Recovering files deleted by Disk Cleanup

Associate
I stupidly just ran Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 just now and selected to wipe my Downloads folder.

I then realised, after running it, I had a folder with pictures in there I wanted to keep.

Is there anything I can do to recover them? I unfortunately had no restore points / file history enabled so can't do that.

I downloaded recuva (a file recovery tool) and it managed to find several files that were in a recoverable state from downloads but none were the pictures :(

Anything else i can try?

Soldato
Recuva is pretty good, did you do a deep scan, other than that maybe try another recovery software, I would have thought it should come up though as recently deleted. Do you have the shred option turned on in CCC?

Associate
OP
Thanks, am running deep scan now but am worried gonna get same result. Can you recommend any other software (free)? I didn't use CCleaner to do the wipe. Just in built Disk Cleanup

Associate
OP
So deep scan found them... they were marked as green / recoverable. But when I go to open them once restored they don't open. Just get black screen :(

Associate
OP
Tbh after some digging I have realised virtually all the pics are either on facebook or my old Apple photostream. So I can spend some time gathering them all up again from various sources. Lesson learnt though. Don't store stuff in Downloads!

Soldato
Is your main OS drive an SSD? If so, then automatic garbage collection can kick in fairly quickly, making the files very hard to recover unless you act very fast.

Soldato
If you got either File History or System Restore turned on and you can restore all files deleted from Download folder, go to Download folder properties and click on previous versions tab and you will see all previous Download folder versions with date and time.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's an SSD. I have learnt my lesson. Damage was minor as have managed to get virtually all the pics back from other backups. Lost a couple though but nothing I can do I don't think. They might turn up somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom