What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Caporegime
Finally collected the car from the detailers after it's IGL coating...

Loooooovely...

I want to do something like this, but my car has quite a few imperfections such as scratch here, stone chip there etc. Do they fix all that as a part of the service and how clean do you need to bring the car in for them to start?

Oh, and how long do they take?

Soldato
Loooooovely...

I want to do something like this, but my car has quite a few imperfections such as scratch here, stone chip there etc. Do they fix all that as a part of the service and how clean do you need to bring the car in for them to start?

Oh, and how long do they take?

Mine went in absolutely filthy - I had been away for a few days beforehand so didn't have time to wash it. Literally so dirty you couldn't see the reg plates.

As part of the coating, the detailer did the 'keying' and 'smoothing' processes to help the ceramic coating to bond, as well as degreasing and claying the car to remove impurities and embedded dirt. He noticed that there were quite a few scratches on it (despite being only 2 months old) here are some pics of some of what he wet-sanded out and polished out:

This car was with him originally Mon - Fri, but due to the snow/ice, he was snowed in (worked from home) so I couldn't collect for another 3 days, so he actually spent 5 days on it in total, which was fine as it allowed the ceramic coating to cure in his garage, as opposed to my driveway!

Caporegime
Mine went in absolutely filthy - I had been away for a few days beforehand so didn't have time to wash it. Literally so dirty you couldn't see the reg plates.

As part of the coating, the detailer did the 'keying' and 'smoothing' processes to help the ceramic coating to bond, as well as degreasing and claying the car to remove impurities and embedded dirt. He noticed that there were quite a few scratches on it (despite being only 2 months old) here are some pics of some of what he wet-sanded out and polished out:

This car was with him originally Mon - Fri, but due to the snow/ice, he was snowed in (worked from home) so I couldn't collect for another 3 days, so he actually spent 5 days on it in total, which was fine as it allowed the ceramic coating to cure in his garage, as opposed to my driveway!

Well my car has the typical wear and tear you expect from a 8 year old car, not 2 months. I don't expect showroom new but obviously I'd like it better.

How much was his service? I might do this in the summer and walk to work for a week.

Soldato
Well my car has the typical wear and tear you expect from a 8 year old car, not 2 months. I don't expect showroom new but obviously I'd like it better.

How much was his service? I might do this in the summer and walk to work for a week.

Cost depends on who and where. This chap is based in Newton Aycliffe (near Durham/Darlington) and is a self-proclaimed OCD perfectionist. My work was subsidised by BMW as they had damaged the car and had it resprayed on the roof, so I got them to pay £300 of the detail, which was approximately 75% of the detail cost. The bulk of the cost was the ceramic coating - IGL Kenzo, which is around £500 by itself I think.

Soldato
Wiped the white paint left on the door from the tool who opened their car door into mine. I was actually sat in the car at the time. Luckily it looks like it just skimmed the surface and no dent.
We had words but people just don't care anymore.

Soldato
Changed the cabin filter on my mk2 focus. It was rocking a ford oem filter still given that was 12 years old thought it might need changing even though my car has only done 45k ( 15k two years ago when i bought it) on a side note think the engineer that designed the focus needs a slap for making it such a faff to get at the cabin filter. I had to remove the glove box, the internal fuse box and the fuse box mount and then the cover for the filter and then replace it all.

Carried out the same job on my wife's c max last weekend. The engineers only just recovered from me giving him a slap and now you've stuck one on him :D

Soldato
Same in my wife's S-Max. It's such a stupid way to do it. I don't get why it's such a difficult thing to do on some cars. On many cars I've come across that haven't been serviced by main dealers it seems to mean that they just don't bother changing them. This is from my wife's S-Max which only had a service stamp 10k miles before I did it. I don't even want to think about how old that actually was.

IMG-1977-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom