Imperator: Rome (Paradox's Next Grand Strategy Title)

Man of Honour
It looks vastly improved from when I last saw it.

My only reservation is the fact euiv is a sprawling metropolis of a game and I’ve spent hundreds of pounds and thousands of hours investing in it. But it has taken years to get to where it is now. I can’t believe any pdx game is “ready” from day of release anymore, and as much as I want to love this I’m just not sure I can afford it.

Having said that, if a season pass edition appears, that could swing it... time will tell.

Associate
I've been wanting to try one of the PDX games for a while now so I'm keeping an eye on this one hoping 'coming soon' is indeed soon-ish. I've been watching their streams albeit scanning through them as it's all a bit over my head having not played any of the previous titles.

The appeal of this one is that I can get in from the start whereas with CK2 and EU4 I'd be investing in games that are 5+ years old now and already have the hundreds of pounds worth of add-ons, which is very off-putting!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been wanting to try one of the PDX games for a while now so I'm keeping an eye on this one hoping 'coming soon' is indeed soon-ish. I've been watching their steams albeit scanning through them as it's all a bit over my head having not played any of the previous titles.

The appeal of this one is that I can get in from the start whereas with CK2 and EU4 I'd be investing in games that are 5+ years old now and already have the hundreds of pounds worth of add-ons, which is very off-putting!

I can't speak for CK2, but you don't need to spend hundreds on EUIV for a very good experience, wait for a sale and just get the best expansions and ignore the weaker ones, the content packs are completely uneccesary. That said if you're a noob I think you've got the right idea with waiting for Imperator, PDX consistently improve titles over time with patching and expansions, philstanbridge is right they're never finished on day 1, but they do actually fix bugs unlike Bethesda who release buggy trash and then abandon it, or pass the respsonsibilty of finishing the game to the mod community.

Man of Honour
It's not so much 'unfinished' maybe that was a bit unfair. It's more the fact they will have a DLC in the pipeline from release day, which will probably show within a month or so, which focusses on content which you would have expected in the full game. It makes the experience a bit frustrating, although I can understand why they milk it. PDX games are usually very good indeed. In fact, with EUIV and HOIIV I have more than 6,000 hours on the clock. HOI IV is at a point now or in the very near future (big update pending) where it is eminently playable and great fun, but it has taken years to get to that state. With each new release they improve the base game. So this one, in theory should be very polished from the off. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Associate
I am really looking forward to this! Love the PDX games and one set in Roman times which includes the best bits of the other great PDX games is a dream come true

Soldato
It's not so much 'unfinished' maybe that was a bit unfair. It's more the fact they will have a DLC in the pipeline from release day, which will probably show within a month or so, which focusses on content which you would have expected in the full game. It makes the experience a bit frustrating, although I can understand why they milk it. PDX games are usually very good indeed. In fact, with EUIV and HOIIV I have more than 6,000 hours on the clock. HOI IV is at a point now or in the very near future (big update pending) where it is eminently playable and great fun, but it has taken years to get to that state. With each new release they improve the base game. So this one, in theory should be very polished from the off. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I haven't touched HOI IV yet, I knew I'd be better off waiting, and tbh I'd had enough of WWII. I've just started MEIOU and Taxes for EUIV while I wait for Imperator. PDX are the only developer I waive my 'Do not buy on release' clause for.

Associate
I am following this as well but I hope they manage to sort out ui scaling for this. I am planning to upgrade my setup in the summer and none of their previous games work properly on 1440p. I plan on getting all I can out of CK2 and EU4 until I upgrade but if the same issues remain for Imperator then that is a stumbling block before purchase.

I joined the paradox train during EU3 divine wind so I never got into EU: Rome but from reading the main forums there is a lot of contention about their only being 1 praetor and the lack of naval combat. The fanbase seems really passionate, there is a lot of discussion about the geography of Germanian tribes and the accuracy of central europe. I don't know much about the era, I am just in awe of the size and scale of the map, it looks amazing.

Does anyone know what year it end in? I have not seen that anywhere.

Soldato
I've been wanting to try one of the PDX games for a while now so I'm keeping an eye on this one hoping 'coming soon' is indeed soon-ish. I've been watching their streams albeit scanning through them as it's all a bit over my head having not played any of the previous titles.

