2019 PDC World Darts Championships

Soldato
Durrant lost in the last 128 round of day 1.
Will need to play a lot better to make it through.

Lorraine Winstanley is through to the last 64. Beat John Part (sad to see him tumble down the rankings so badly) 5 - 3

Soldato
I don't follow much PDC darts (no Sky) but I thought qualifying would be easy for Durrant. I see Dave Chisnall stealing a living and he's always gash when playing PDC events on ITV4. :p

Caporegime
Now that does surprise me. That's just not good enough.

A mate of mine used to play on the PDC youth tour, averaged around 90-93 he said and found it very tough going. Played Dimitri van den Bergh once at Q school and battered 4-0. He said Dimitri was blind drunk as well :D
Durrant lost in the final yesterday. So close. But he has picked up ranking points though, so he still has a squeak of getting there. Waites on the other hand, has failed miserably.

Soldato
OP
Some recognisable names seriously struggling with Q school. Andy Hamilton, Jamie Caven, Stuart Kellett, Andy Jenkins (remember him?!), Diogo Portela, Scott Waites all outside the top 100 of the 300+ that entered.

As it stands the tour cards are going to:

Carl Wilkinson
Jonathan Worsley
Barrie Bates
Adrian Gray (was this the guy that beat Taylor in the Grand Prix years ago?)
Andy Boulton
Jamie Bain
Callan Rydz
Glen Durrant
Matt Padgett
Conan Whitehead
Cameron Menzies

Could all change mind you.

Caporegime
Some recognisable names seriously struggling with Q school. Andy Hamilton, Jamie Caven, Stuart Kellett, Andy Jenkins (remember him?!), Diogo Portela, Scott Waites all outside the top 100 of the 300+ that entered.

As it stands the tour cards are going to:

Carl Wilkinson
Jonathan Worsley
Barrie Bates
Adrian Gray (was this the guy that beat Taylor in the Grand Prix years ago?)
Andy Boulton
Jamie Bain
Callan Rydz
Glen Durrant
Matt Padgett
Conan Whitehead
Cameron Menzies

Could all change mind you.
Duzza’s Done enough :) Into the last 16 and guaranteed a tour card now. Great stuff!

Yep, Gray beat Taylor in the GP in 2007. Fell right off for years but finding his form again. I always remember him as the bloke who plays with his collar up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is ridiculous. Anderson was included based on order of merit rather than wildcard pick, so by rights his spot should go to the highest ranked player not already included (Whitlock). If a PDC wildcard had pulled out then I could kind of understand it.
Having 9 replacements also compromises the integrity of the competition because it means unlike a normal league you aren't playing the same set of players - some players might get an 'easier' opponent from the 9.
It's also kind of a bit lame that we just get one match from each of them, what happens if they get a big victory, it will feel a bit shallow (prize money aside) given that they don't get to progress any further or even chance their arm against another of the elite.

That said I can see that it makes sense from a marketing / entertainment perspective and as I said earlier, Hearn will have been desperate to find an excuse for Max Hopp to feature in Berlin. They've also gone with a few players who caused 'upsets' at the world championship to maintain the buzz (let's be honest, two months ago anyone that suggested you'd see Humphries or Aspinall in the PL would have been laughed out of town). Glenn Durrant given an opportunity also makes sense.

Does anyone know if the prize money will count towards order of merit?

Soldato
I was just there live. Some hostility at Wade and Price, but a good night. Lower quality than last year though.

Interested in why you say it was lower quality than last year, in what way?

Based on averages, number of 180's and how close the games were, this year was statistically far above 2018 in Newcastle.

Overall Average:
2018 - 98.50
2019 - 100.19

Number of 180s:
2018 - 32
2019 - 37

Scores:
2018 - 7-2, 7-3, 7-4, 7-4 & 6-6 (53 legs)
2019 - 7-4, 7-4, 7-5, 6-6 & 6-6 (58 legs)

Back
Top Bottom