Mk 2 Octavia VRS experiences?

Caporegime
I currently have a 62 plate Focus 1.6 Ecoboost 182 that’s just ticked over 55k miles and I’ve had it for nearly three years so am now getting a bit of an itch for a change and I’ve started having some trouble so am looking to change into something that’ll be a straight swap or very close to it.

The Focus is a little light on options (wind up windows in the back, no cruise or climate control etc) so I’ve been looking at vRS Octavias. Obviously a mark 1 is not an option (already done VAG 1.8T as I had a Leon Cupra) and my kids are needing a bit more legroom in the back.

The focus is £5.5k trade, £6.5k private so does anyone have experience with the VRS in this price range? Ownership, issues they’ve had etc. It’s a Golf underneath so common issues should hopefully be sorted by now and I’d still prefer a manual over a DSG after a colleague had her DSG box eat itself and despite spending hundreds getting it fixed it still isn’t right and is off the road and has been for months.

This one looks interesting for example.

Soldato
I have a MK2 FL Octavia VRS. Both pre and post facelift engines have documented issues, though these are shared across other VAG models, though I've not experienced any issues. Aside from that I believe they're fairly reliable.

I would honestly say unless you're better sticking with what you have until you can meaningfully upgrade. Generation wise, the Octavia will be a backwards step and you'd be moving from a car you know well to a potential liability.

The MK3 would be worth considering though.

Caporegime
OP
I have a MK2 FL Octavia VRS. Both pre and post facelift engines have documented issues, though these are shared across other VAG models, though I've not experienced any issues. Aside from that I believe they're fairly reliable.

I would honestly say unless you're better sticking with what you have until you can meaningfully upgrade. Generation wise, the Octavia will be a backwards step and you'd be moving from a car you know well to a potential liability.

The MK3 would be worth considering though.
How long have you had yours? What sort of usage do you do and what’s your mpg average?

Soldato
My MK2 vrs was one of the first ccz (from memory) tsi engined cars just like that one and suffered chain issues leasing to engine replacement shortly after I got it.

The car was never the same post replacement unfortunately and tbh I ended up hating the thing.

Compared to the focus ST I now have it handled embarrassingly and suffered numerous annoying issues through ownership even ignoring the engine. Wheels made of chocolate, suspension niggles, abs / tc related issues etc. If I was to be more positive about it the rear passenger space was much better and vag brings a wealth of relatively simple modification / modular updates that you will lose no money on as someone is always looking for a columbus nav unit etc.

I can't think of any situation where I would rather have one than a similar focus however, unless we were talking about a massive purchase saving.

That particular car is also hugely overpriced - I paid a similar amount several years ago

Last edited:
Associate
Had a Mk 2 2009 Octavia VRS from 0 to around 80k miles (a 'limited edition', which really just mean leather seats were included in the price!).. Only significant cost (other than wrecking two alloy wheels in the worlds deepest pothole) was some kind of sensor failure where it was built into a larger component, causing around £800 of work. Was good enough other than that issue that I bought another Octavia (mk 3, 2016), and when my lease is up at the end of this year I may get another one.

Caporegime
OP
Had a Mk 2 2009 Octavia VRS from 0 to around 80k miles (a 'limited edition', which really just mean leather seats were included in the price!).. Only significant cost (other than wrecking two alloy wheels in the worlds deepest pothole) was some kind of sensor failure where it was built into a larger component, causing around £800 of work. Was good enough other than that issue that I bought another Octavia (mk 3, 2016), and when my lease is up at the end of this year I may get another one.
Thanks the one I posted is a limited edition with leather seats.

Soldato
Loved my prefacelift Mk2 but it was a sub £3k car, not a nearly £6k car. It will feel like a backwards step in probably every aspect bar size and a slightly pokier engine. It's a 2006 generation car and it doesn't do much to hide it.

It's not a fantastic price point for the vRS I don't think but you ought to be looking at a facelift mk2 minimum if you do go that way.

Associate
Had a look at the advert, it's identical to the one I had. The limited edition number is printed on a tag on the drivers seat, you can see it in the photo but can't work out which one it is (mine was #452). Think I paid around £15k at the time as it was pre registered.

There is a register of owners on the Skoda forum briskoda.co.uk. You may be able to see what kind of life its had!

Soldato
The wife has my old Mk2 VRS also a limited edition (#272 identically looking to the one in the advert for those counting). It was my second VRS and is still munching miles with relatively little issue (Ironically though we've had a bush issue today so its in the garage). I cant comment on the petrol as both have been diesels. The one in the advert does look massively over priced though. You would get many more creature comforts on a MK3 but I always enjoyed driving them. Just as a by the by the Bluetooth module isn't fitted as standard so even though the button is there for "phone" it doesn't do anything.

Soldato
I enjoyed both a pre-FL and FL Mk2 vRS. However I experienced two of the more common faults - ABS issue on the pre-FL which cost around £350 to repair and then intake manifold issues on the FL, which cost me £600 to repair (with goodwill) and then cropped up 2yrs later just as I was looking to sell it.
I'm driving my FL Mk3 vRS now which I'm very much enjoying, feels that little more refined than the Mk2.

Soldato
A colleague had the cam chain jump and ruin the engine in his 10 plate Octy VRS last year due to tensioner wear/damage, it was on 90k odd miles. He only had it for 4 months and sold it for spares/repair (it ended up having a replacement engine fitted by the new owner).

It was a nice car apart from that(!).

Caporegime
OP
A colleague had the cam chain jump and ruin the engine in his 10 plate Octy VRS last year due to tensioner wear/damage, it was on 90k odd miles. He only had it for 4 months and sold it for spares/repair (it ended up having a replacement engine fitted by the new owner).

It was a nice car apart from that(!).
Was it overdue a cambelt change?

Soldato
Was it overdue a cambelt change?

It's got a cam chain which has a common issue with the tensioner failing causing the chain to skip teeth and take out the engine. When buying a second hand car with the engine if it doesn't have proof of the the new revision tensioner and chain being fitted budget getting them replaced as part of the costs of buying the car. It's around £500-600 for the work.

It's a common fault so many cars have had the newer parts fitted or new engines.

Associate
I had the same Limited Edition, beware the alloy wheels are made of butter, soft butter at that. I factored buying replaments wen I bought mine.

I sold it in the end due to the chain issue, I was going to spend the £600 on getting it replaced but a Leaf PCP made it an easy decision to sell it.

Caporegime
get yourself a toyota - cheap and reliable. if you want fun then it has to be an older lexus. again cheap and reliable but fuel won't be. i've been really impressed with the wife's lexus apart from the underneath of the car.

Back
Top Bottom