If you want to start with a new PDX grand strategy my advice is Imperator Rome. Is the newest title and an amalgamation of CK2 and EU4 mechanics.
Also you do not have to buy DLCs as there isn't any... yet..... :D

From my experience the last three years with PDX grand strategy games, I find all other strategy games like TW & CIV shallow and worthless of my time and money.
You can spend 1000 hours in EU4 for example, and find some new mechanics never thought exist before, while guaranteed at 500 hours you are still in "tutorial mode" learning new stuff on every game.

Also CK2 & EU4 even if they are 7 and 6 years old games respectively, are still active, receiving huge free patches, support and DLCs.
There are not some ancient games that time forgot like most of the Total War & CIV games came out during that period.
And you do not have to buy all the DLCs. EU4 the much have are Art of War, Common Sense and Rights of Man. The rest are flavour and different mechanics.
On CK2 these are Way of Life, Conclave, Charlemagne, Monks and Mystics, Rome & Reapers Due.

Also they are completely different games.
EU4 is more "traditional" strategy game about nations and war. (and a lot of diplomacy)

CK2 is a dynastic simulator of characters. And the only game ever that brings out emotions. You will laugh like a maniac in one playthrough, (especially if you become a Devil's Own member) while on a different you might become upset for the death of your ruler. Especially if you played him from child and fate dropped everything on him. Also no two games are the same and the game is vast on different playstyles etc.

Soldato
Soldato
Yep, also if someone pre-orders the Deluxe, having EU4 and linked the Steam account to PDX forum, gets a Roman unit pack if you reform the Roman Empire as Byzantium and couple of other countries.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm linked, I think you had to be to roll back to earlier versions IIRC.

Qel

Qel

Associate
Were they on sale? I haven't bothered with any since Cradle of Civilization. The new update was broken my MEIOU and Taxes mod, so I've started a Florence campaign instead.

If you've not received the EU4 dlc code what fixed it for me was to go to the Paradox account page, unlink and then relink my Steam account, got the email almost immediately with the key.

Associate
If you want to start with a new PDX grand strategy my advice is Imperator Rome. Is the newest title and an amalgamation of CK2 and EU4 mechanics.
Also you do not have to buy DLCs as there isn't any... yet..... :D

From my experience the last three years with PDX grand strategy games, I find all other strategy games like TW & CIV shallow and worthless of my time and money.
You can spend 1000 hours in EU4 for example, and find some new mechanics never thought exist before, while guaranteed at 500 hours you are still in "tutorial mode" learning new stuff on every game.

Also CK2 & EU4 even if they are 7 and 6 years old games respectively, are still active, receiving huge free patches, support and DLCs.
There are not some ancient games that time forgot like most of the Total War & CIV games came out during that period.
And you do not have to buy all the DLCs. EU4 the much have are Art of War, Common Sense and Rights of Man. The rest are flavour and different mechanics.
On CK2 these are Way of Life, Conclave, Charlemagne, Monks and Mystics, Rome & Reapers Due.

Also they are completely different games.
EU4 is more "traditional" strategy game about nations and war. (and a lot of diplomacy)

CK2 is a dynastic simulator of characters. And the only game ever that brings out emotions. You will laugh like a maniac in one playthrough, (especially if you become a Devil's Own member) while on a different you might become upset for the death of your ruler. Especially if you played him from child and fate dropped everything on him. Also no two games are the same and the game is vast on different playstyles etc.

The Lunar sale has got the better of me so I'll be buying CK2 or EU4 when I can decide which one to go with. I seem to change my mind on an hourly basis at the moment though as both are very tempting.

Having made the decision, it was kind of typical that PDX decided to announce the release date for Imperator on the same day! Although the more I’ve thought about it that’s probably a good thing as I could see myself picking up CK2 and EU4 otherwise.

One rookie question though, the flavor/unit packs with the deluxe edition of Imperator, are they likely to be released as DLC at a later date or are they pre-order content only?

Qel

Qel

Associate
The Lunar sale has got the better of me so I'll be buying CK2 or EU4 when I can decide which one to go with. I seem to change my mind on an hourly basis at the moment though as both are very tempting.

Having made the decision, it was kind of typical that PDX decided to announce the release date for Imperator on the same day! Although the more I’ve thought about it that’s probably a good thing as I could see myself picking up CK2 and EU4 otherwise.

