News on Wife (reason for being away for a day)

Caporegime
I think that I really needed this, it was like a wall in front of me moving on in any positive way, I mean how do you focus on life after loss if death and cancer is hanging over you, for the first time today I actually feel a little better.

I still cry a lot and miss her terribly but I feel like I can actually take a step.

Going out at the moment is a no no, the risk of falling or slipping that could rupture the bowel surgery or the 29cm stomach wound is not something I want to mess with, lets face it less than 4 weeks ago I was on an operating table for 6 hours with my intestines being played with, I am very lucky with the results.

But I can exercise in the house using virtual reality.

Natural Locomotion allows you to in most VR games (open worlds) walk/jog/run on the spot and have it translate to movement in game.

Couple that with SkyrimVR and FalloutVR and your exercising without even knowing you are doing it.

Now having a 15ft by 15ft room for VR has possibilities.

This does not mean I am closing myself off, I love to walk, you have to remember that when Paola was alive we often took 10 mile+ adventures with her in a wheelchair and me pushing her, basically anywhere it was possible to reach on foot and chair in stoke on trent we got there.

But my healing is going too well to chance doing any harm by going out on unstable slippy ground.

Also while I never got into Beat Saber I do like Fruit Ninja VR and AudioShield.

All of that will give a good cardio work out and the FalloutVR/SkyrimVR will strengthen my legs.

I am down to 114kg from 134kg and I do plan on keeping the weight off.

On another note the surgery and time in hospital has given a serious hit on my stamina, I just played 30 mins of Arizona Sunshine and I am completely shattered, feel like I have run a marathon. Got to remember to take it easy.

Once again the offer is there if anyone in the area wants to come over for a VR party, I will provide food and conversation, or just to chill and watch bad 90's B movies the offer is there, just trust message me the only condition is (not if you have flu/cold).

You certainly seem to be in better spirits, fantastic news! Here's wishing you all the best in your recover fella, you're a strong person and this will only make you stronger.

I'm really glad you seem to be starting to see through the clouds and enjoying yourself a bit.

Good luck mate :)

Soldato
Just a thought but would mods consider a name change to the thread title? Gives me a pang in the feels every time I get a notification as I know what the news is :(

Hows abouts 'The Legend of Calranthe'

Associate
OP
I had a walk around Hanley today, needed to put some money into the bank, I don't think it ever changes Money goes in bank money comes out of bank.

Got a bit of a sore throat but no temperature just a cough pretty sure its the end bit of one of those nasty colds we get over winter that leave you with a cough for weeks at a time. (I know damn well its not some sort of evil cancer thing because I've had so many scans and checkups).

Still tired and the most annoying thing is I need to wait another 3 weeks before I can hoover the house and give it a good clean.

Started watching the Marvel cinematic films from the start (Hulk) up to Winter Soldier now, it is such a pitty DC didn't stick with convictions/movies and keeps trying to reboot, they need to realise Marvel didn't force the issue, every movie stood on its own with just a little nod to the universe, DC keeps trying to play force catchup sticking too many people and plots in one movie.

Man of Honour
Started watching the Marvel cinematic films from the start (Hulk) up to Winter Soldier now, it is such a pitty DC didn't stick with convictions/movies and keeps trying to reboot, they need to realise Marvel didn't force the issue, every movie stood on its own with just a little nod to the universe, DC keeps trying to play force catchup sticking too many people and plots in one movie.

Good call, did this before infinity war came out was amazed how well the individual films hold up 10 years later & that they all work well in the over-arching story line. I know if you go into detail there are a few issues but honestly its amazing they did such a good job :)

Associate
OP
Good call, did this before infinity war came out was amazed how well the individual films hold up 10 years later & that they all work well in the over-arching story line. I know if you go into detail there are a few issues but honestly its amazing they did such a good job :)

Exactly, nothing is perfect but Marvel succeeded in a slow burn build up that worked, I mean before Iron Man everyone was ripping into Robert Downey Jr saying he wouldn't fit and after Chris did the Human torch how could he pull off Captain America, and the first Avengers movie, that many leading rolls all with face time and it didn't feel shoe horned in, this is the big mistake DC keeps making, slow burn, stop trying to play catch up with Marvel just do your own thing, make films that stand on there own and just put a tiny little push towards the Justice league 5-8 movies later and STOP for the love of god redoing the origin story of superman and batman we KNOW!.

