alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Associate
Well got a text and email this morning, turned up when it said it would.

What a fantastic piece of kit! Glad I have a bigger desk coming tomorrow though, it's a monster.
No dead or stuck pixels, from what I can tell very minimum BLB from bottom left and right corners, but will look at that further when it gets darker, but it appears nothing to write home about. Overclocked to 120hz and no issues with that in the little I have messed about.
Fairly happy with the colour and contrast out of the box, but will have a play around with the settings over at TFT Central
Overall extremely happy, and my son will get a new gaming monitor for his xbox so win win.

I got a text yesterday saying it would be delivered by DHL and would arrive today instead. Then it arrived yesterday anyway. By pure fluke, my missus had popped home to get something just as the guy arrived.

What about the size of that box ?!?! I've had a 34" Dell ultrawide before and the box was nearly half the size of this monster!

I've only had a quick mess with the settings but so far so good - it's not quite as vibrant / vivid as the 27" Acer predator it's replacing, which was pretty much perfect out of the box but after I try a few settings, I'm sure Ill get it there.

Same with the BLB - some very minor brightness at the bottom corners but that's it (and to be honest it really doesn't bother me anyway). No dead/stuck pixels found yet, touch wood.

Quick pic of the beast in action. Ignore the cabling around the base, I'm sorting it ;)

alienware.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
You have a missus that lets you spend a grand on a gaming monitor.

You are truly are blessed.:p

She sees things like this as an opportunity - if I can afford £800 on a new monitor, I can afford to buy her a new phone, new pair or shoes etc. I generally budget for this whenever I buy something :p

Caporegime
How are people getting on with these monitors out of curiosity?

I've had two previously and both of them started to flicker at 120hz after about 4-6 weeks.
I returned both to the retailer I bought from.
Have to say I love mine and the G-Sync works brilliantly as new games are struggling to hit 60fps+ unless I lower some settings.

Associate
Just got mine today and absolutely stunning compared to my old XL2420T. A quick blast in AC:Odyssey and Witcher 3 totally confirmed that 21:9 is the way to go for immersion :)

I was worried about the IPS glow but in real life it's basically unnoticeable to me in normal gameplay, a small 5cm square area in lower left is visible in really dark scenes or pure black loading screens with my normal lighting conditions. I took a pic with auto exposure that looks way worse than real life but this is pretty accurate with lower exposure. And please excuse the cable mess for now!

ZmWZUtE.jpg

Associate
Nice, good to know it's hopefully the latest :) Manufactured Oct 2018 so assume that revision has been around a while and they've ironed out most of the minor things.

Associate
Hey, so what sort of bottom line price would people say it's worth paying for this.

Obvs there is a hope that prices of sub-800 might happen again, but what's the max that people who have it would pull the trigger on.

On another note, would this be overkill for work 80% of the time and maybe 20% gaming? Currently use a 27" 1440p and the idea of an extra slice of monitor space to have another full web-page/excel/whatever open at the same time appeals...

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Hey, so what sort of bottom line price would people say it's worth paying for this.

Obvs there is a hope that prices of sub-800 might happen again, but what's the max that people who have it would pull the trigger on.

On another note, would this be overkill for work 80% of the time and maybe 20% gaming? Currently use a 27" 1440p and the idea of an extra slice of monitor space to have another full web-page/excel/whatever open at the same time appeals...

Personally, I wouldn't pay over £800, but it depends how patient you are. If you are approaching £1000, I would give consideration to the LG 34GK950F, which is a FreeSync monitor, but it appears to be GSYNC Compatible; and offers 144Hz native refresh rate and a wider colour gamut.

Soldato

I bought an UW monitor expressly to have a better gaming experience (which it does handsomely) , but the added screen space is a welcome bonus for non-gaming as well. Being able to have to two web pages on-screen at once is very nice.

Associate
Personally, I wouldn't pay over £800, but it depends how patient you are. If you are approaching £1000, I would give consideration to the LG 34GK950F, which is a FreeSync monitor, but it appears to be GSYNC Compatible; and offers 144Hz native refresh rate and a wider colour gamut.

Interesting, so this LG works well with GSYNC? Pity you can't find one in stock anywhere!!

Associate
How are people getting on with these monitors out of curiosity?

I've had two previously and both of them started to flicker at 120hz after about 4-6 weeks.
I returned both to the retailer I bought from.

Fantastic monitor but I returned mine as I play in a bright room and made it impossible to use during bright days.

Back
Top Bottom