One rookie question though, the flavor/unit packs with the deluxe edition of Imperator, are they likely to be released as DLC at a later date or are they pre-order content only?

Almost certainly yes, if you check out Stellaris I believe the original 'galaxy edition upgrade' is basically the deluxe version of that.

You don't need to buy all the DLC for whichever you choose, far from it. To take CK2 as an example if you leave aside the music and unit packs which are completely optional the rest largely give you more options as to what to play. Old Gods and Charlemagne are good and give new start dates so the kingdoms/religions are different. Holy Fury is the most recent and adds mostly events and systems but I find it to be good. Others though it depends on who you're likely to play as, e.g. if you're not interested in playing a Muslim ruler then Sword of Islam can be skipped, Jade Dragon only really has an impact if you're in contact with China for which you really need to be playing in the eastern half of the map. I'd just look through them all and see what appeals and what doesn't, but you don't need to buy them all.

The reddits and wikis for all the games are generally good and helpful too. But basically just have a go at something, set a small goal, try things, make mistakes and learn how things work and you'll soon pick things up. They also go on sale every steam sale so easy to pick up a few bits here that appeal to you most, try it out and buy more later if you really get into it.

Last edited:
Soldato

The deluxe pre-order pack will be released as separate DLC in couple of years time, given thats something PDX is doing since times immerolable. Does it worth the extra money? Personally yes, as you will buy it either way at later date at 50% discount. But each on their own :D

However if you plan to buy Imperator and EU4 dont do it before you buy EU4, register it on steam, create an account at PDX forums and link your steam account.
That way the moment you buy Imperator Deluxe you get the Roman unity pack, which is for those who create the roman empire in EU4 from Byzantium start. (i do not remember the other country but not Italy as is reformed nation)

One EU4 youtuber posted this yesterday
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/paradox-bundle-2019?partner=alzabohd

For £4.83 you get both CK2 and EU4, alongside Age of Wonders III, Darkest Hour, Magicka 2 and Age of Wonders 2
Also included CK2 Old Gods DLC

Humble bundle will give you Steam keys.

Now DLCs. Wrote above
EU4 the must have are Art of War, Common Sense and Rights of Man. The rest are flavour and different mechanics. There is a budle of those 3 with the game at -50% (-75 for base game) and additional -10% for the bundle on steam. If you register the game, and try to buy the bundle, steam will remove the game and only charge for the rest of the budle. But just check. I cannot do so, as I haave everything.

On CK2 must have DLCs are Way of Life, Conclave, Charlemagne, Monks and Mystics, Legacy of Rome & Reapers Due.

If you do not buy them now, it doesn't matter. There is always a sale every couple of months.
How to start playing them. EU4 do all the tutorials and get ready to feel the game as a tutorial over the next 300 hours minimum.
CK2 do the tutorial also, but as everyone says. Best tutorial is to try unify Ireland from 769 start (Carlemagne DLC needed)
That will teach you the hard way about succession laws, vassals, claims on counties and duchies and how to clear up (through murder speed) the succession line of nearby duchy to get in line of the throne your new wife or your son/daughter in law. So your children or granchildren inherit without war. Ah yeah. CK2 is proper medieval game.... Get ready to make your hands dirty killing people, standing on your path to a thrones.

If you get the Charlemagne campaign, and you get grasps the basics, I propose also try play some Saxon count or Duke on his conquest to unify the land.
Btw don't try to get the English culture in "England" from 769 start, until you have 700 hours in game as is not possible to do it as Saxon. You have to do it historically or through more complex mechanics of double culture flipping the same land.

Ah forgot. Both CK2 and EU4 will boost your knowledge on history as real events fire. Like War of the Roses, 30 years war, 100 years war, Westfalian treaty etc.

Associate
However if you plan to buy Imperator and EU4 dont do it before you buy EU4, register it on steam, create an account at PDX forums and link your steam account.
That way the moment you buy Imperator Deluxe you get the Roman unity pack, which is for those who create the roman empire in EU4 from Byzantium start. (i do not remember the other country but not Italy as is reformed nation)
I was leaning towards EU4 anyway so I think this seals the deal.

I’ll also pick up enough DLC to get me to the £30 mark for the additional discount and then see how I get on, I can then decide if to go with Imperator and if so which version.

Knowing my self like I do it won't be long before I'm on the slippery slope of buying up all the DLC though :D

Back
Top Bottom