Snagging Dispute

Associate
OK I'm trying to gauge peoples opinion.

We are between exhchage and completion. Due to complete very soon.

The vendor agreed and this is confirmed by their conveyancer in writing that they would undertake snagging works before completion date.

We saw the house at the weekend and it has been partially redecorated (very well) but there are still shrinkage cracks around the window sills and on some walls etc as you would expect on a newish build.

We have gone back via his estate agent to query this and he is claiming that such cracks are not snagging, hence the reason why they were not done. Clearly we are disputing this through our solicitor and they agree with me that shrinkage cracks should be covered under "snagging".

So what do we think is shrinkage snagging or am i being a pain in the backside?

Sgarrista
Commissario
I would say it depends on where and how big.

If its "obvious" then yes, if its just something you might notice on a fine tooth comb, then no.

Associate
OP
I would say it depends on where and how big.

If its "obvious" then yes, if its just something you might notice on a fine tooth comb, then no.

They are clearly visible standard kind of cracks on a new build. Not stuff we have gone searching for but stuff you can see from the middle of the room.

Associate
Definite snagging. Stupidly we took our vendor at their word to complete the snagging and paid in full. They then turned round and said tough we aren’t doing it and refused all communication. Neither the solicitor nor the estate agent, who arranged the snagging list, wanted to get involved post sale. Get it done now.

Associate
OP
The issue we have is we are supposed to complete this week. Its been a drawn out process as it is. I suppose the best we can get is a guarantee from their solicitor that they will pay for the work to be done. Not sure we or they want to delay completion because of it. In fact I'm not even sure we can. But then again arguably they are in breach of the contract for not doing the work.

Soldato
Don't see how you will have a chance getting this done before completion. Every new build I've dealt with has a clause in the contract to say you can't delay completion for anything that can be dealt with afterwards. And are shrinking cracks even something they will deal with at all? You'll only get more over the next few months anyway

Associate
OP
We have bought the house from the builder it's just over 2 years old so outside the snagging warranty.

And yep it's a caulk and cover job that's all.

Yep no chance it gets done by completion which is fine it's more the principle of the matter.

Soldato
It`s a house purchase people lie all the time our cellar and lift were supposed to be empty not just cleared of valuables and stacked floor to ceiling with junk but nobody is interested post completion!

Associate
OP
It's a two year old property but was rented out originally by the builder who is know selling it to us. The builder should have done the snagging within the standard 2 years but they didn't. Hence the reason why we asked for it to be done.

Anyway our solicitor is saying as we have not directly specified exactly which snagging works we wanted doing we have had it and their solicitors are saying technically as it's second hand snagging is irrelevant. Even though they confirmed in writing snagging would be complete. A whole semantic headache indeed.

Plan now is to just forget about it and do it ourselves but pursue a complaint against our solicitor.

Soldato
It's a two year old property but was rented out originally by the builder who is know selling it to us. The builder should have done the snagging within the standard 2 years but they didn't. Hence the reason why we asked for it to be done.

Anyway our solicitor is saying as we have not directly specified exactly which snagging works we wanted doing we have had it and their solicitors are saying technically as it's second hand snagging is irrelevant. Even though they confirmed in writing snagging would be complete. A whole semantic headache indeed.

Plan now is to just forget about it and do it ourselves but pursue a complaint against our solicitor.

Unlikely to get you anywhere and it will be a waste of time and emotion.
Technically your solicitor had no control over the other side and in all likelihood believed then when they said they would sort snagging stuff out just as much as you did.

The fact they agreed to on a second hand house is frankly quite generous anyway really.

Just move on and paint it - half a days job

Associate
If it was me, I'd just ask for them for the paint cans and do it myself. In a new build, it is likely to reoccur soon anyway and then you will already have the right paint.

Associate
Chalk it down to a loss if you cant get it done before completion. 3 years on and my wife is still ranting about what wasnt finished here. Ultimately it sounds like few DIY jobs for the weekend.

Associate
If it's smaller than the width of a 50p piece, then I'm not sure they are ever bothered.

Leave it until the build has completely settled, get out some caulk and paint, sort it out yourself (to your standard) and job done :)

Associate
OP
Yes they are fine cracks and it should have settled more or less by now so I will get it done off a friend. I'm terrible at DIY and will make it worse i'm sure It's the principle of the matter which annoys me and the fact my conveyancer seems unbothered.

Back
Top Bottom