*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Caporegime
So what do we think about the possibility of AJ fighting Miller in Madison Square Garden? On the fence with this, he should win pretty easily.

He’ll KO him easily. Miller hasn’t got the movement to trouble or avoid AJ. I just hate it that he’s fighting in America. He’s a 4 belt champ from Britain. People should be coming to here to challenge him. Once again, it’s all about money with Eddie. Stuff the fans who pay the money and now have to stay up till 4 in the morning to watch it. He couldn’t give a toss about them.

Soldato
He’ll KO him easily. Miller hasn’t got the movement to trouble or avoid AJ. I just hate it that he’s fighting in America. He’s a 4 belt champ from Britain. People should be coming to here to challenge him. Once again, it’s all about money with Eddie. Stuff the fans who pay the money and now have to stay up till 4 in the morning to watch it. He couldn’t give a toss about them.

It won't be 4am its on the East coast not the West. :)

Soldato
So what do we think about the possibility of AJ fighting Miller in Madison Square Garden? On the fence with this, he should win pretty easily.

Not fussed one way or another about the Miller fight. Miller's level is pretty much unknown at this stage due to the level of his opponents so far.

Out of the opponents available then it is potentially the best of the bunch (assuming Wilder v Fury rematch is going ahead).

Permabanned
^ I haven't watched Pulev in a few years but maybe he would've been better than Miller, and I think a rematch with Whyte would be at least decent if he's motivated and not just looking for the payday. Still, they would only slightly boost his resume at most; yeah, Fury and Wilder are the only ones that would significantly enhance his resume. Ideally Joshua fights both Fury and Wilder within the next 18 months (and perhaps rematches), as the division could really use that.

Soldato
^ I haven't watched Pulev in a few years but maybe he would've been better than Miller, and I think a rematch with Whyte would be at least decent if he's motivated and not just looking for the payday. Still, they would only slightly boost his resume at most; yeah, Fury and Wilder are the only ones that would significantly enhance his resume. Ideally Joshua fights both Fury and Wilder within the next 18 months (and perhaps rematches), as the division could really use that.

Pulev would have been good but only to get his mandatory out of the way (I believe Pulev is still the IBF mandatory) but he's looked horrible in his past few fights.
Whyte hasn't exactly looked good recently either, was losing to Chisora until he knocked him out, scraped past Parker and the shape Browne showed up in was terrible.
Ortiz looked decent against Wilder but horrible in his few fights before that.

Miller is at least an unknown quantity at the moment, may be decent but who knows with his level of opponents so far. Can't see it lasting long or doing anything for Joshua's reputation but as far as a contest goes, it potentially would be a better fight than the 3 above (Miller at least is active).
It's purely a marketing exercise to get Joshua to be better known in the US and part of that DAZN deal.

Permabanned
Yeah, didn't know that about Pulev. As for Whyte, I still think if he's very motivated and reasonably fitter (and IIRC he had a bad shoulder or something in the Joshua fight) it'd be decent, partly based on him and Joshua having genuine "beef", I believe, whereas with Whyte-Chisora it seemed fake and the fights themselves were so sloppy based on their combined styles IMO - I'm no expert though. Ortiz is just too old and looked good against Wilder simply because Wilder lacks on fundamentals, but of course his power is legit and I want to see how it does against Joshua.

I don't keep up with the politics/money, but I certainly hope Miller is a stepping stone to a better fight for Joshua.

Permabanned
Can't see how that deal is good for the division. Yes, cross-platform fights, such as Lewis-Tyson and Mayweather-Pacquiao, have been made in the past, but they required huge, world-wide demand. I think it's very possible now that Fury/Wilder/Joshua never fight each other (again in the case of Fury-Wilder).

IIRC it's:

Hearn: Joshua, Chisora, Takam, Povetkin, Hrgovic, Whyte?*
Warren/Arum: Fury, Pulev, Jennings, Rivas, Ruiz
Haymon: Wilder, Breazeale, Kownacki, Joyce.
(*Whyte may switch platforms (probably to Haymon) if Hearn doesn't offer him a better deal than the one Whyte saw as insulting a few months ago and quickly turned down.)

I can see each platform keeping everything in-house i.e. no platform co-operation. Grim thought, as that would **** the division just when it seemed to be getting good.

Soldato
Can't see how that deal is good for the division. Yes, cross-platform fights, such as Lewis-Tyson and Mayweather-Pacquiao, have been made in the past, but they required huge, world-wide demand. I think it's very possible now that Fury/Wilder/Joshua never fight each other (again in the case of Fury-Wilder).

IIRC it's:

Hearn: Joshua, Chisora, Takam, Povetkin, Hrgovic, Whyte?*
Warren/Arum: Fury, Pulev, Jennings, Rivas, Ruiz
Haymon: Wilder, Breazeale, Kownacki, Joyce.
(*Whyte may switch platforms (probably to Haymon) if Hearn doesn't offer him a better deal than the one Whyte saw as insulting a few months ago and quickly turned down.)

I can see each platform keeping everything in-house i.e. no platform co-operation. Grim thought, as that would **** the division just when it seemed to be getting good.

Ultimately money talks the fights will happened. If the boxers themselves want it.

Permabanned
Yeah, my post was obviously skeptical, from a fan perspective. Fury-Wilder rematch is the most likely to happen, though Fury's deal may put it off for a while as I think ESPN will want a nice safe showcase fight for Fury's debut with them. However, while Haymon might work with Warren or Hearn at different times, I really doubt Warren and Hearn will work together, and I don't think the boxers will be too bothered. My main hope was/is that Fury/Wilder/Joshua all fight each other, with a few rematches too, as that would be great for the division - but that hope has faded now, though not totally.

Edit: I forgot Haymon and Arum (who is sided with Warren) dislike each other. And that Hearn and Joshua have implied that they don't want to face Fury, e.g. after the Fury-Wilder fight, Joshua called out Wilder but not Fury, and Hearn said Fury would be a "boring" fight for Joshua. IMO Fury would clearly outbox Joshua and make him look foolish at times, hence both Hearn and Joshua don't want Fury - but if Fury had the WBC belt and wasn't tied to ESPN (a rival of DAZN, which Joshua is tied to), it'd be a lot harder for them to avoid Fury.

But I'm thinking too far ahead / speculating too much :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom