Need to change my car

Associate
Well i haven't been on here for a while now, had a lot going on in general. Unfortunately i need change my car, i love my 650I but work informed us around Christmas that we will be relocating during the this once all the work is carried out on the new premises. To top all of that off its not the best car to get my kids in and out of, i knew this at the time of buying but that was one thing i could live with it. But now with work moving, my mileage is going to increase to the point of running a V8 will break my bank account.
So i am looking at changing to a dirty diesel or even going hybrid. With trading in my 650I or selling it, i will have a budget of 8-10k. I am thinking about an estate car or an SUV. I miss having the practical space of an estate. An the minute i have on my list a Lexus RX400H, VW Touareg 3L TDI, I have always wanted a Merc so a E class estate, or just going for a good safe bet and getting another Passat or anything VAG?

Soldato
In my experience, Hybrids are only really useful if doing local journeys where you can keep on all electric for the majority of the time. For longer journeys where you are starting to use the petrol engine more and more, they often don't make sense. This is based on using an Outlander PHEV for 2 weeks, for sub-5 mile commuting at < 30 mph I did crazy MPG, using works electricity to effectively get me there and back. As soon as I used it to visit suppliers doing 50-200 miles I found I was only getting circa 30MPG.
For reference, I used our X-Trail 1.6 DCi to visit the same suppliers before Christmas and averaged 48MPG in the same traffic conditions.

Dirty Diesel is probably your best bet if you want some poke + reasonable fuel consumption.

It's important to ensure if you get a diesel you are doing journeys that will be sympathetic to the DPF, the number of people in work doing < 10-20 miles commuting at slow speed with DPF issues is getting worrying.

Associate
OP
In my experience, Hybrids are only really useful if doing local journeys where you can keep on all electric for the majority of the time. For longer journeys where you are starting to use the petrol engine more and more, they often don't make sense. This is based on using an Outlander PHEV for 2 weeks, for sub-5 mile commuting at < 30 mph I did crazy MPG, using works electricity to effectively get me there and back. As soon as I used it to visit suppliers doing 50-200 miles I found I was only getting circa 30MPG.
For reference, I used our X-Trail 1.6 DCi to visit the same suppliers before Christmas and averaged 48MPG in the same traffic conditions.

Dirty Diesel is probably your best bet if you want some poke + reasonable fuel consumption.

It's important to ensure if you get a diesel you are doing journeys that will be sympathetic to the DPF, the number of people in work doing < 10-20 miles commuting at slow speed with DPF issues is getting worrying.

Yeah there are a lot of people doing the 10-20 miles commutes with a car that has DPF's.

Soldato
Well i haven't been on here for a while now, had a lot going on in general. Unfortunately i need change my car, i love my 650I but work informed us around Christmas that we will be relocating during the this once all the work is carried out on the new premises. To top all of that off its not the best car to get my kids in and out of, i knew this at the time of buying but that was one thing i could live with it. But now with work moving, my mileage is going to increase to the point of running a V8 will break my bank account.
So i am looking at changing to a dirty diesel or even going hybrid. With trading in my 650I or selling it, i will have a budget of 8-10k. I am thinking about an estate car or an SUV. I miss having the practical space of an estate. An the minute i have on my list a Lexus RX400H, VW Touareg 3L TDI, I have always wanted a Merc so a E class estate, or just going for a good safe bet and getting another Passat or anything VAG?

I've currently got a Volvo V60 it's fully specced; adaptive radar cruise control, sunroof, reversing camera, lane departure warning, front and rear sensors and it has the sporty R design trim suspension and seats. Also it has the 5 cylinder diesel unit which is well known to go beyond 250k with no troubles.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine soon, I might be changing jobs soon and might only be driving 15 miles a day or even a train commute so no car needed.
If you are interested in any more information then give me a PM/DM

Soldato
well specced X5 x35d . will happily run north of 30mpg on a run, can get it as a 7 seater as well if you want a bit more practicality as a good all rounder, have one in the family albeit mapped to 375bhp it goes rather well :) . tow anything anywhere lug loads as well as my mondeo estate. and decent in all weather, . reliable enough and i cant imagine you'll be too put off by the worry of minor modern bmw niggles after a 650 :) . 3 years in all we've had was a couple of module faults albeit both a tad on the expensive side as fixes go.

Associate
OP
well specced X5 x35d . will happily run north of 30mpg on a run, can get it as a 7 seater as well if you want a bit more practicality as a good all rounder, have one in the family albeit mapped to 375bhp it goes rather well :) . tow anything anywhere lug loads as well as my mondeo estate. and decent in all weather, . reliable enough and i cant imagine you'll be too put off by the worry of minor modern bmw niggles after a 650 :) . 3 years in all we've had was a couple of module faults albeit both a tad on the expensive side as fixes go.

An X5 isn't a bad call to be honest, they have certainly come down in price now. Well there is plenty to look at. Might have to sell my 650I privately after i two of the dealers i spoke to, only one came back to me with an offer on PX what was just silly. The other dealer just said i am not even going to give you a value on PX as it would insulting, as i know how much they can sell for and i can make a good profit from it but its going to be sitting on my forecourt for months. Its a very difficult car to shift from his point of view. Was nice to get an honest guy just say that. Well its MOT, service in April so ill put it up for sale then. Just hope it doesn't take to long to shift. If it comes to the point when i need a diesel because we have relocated, iv got the cash to buy a cheap one to get me by whilst i sell the 650I.

Associate
When you say £10k budget, do you mean you have £10K cash + Part ex, or 10K total?

Everything I have read about the Lexus made me very tempted to go down that route also. Reliability is (literally) second to none. I briefly looked at Jag and Infinity also, as they just about fall into the price bracket.

In a similar conundrum to you, I recently changed from an 08 Civic Type-R to a 65 V40 R-Design (190) mainly due to having to do a LOT of miles over the next few months. Couple of other factors lead me to this:
Running costs - It has £0 emissions tax and can be driven for free in the ULEV. The Civic could also be driven in the ULEV without paying the fees, but the servicing costs + Emissions tax + MPG cost was getting out of hand
5 Door - getting kids in and our of the 3 door was a pain, even if we generally tend to use the other car for that
MPG - Going from ~30MPG to ~60+MPG is a big deal if you're regularly doing 50mile+ journeys
Comfort - The driving comfort over long distances in the Civic was pretty poor. The drivers position was great for whizzing around small A roads and B roads, but really painful if sat on a motorway, especially when the engine is at 4k revs constantly.

The V40 has literally solved all of these problems and so far I'm very happy with it. Doesn't sound like that specific model would be the right one for you as its quite small, but I would recommend a good look at the Volvo range. Their performance per MPG and emissions tax is pretty damn good.

Associate
OP
When you say £10k budget, do you mean you have £10K cash + Part ex, or 10K total?

Everything I have read about the Lexus made me very tempted to go down that route also. Reliability is (literally) second to none. I briefly looked at Jag and Infinity also, as they just about fall into the price bracket.

In a similar conundrum to you, I recently changed from an 08 Civic Type-R to a 65 V40 R-Design (190) mainly due to having to do a LOT of miles over the next few months. Couple of other factors lead me to this:
Running costs - It has £0 emissions tax and can be driven for free in the ULEV. The Civic could also be driven in the ULEV without paying the fees, but the servicing costs + Emissions tax + MPG cost was getting out of hand
5 Door - getting kids in and our of the 3 door was a pain, even if we generally tend to use the other car for that
MPG - Going from ~30MPG to ~60+MPG is a big deal if you're regularly doing 50mile+ journeys
Comfort - The driving comfort over long distances in the Civic was pretty poor. The drivers position was great for whizzing around small A roads and B roads, but really painful if sat on a motorway, especially when the engine is at 4k revs constantly.

The V40 has literally solved all of these problems and so far I'm very happy with it. Doesn't sound like that specific model would be the right one for you as its quite small, but I would recommend a good look at the Volvo range. Their performance per MPG and emissions tax is pretty damn good.

Iv got 10K all in, with the sale of mine. Volvos have always been on my radar, i looked a S60 D5 the last time i was after a diesel, i have looked at V70's on line so might be worth a shot or a XC90?

Man of Honour
Yeah there are a lot of people doing the 10-20 miles commutes with a car that has DPF's.

From my fairly limited experience seems the big diesels that are really affected by it - we run a lot of 1.9-2L TDI vehicles that don't seem to have a problem with it but my most recent purchase with a 3L V6 diesel definitely didn't like it - gunked up fuel related sensors and had to have EGR valve replaced as it was done.

Associate
Iv got 10K all in, with the sale of mine. Volvos have always been on my radar, i looked a S60 D5 the last time i was after a diesel, i have looked at V70's on line so might be worth a shot or a XC90?
There was some bargain S60 around where I live recently when I was looking, only reason I didnt go for them is the affor mentioned ULEZ fees. Paying £12.50 a day for the "pleasure" of driving in London... no thanks!

Nothing wrong with an XC90, I think you would probably get a higher spec for your money with a S60 V50/60/70 though.

From my fairly limited experience seems the big diesels that are really affected by it - we run a lot of 1.9-2L TDI vehicles that don't seem to have a problem with it but my most recent purchase with a 3L V6 diesel definitely didn't like it - gunked up fuel related sensors and had to have EGR valve replaced as it was done.

Apparently a lot of the EGR related issues are to do with using cheapo supermarket diesel. I've seen people talk about using additives and things like that, but my plan is to avoid them wherever possible with this car, as its especially sensitive to it.... might even stick with the fancy "performance" Diesel as I'll still be quids in compared to what i'm used too.

Last edited:

Soldato
They are tatty bin fodder at this money, just at the point where they become bottomless pits into which to throw money. Can't think of many worse ways to spend 10k on a car.

i dont know what your idea of bin fodder is but mine certainly isnt a 10k x5,

if i'd suggested a 2/3k E53 then yes but a well looked after E70 for 10 grand really isnt.

as long as you go into a purchase with your eyes open, shop about for a good example and remember its still a very heavy car that is heavy on consumables and does have the potential to generate bills like any other modern car you'll be fine.

Man of Honour
Apparently a lot of the EGR related issues are to do with using cheapo supermarket diesel. I've seen people talk about using additives and things like that, but my plan is to avoid them wherever possible with this car, as its especially sensitive to it.... might even stick with the fancy performance" Diesel as I'll still be quids in compared to what i'm used too.

I did wonder about that. Had it half on my mind about whether using better diesel and/or some additives would be worthwhile as this vehicle hasn't been treated with the most mechanical sympathy by the previous owner hah though strangely they kept it immaculate inside.

Man of Honour
i dont know what your idea of bin fodder is but mine certainly isnt a 10k x5,

A typical sub 10k 35d is well over 10 years old and working it's way through a succession of less than careful owners. It's fallen into that area of the market where those who can afford to look after them without it being a total waste of money can just buy newer ones. So who buys them?

Soldato
A typical sub 10k 35d is well over 10 years old and working it's way through a succession of less than careful owners. It's fallen into that area of the market where those who can afford to look after them without it being a total waste of money can just buy newer ones. So who buys them?

its hardly in the same realms as a 2/3k E53 though. you'll still find a lot of one/two owner FBMWSH cars for under 10k that have been looked after,

and as for who buys them err.................
<<<<<<<<<<< got 1 in the family atm and on the lookout for another one as a tow car for work :) . although i'm looking at ex authorities x40ds :) probably an even dafter purchase

Back
Top Bottom