Man of Honour
I remember laughing when they talked about the 10 year plan for the marvel movies, seemed inconceivable that they'd be able to hold the whole thing together for so long, with such a range of failed superhero actors on the cast but they've made it work.

I'm really not sure whats gone / going wrong with DC tbh, they've managed some amazing films with Noland's batman and Wonder-Woman then totally fluffed it with Suicide Squad, Batman vs Superman and Justice league. Feels like that overarching creative or story control Marvel have imposed just isn't there with DC

Soldato
I remember laughing when they talked about the 10 year plan for the marvel movies, seemed inconceivable that they'd be able to hold the whole thing together for so long, with such a range of failed superhero actors on the cast but they've made it work.

I'm really not sure whats gone / going wrong with DC tbh, they've managed some amazing films with Noland's batman and Wonder-Woman then totally fluffed it with Suicide Squad, Batman vs Superman and Justice league. Feels like that overarching creative or story control Marvel have imposed just isn't there with DC

The difference is that Marvel controls their movies. They know the characters and the source material, they have an overarching vision rooted firmly in the source material.

With DC, it's a load of different film companies that have bought a licence, and they all think they know better than the comics what a character should do and how they should act. While I thought that Wonder Woman wasn't bad (copied as it was from Captain America) and the first Superman wasn't bad, the only ones I'd consider successful were the Nolan Batmans that are really a self-contained entity of their own not related to the DCU.

Basically Marvel want to tell this great story, and is making money as a side effect of their dedication to telling a good story with good characters. DC have no control, and you end up with movie studios that just want to make money, and DC films miss the mark because they are just concentrating on the money above all else.

Associate
OP
The difference is that Marvel controls their movies. They know the characters and the source material, they have an overarching vision rooted firmly in the source material.

With DC, it's a load of different film companies that have bought a licence, and they all think they know better than the comics what a character should do and how they should act. While I thought that Wonder Woman wasn't bad (copied as it was from Captain America) and the first Superman wasn't bad, the only ones I'd consider successful were the Nolan Batmans that are really a self-contained entity of their own not related to the DCU.

Basically Marvel want to tell this great story, and is making money as a side effect of their dedication to telling a good story with good characters. DC have no control, and you end up with movie studios that just want to make money, and DC films miss the mark because they are just concentrating on the money above all else.

It is a pity because DC has some amazing characters and if they could do it "Justice", I mean the sad thing is with smallville they had the perfect lead in to movies, massive fan base, same with the Arrowverse both of those universes had/have the potential to go into cinema and sorry but Smallville Lex and the whole history followed created the best version of that character.

From what I understand the main person in charge of Marvel is a fan, he had a vision and more importantly he stuck with it and it shows.

Universal and a lot of other companies are trying to do cinematic universes but without that long term vision, hell it wouldn't have taken much to turn the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies into the start of the Universal monster movie universe, instead they try to reboot it with the new mummy and tried to bunch too many different legends in one movie, it felt more like a League of extraordinary gentlemen reboot than a mummy movie.

Soldato
It is a pity because DC has some amazing characters and if they could do it "Justice", I mean the sad thing is with smallville they had the perfect lead in to movies, massive fan base, same with the Arrowverse both of those universes had/have the potential to go into cinema and sorry but Smallville Lex and the whole history followed created the best version of that character.

From what I understand the main person in charge of Marvel is a fan, he had a vision and more importantly he stuck with it and it shows.

Universal and a lot of other companies are trying to do cinematic universes but without that long term vision, hell it wouldn't have taken much to turn the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies into the start of the Universal monster movie universe, instead they try to reboot it with the new mummy and tried to bunch too many different legends in one movie, it felt more like a League of extraordinary gentlemen reboot than a mummy movie.

Yeah, everyone wants to copy Marvel, but they want to get the success/money in the next movie, and maybe build a DCU. But they are not putting the work in, they don't have a twenty film vision with a story that all hangs together. Each DC movie is almost filmed like it's a standalone with no thought to the big picture, and it shows. It's all too fragmented because they don't have one studio overseeing it all with teams building the whole thing together like Marvel does. Even Lucasfilm is failing at the same problem with Star Wars, and they are both Disney companies.

