*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Man of Honour
Whether or not he was easy. There is a definite sense of achievement to spend 150+ hours building up to him though.

He just should have been about 5 times harder than he actually was :p

He's a hundred times harder if you go and fight him immediately. I got a real sense of achievement out of beating him after he wrecked me three times.

Soldato
OP
Anyone else still playing or just me?

I just started over in Master Mode, man this is tough.

Much as I loved playing in normal mode I had pretty much everything, tons of money, good weapons, armour for every situation and limitless food. Using amiibo had also broken the game a bit as was too simple to replenish my supplies.

Barring bosses and the occasional lynel the game had become too easy and nothing felt like a threat.

I'd load my save and just ponder what to do with no clear idea, get bored and play something else. But now it almost feels like a different game as I'm having to be so careful.

I really enjoyed my first time on the great plateau discovering things and thinking about my actions as resources and hearts were so scarce.

I'm only in Kikaro village having done a few shrines but have that feeling back, it might not last and I may be overpowered again soon but until then I'm loving being back in Hyrule.

Associate
My nephew had his first go on my Switch at the weekend and I put BOTW on for him started it from scratch and now he's hooked, he loves it.
I put over 140 hours into it but never got around to the dlc.
I'll will go back to it soon though as its a very special game for me.

Man of Honour
Anyone else still playing or just me?

I just started over in Master Mode, man this is tough.

Much as I loved playing in normal mode I had pretty much everything, tons of money, good weapons, armour for every situation and limitless food. Using amiibo had also broken the game a bit as was too simple to replenish my supplies.

Barring bosses and the occasional lynel the game had become too easy and nothing felt like a threat.

I'd load my save and just ponder what to do with no clear idea, get bored and play something else. But now it almost feels like a different game as I'm having to be so careful.

I really enjoyed my first time on the great plateau discovering things and thinking about my actions as resources and hearts were so scarce.

I'm only in Kikaro village having done a few shrines but have that feeling back, it might not last and I may be overpowered again soon but until then I'm loving being back in Hyrule.

The first 20 hours of BotW was one of the best gaming experiences I've had, but after that point the game becomes far too easy and a lot of the magic disappears.

I'd like Nintendo to fix this in a future open world Zelda game, even above fixing all the other flaws such as lack of story, characters, music, bosses and dungeons (See Majoras Mask for a Zelda game where these things were done well).

Soldato
OP
The first 20 hours of BotW was one of the best gaming experiences I've had, but after that point the game becomes far too easy and a lot of the magic disappears.

I'd like Nintendo to fix this in a future open world Zelda game, even above fixing all the other flaws such as lack of story, characters, music, bosses and dungeons (See Majoras Mask for a Zelda game where these things were done well).

Yeah the early game is very special, particularly the first time.

it reminded me of playing Oblivion, when you escape out of the sewer into the light and there is a whole world there waiting to be explored. When you walk out the shrine of resurrection and the camera pans back and the music kicks in... just stunning.

I thought the music was done brilliantly, it doesn't have a typical soundtrack but the piano kicking in when you're galloping across the open plains seemed to fit perfectly.

Most of the old Zelda games didn't do it for me, too formulaic, the dungeons especially, it always felt like there was only one solution to each puzzle.

The next game will be very interesting, will they stick with the BotW style or will they try and please the old school fans more this time?

Soldato
OP
My son tried master mode after completing everything in normal mode (apart from all the Korok seeds) and he was like 'yeah, no'. If he can't do it then I definitely can't.

You have to play it very differently, almost becomes a stealth game early on. I'm far from an expert player, I really need to get better at parrying, dodging, back-flipping etc.

Since you don't get XP for killing enemies to level up there is little incentive to fight besides getting monster parts/weapons but weapons break so quick that you have to weigh up if it's worth it, the only way I could beat 3 blue bokoblins and get Hetsu his (?) maracas was to spam bombs from up high until I could get them in position to be blown off the cliff edge... far from elegant and took a while.

Man of Honour
The next game will be very interesting, will they stick with the BotW style or will they try and please the old school fans more this time?

Hopefully a proper 2D one seeing as there is no dedicated handheld console anymore for those.

You have to play it very differently, almost becomes a stealth game early on. I'm far from an expert player, I really need to get better at parrying, dodging, back-flipping etc.

Since you don't get XP for killing enemies to level up there is little incentive to fight besides getting monster parts/weapons but weapons break so quick that you have to weigh up if it's worth it, the only way I could beat 3 blue bokoblins and get Hetsu his (?) maracas was to spam bombs from up high until I could get them in position to be blown off the cliff edge... far from elegant and took a while.

Ah yes I forgot about that point. I skipped so many enemies in BotW as you get nothing worthwhile from them. Such a bizarre design.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes I forgot about that point. I skipped so many enemies in BotW as you get nothing worthwhile from them. Such a bizarre design.

I think I prefer it in some ways, having numbers flying about as you hit enemies is quite odd when you think about it but we're used to it.

On the bosses you do get a health bar at the top of the screen, it is a game after all but it feels less immersion breaking.

Man of Honour
I think I prefer it in some ways, having numbers flying about as you hit enemies is quite odd when you think about it but we're used to it.

On the bosses you do get a health bar at the top of the screen, it is a game after all but it feels less immersion breaking.

I don't need numbers, I just need a reason to fight them such as the materials they drop contributing towards permanent upgrades more than they currently do.

Soldato
OP
I don't need numbers, I just need a reason to fight them such as the materials they drop contributing towards permanent upgrades more than they currently do.

I get you, the only real reason (besides selling for rupees) is for armour upgrades but in reality you don't need many bokoblin fangs, horns or guts to upgrade them.

Soldato
I rebought this recently on Switch, as originally bought on Wii U.
Trying to fast travel less, and it's much more fun for exploration.

As above, there are so many fights where I just run away. There's not enough incentive to take things on. The opposite actually!

Soldato
OP
Trying to fast travel less, and it's much more fun for exploration.

I was doing exactly this last night travelling everywhere on horseback.

The fast travel medallion thing is another item I'm torn over, it was really handy when I wanted to farm dragon parts in my normal mode play-through or hit a difficult area and could fast travel to town, stock up on whatever was required or improve my armour and then go back to exactly where I was.

I only have limited play time so I'm not sure I'll stick to this long-term and there might be times I "cheat" and have to fast travel but I'm going to try.

I'm imposing a bunch of rules on myself which will make the game harder, I just need to ensure I still have run and it doesn't turn into a slog.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is the dlc for this game any good? I got it and completed it on release and had a blast, but then sold it. If the DLC is any good I might grab it again for another go.

I hope Nintendo release a new more powerful switch or something to add on to give the system more grunt to play games at a higher resolution. I had the game working on the PC at 4K to see what it looked like and the difference was night and day. All a new more powerful switch would have to offer is the ability to output the same games at 4K.

Caporegime
Really amuses me that so many are obsessed with gaming at 4k. Its been proven that the gaming experience is better with a higher/smoother framerate more than resolution beyond 1440p. :p

I wouldn't mind a more powerful Switch for a more solid 1080p 60fps experience. But I think what we have now is a good balance between power and portability.

Associate
Really amuses me that so many are obsessed with gaming at 4k. Its been proven that the gaming experience is better with a higher/smoother framerate more than resolution beyond 1440p. :p

I wouldn't mind a more powerful Switch for a more solid 1080p 60fps experience. But I think what we have now is a good balance between power and portability.
I've got a PS4 pro and an Xbox One X.. slight improvement but not enough to warrant the extra money.

Back
Top Bottom