect others" are simply wrong, and selfish. Of all the things you can do, not eating meat has the biggest effect on the environment. This is second only to not having children. It doesn't matter what you do to help the environment, so long as you do something.

We all need to be more tolerable of each other, more open minded, patient and friendly. There is enough segregation in this world already without people moaning about whether they eat chicken or tofu.

Now if only we can eradicate religion...

Some reading, if you want to educate yourselves: https://www.care2.com/causes/10_arg...l/10_arguments_against_a_vegan_lifestyle.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a vegan but I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy to start with. To be honest if I went vegan I probably wouldn't miss meat or dairy anyway. Apart from a durty kebab after a canny few pints down the club.

Soldato
Only if you do it wrong, just like any other diet. Studies show that long term meat can be damaging to your health.

studies lol show me a study on the long term health effect of a 100% plant diet on homo sapiens?
if i have done the diet wrong then god help average joe blow with this nonsense that is being pushed mainstream..
4 years i followed this diet and i prolly only lasted that long because i was healthy to begin with.

i went into this endeavour for my long term health as i look after myself, i cycle to work, go to the gym etc so i am not adverse to tracking macro's.
got my fats from chia/flax seeds, coconut oil and avocados which are a joke here in the uk.
protein was from beans, lentils, tofu etc.
ate all the greens,veg and fruit,

a lot of time and effort went into making my meals, a foodie co-worker even used to take pics of my monster salads at work to put on instagram.
got to know the girls quite well at the local fruit n veg shop i was there that often.
ate a mixture of cooked veg and salads.
bought a dehydrator to make my own spinach and chia seed wraps.
sprouted my own seeds.

went on holidays to north africa as it lends well to vegan cuisine,
plus smoothies, protein shakes etc, i gave this diet a good go...
also used some supps including b12.

at the beginning i was feeling quite good had a lot of energy.
but then the decline came and it continued, i was losing strength and muscle even after i played around with the macro's.

i never felt satiated, man all that fiber... the toilet and i lol
the high carbs/sugar made my blood sugar a roller coaster ride and i became irritable.
my libido declined and oh my the brain fog... it was increasingly difficult to do life!

it came to the point where i had to have a word with myself and admit that i had been sold a dud and this diet is not healthy!

td;lr been there done that don't work!

Back
Top Bottom