I have a lot of respect for Zack Snyder because of Watchmen, and I can accept his darker DCU, but you can tell he's lost control. Just look at what they did to Flash, probably because some studio exec said, "make it funny like those Marvel movies", so a great character becomes comic relief.

And there's a good argument to be made that a dark DCU is the wrong way to go for many of the characters. Batman, sure, but Superman, Wonder Woman or Flash should be brighter, more hopeful characters if they are going to take their guide from the source material.

Associate
OP
I agree, personally I like the Arrowverse version of the Flash.

Marvel has worked its ass off with the tiny little end bits on each movie the odd word here and there, nothing felt forced though, we aren't stupid we don't like to be force fed content.

I had great hopes after force awakens but they caved and made the second one crazy bad and it didn't even follow basic starwars mechanics.

Same mistake they did with this latest version of Doctor who, I have nothing against the actress but the whole plotlines were too LGBT friendly too political, every episode had to have a message.

Associate
OP
I am doing a much better job at distracting myself, I don't know if or what my future holds, I am getting through a single Audio book a day (10-12 hours) playing in the background, I've burnt through Old Mans War, Monster hunter international, The Laundry files, all of them amazing sets of books. I am now continuing with the Dresden Files.

Game are still hit and miss, I like AC Odyssey but it seems a lot more grindy than Origins and I still prefer the ship combat in Black flag.

Does anyone know of a single player game or multiplayer that has the epic storyline of Mass effect, or AC, or Dragon age, looking for something mainly on PC that will draw me in completely.

Soldato
@Calranthe If you've not played it already the witcher 3 and its expansions are probably my all time favourite game! Battlefront 2 has a decent but painfully short single player story.

If you quite like vehicular combat and no story line, war thunder is good fun.

Caporegime
Try the world of Warcraft trial, that game had me hooked for a couple of years and it’s immense fun. It’s sub based (£15 a month?) so isn’t free but when I played it I played nothing else, I more than got my money’s worth out of it.

To add to Vidar’s War Thunder suggestion, World of Tanks is free and worth a go. Neither of these titles have any story however.

Destiny 2 kept me busy for ages too, but it’s a marmite game, idk if there’s a demo or free version.

Do you have a ps4?

Caporegime
Have you tried Elite Dangerous? Its the only (current) PC games I own and I haven't really had much time to play it aside from a few practice missions but it does look awesome. I fully intend to give it a go later in the year (along with buying a PS4 Pro for GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2) when I have more free time. It seems like you can get pretty immersed in it:

Soldato
I am doing a much better job at distracting myself, I don't know if or what my future holds, I am getting through a single Audio book a day (10-12 hours) playing in the background, I've burnt through Old Mans War, Monster hunter international, The Laundry files, all of them amazing sets of books. I am now continuing with the Dresden Files.

Game are still hit and miss, I like AC Odyssey but it seems a lot more grindy than Origins and I still prefer the ship combat in Black flag.

Does anyone know of a single player game or multiplayer that has the epic storyline of Mass effect, or AC, or Dragon age, looking for something mainly on PC that will draw me in completely.

I will always suggest Borderlands 2 - I'm 1500 hours and no sign of stopping soon! Regularly on sale on Steam.

As for series try Critical Role on youtube - voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons. It's brilliant! Available in podcast or video format - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i

Associate
OP
Storyline is really key, if I hadn't played through the entire Mass effect franchise 14 times I would play that, Multiplayer and co-op well that's okay but my head isn't in a place where I can commit to pure gameplay, Elite Dangerous I was one of the beta backers, I have a lot of hours in that game but it has no story except what you create yourself.

Borderlands 1-2 and the presequel I own and played them back when me and Paola used to game together.

Witcher 3 and its expansions were amazing, both myself and Wife played that game to death.

The only games I am really looking forward to is the new Cyberpunk game by the Witcher developer,
the System Shock remaster (I am a backer for that)
Wasteland 3 backed that
Phoenix Point backed that
Shenmue 3 backed that

All coming out over the next year.

Back
Top Bottom