• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

OcUK Staff
So once again AMD will have a missing product at that price segment (Fury/FuryX also went EOL long before a replacement).

They'd have to lower VII pricing to fill that gap, or simply just have nothing to offer at that price point.

They will simply have nothing, just Polaris.

They ramped production, I actually purchased I think more than anyone else in Europe, maybe even worldwide as I expected this to come, so we ordered around 10,000 Vega cards, expecting to last, but sales have been stronger than expected, so we will run out.

What is more likely to happen is our stock will diminish and I shall change my strategy to keeping product in stock is better than having no product, so they shall return to their normal pricing level, Vega 56 at £349-£399, Vega 64 at £449-£499 at which point AMD will still be available but not at such bargain level pricing.

They can't lower VII demand will outweigh supply and there is not much margin in it as its a professional level product, AMD work are far slimmer margins than NVIDIA do.

OcUK Staff
6GB has been shown to be no issue in gaming, besting many 8GB cards.

With Vega 56 available for less and 8G, that is where my personal money goes everytime. For those that do want 2060, we have an Asus coming in at £329 today fingers crossed. :)

But under £700, AMD wins every time for me personally right now, I just personally prefer their drivers and the fact they have more VRAM and once you undervolt them they are really offering incredible performance, plus I prefer their game bundle too.

Soldato
They can't lower VII demand will outweigh supply and there is not much margin in it as its a professional level product, AMD work are far slimmer margins than NVIDIA do.

Gibbo, card goes on sale at 14:00 yes? Asking because I am going round trip to solicitors, banks etc and hopefully I will be back by that time to place an order. :D

Permabanned
Didn't stop Nvidia with the 2080, only you get less ram and higher prices lol.
They were stopped over a month ago, it is why most competitors are now out of stock or charging very high prices.
Our stocks are very healthy, but at the same time we are now supplying our European partners with stock and getting business from USA, so we expect the product to be totally gone by April/May unfortunately which could give AMD some issues as NAVI is probably not coming on shelf until September time.

So they're likely to have just Polaris & VII's for a few months. That's a big gap in the pricing market.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo, card goes on sale at 14:00 yes? Asking because I am going round trip to solicitors, banks etc and hopefully I will be back by that time to place an order. :D

yes 14:00, you need to be very quick and pay with debit/credit card, do not use amazon or paypal as they are slower payment processors who take longer to verify and clear the order, thus more likely to miss out on the initial stock,

Associate
RTX us not proprietary in the slightest..Nvidia support open source Vulcan ray tracing, as well as Microsdt DX ray tracing.

AMD is perfectly free to support RTX using the exact same APIs

Why people keep spouting this nonsense I don't know

To clarify. I didn't say RTX was proprietary. I said the technology (both hardware and the API) Nvidia use to perform RTX is proprietary. In the same way they pushed G-Sync as proprietary.

If they used the MS DX RTX API and worked alongside developers to keep it open source then all GPUs would be able to use the feature in game. Some not as well as others obviously.

There are DX RTX demos available to the public that can run on most GPUs. Albeit that these demos do run better on cards used for rendering etc.

I suspect that the Radeon VII will have an advantage here being the best of both worlds and AMD may develop drivers to support DX RTX when it becomes mainstream.

OcUK Staff
So they're likely to have just Polaris & VII's for a few months. That's a big gap in the pricing market.

I shall make sure I do not run out on V56 and V64 by simply increasing price as my stock reduces just like I did on 1080Ti. Better to have product listed and in stock at high price then product not listed and no stock at all.

Permabanned
6GB has been shown to be no issue in gaming, besting many 8GB cards.

You're right iIt's not really an issue, Even 4gb cards only need minor tweaks to keep the memory usage down and based on the visual difference we often struggle to tell the difference going from ultra to high (usually textures) settings.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's on the edge in a number of the latest titles, only going to get worse. You might be good for 2019 before having to reduce settings.

Interestingly in the hardware unboxed RE2 settings video they mentioned that the game was saying it would need 13GB VRAM but still had no issues on 8GB cards.

Caporegime
To clarify. I didn't say RTX was proprietary. I said the technology (both hardware and the API) Nvidia use to perform RTX is proprietary. In the same way they pushed G-Sync as proprietary.

If they used the MS DX RTX API and worked alongside developers to keep it open source then all GPUs would be able to use the feature in game. Some not as well as others obviously.

There are DX RTX demos available to the public that can run on most GPUs. Albeit that these demos do run better on cards used for rendering etc.

I suspect that the Radeon VII will have an advantage here being the best of both worlds and AMD may develop drivers to support DX RTX when it becomes mainstream.

You are still not u understanding.

Nvidia did work along side Microsoft to support an open standard.

And is absutely free to support DXR in the same way Nvidia does. AMD just has to write the drivers and their GPUs would work in BFV and so on.

There is absolutely nothing proprietary about the API.

It is exactly the same as Nvidia supporting DX12. There is nothing proprietary

Back
Top Bottom