Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
IMO, most people will get on well with a neutral high vision shoe. The problem is if you have some.more severe probation issues then a stability shoes may help, but it isn't always obvious.
And running stores will put too many people in to stability shoes, good stores will provide a lot of useful advice and will more carefully consider shoe choices based on you experiences, shoe history, prior injuries, training type etc.

However, ignoring gait analysis. You absolutely have to go to a local run store and try on many pairs to find the right shoe. You can't buy online until you have experience. Some shoes get great reviews but if they don't fit your feet or They don't feel right then they are useless. A good run store will give you several pairs to try, and based contour feed back can suggest other pairs or advise you on which one they thinkwould work best for your training.
This will ultimately save you a lot of time and money.

Even just getting the sizing right is impossible without trying them on. I normally have a size 10.5 but it varies from 10 to 11depending on the shoe. Then there is the whole width issue. Every manufacturer is different, and even shoes from the same company have very different fits

Running is a cheap sport. It is worth spending the dosh on good running shoes and pay for local running store for the advice. This doesn't mean never buy online. Once you have a shoe you like then by all means look for discounts and sales. But if you want to try something new go to your run store try on many pairs , and buy the ones which work well.

Also be aware that models can so.etimes change year to year, sometimes just superficial. When a new model comes out I go to the store to test it . If you are a frequent customer then theybrtpxislky can cut you a good deal. Not internet prices but close.

Soldato
Even just getting the sizing right is impossible without trying them on. I normally have a size 10.5 but it varies from 10 to 11depending on the shoe. Then there is the whole width issue. Every manufacturer is different, and even shoes from the same company have very different fits

Running is a cheap sport. It is worth spending the dosh on good running shoes and pay for local running store for the advice. This doesn't mean never buy online. Once you have a shoe you like then by all means look for discounts and sales. But if you want to try something new go to your run store try on many pairs , and buy the ones which work well.

Also be aware that models can so.etimes change year to year, sometimes just superficial. When a new model comes out I go to the store to test it . If you are a frequent customer then theybrtpxislky can cut you a good deal. Not internet prices but close.

Would very much agree with DP. I had multiple pairs of Nike Zoom Structures which I loved. Then one revision Nike changed the toe box and they no longer fitted me. Switched to Mizuno Wave Inspires after testing several pairs at a good shop

Associate
That's a shame about accuracy.

@Yucca for me it depends on the type of training your doing. If you're doing intervals, then as @D.P. says you don't want an optical one as they're slow to react to changes in activity. If you just want to generally track HR over long steady runs to get a rough idea of your HR zone i don't think they're too bad.

Well I want to use it to track football and hiking and gym workouts as well as running. Cant I use the built in optical sensor for long steady runs and then connect a strap heart rate monitor via bluetooth for when I'm doing something more challenging?! That was I get the best of both worlds?

Associate
I use a garmin 934. Main reason is 24hr battery life and can recharge on the run for long ultras.

Has a 920 before that which was almost as good but couldn't charge while recording .

Before that a 620, perfect for cssusk running.

At each upgrade GPS accuracy declined. That is s bummer

What is cssusk running?!

Caporegime
Well I want to use it to track football and hiking and gym workouts as well as running. Cant I use the built in optical sensor for long steady runs and then connect a strap heart rate monitor via bluetooth for when I'm doing something more challenging?! That was I get the best of both worlds?

Yes you can do that, and is what I tend to do. Even at easy pace running I find the wrist-based optical HR pretty useless though so as long as you ignore it or at least get experience enough to know when it is wrong you can save battery and just switch it off on your watch.

Even when doing easy running it is useful to track HR IMO, over a training cycle you should find that a given HR at a certain pace reduces, or better yet your easy pace gets faster while maintaining the same Heart Rate Reserve. However, this is mostly just feedback that your training is going well, it isn't predictive of performance (shorter races are best to predict longer races)

Associate
On the other hand, every time i check the optical HR against an external device is has been right so far. I wouldn't trust it for exercise but for day to day, it seems to be within 1 or 2 bpm (for me, ymmv)

Given that when I first got a Polar watch it came with a chest strap, I am used to just automatically putting it on these days.

Caporegime
I actually googled cssusk running to see if it was something interesting and google suggested "did you mean casual running"

Did you have a few drinks the other day or something. I think i recall a couple other posts which contained a pile of spelling mistakes, which is unusual for you.
yeah, a fw drinks while I'm on a business trip!

Found a great bar in Manchester with loads of special beers (Porter Street Beer house)

Caporegime
On the other hand, every time i check the optical HR against an external device is has been right so far. I wouldn't trust it for exercise but for day to day, it seems to be within 1 or 2 bpm (for me, ymmv)

Given that when I first got a Polar watch it came with a chest strap, I am used to just automatically putting it on these days.

Certainly when sleeping, sitting at the desk or just walking around it is accurate. They just seem tot totally fail as soon as you are actually exercising.

Soldato
Have tried trawling threads but can't narrow down anything. Looking for a running app that's great for everything. Not worried about paying for the app. Would like pace counter, maps, timing, etc etc. What's best?

Associate
I've finally got some new shoes. I've been waiting months for some Brooks Ghost 11's really looking forward to getting out in them.

I had a buy one get one free voucher for the shop too, so got a pair of Nike Zoom FlyKnitts aswell, they are like racing slippers!

Back
Top Bottom