• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
Now that AMD have shown their hand with RVII, the landscapes changed a bit.

There's been a lot of negativity since launch on RTX, not just from forum users/reviewers and people that bought it, but from the PC community by large, has this enforced/changed your opinion on purchasing into RTX?

Personally, very disappointed in RTX especially as NV GFE recommended settings disables RTX@1440p on my 2070, title support is a joke taking into account the sometimes huge double increase in cost, considering we are 5 months in, ~£500 for a few reflective puddles in one title at low fps-again, is a joke.

DLSS is AWOL and the 14+??? RTX game support claim has obviously just been a big fat lie from Nv in attempt to push more sales-'It just works'?

Obviously it doesn't.

Unless Nv start financing devs to implement features, by the lack of them Nv isn't bankrolling their tech into games which is disappointing to say the least as I thought the price increase was in part to finance RTX features.

Price is still insane in my opinion but if I was after a new GPU, would I recommend a 2080 over a VII or a 2070 over V56?

Probably not, I'd say buy neither and get a normal priced gpu instead and save hundreds.

Anyone else sitting with RTX unhappy with RT/DLSS support or quite content with RTX buy in?

Last edited:
Don
I have a 2080 and to be honest I am not that fussed either way with RT. I am more interested in DLSS, which is also having a slow take up strangely.

All in all I think it is always the same for early apodters of any technology.

Mobster
Soldato
RTX cards are a win for me. I have one, I'm enjoying it, so its a win.

RVII seems good, they have finally caught up with a 1080Ti. AMD should be proud of that achievement.

Soldato
Once realtime raytracing is a thing, the current 1st gen RTX cards will be too obsolete to play any decent games.

I think RTX 5 years on will be a win. RTX will be on it's 3rd gen by then with a 4th gen due in 6 months. They'll be hundreds of raytracing games available by then.

Soldato
They are just an iPhone 8 or what ever it was that the first ludicrously priced phone to me, nothing more than something to ponder on how the hell do they get that expensive and who in the right mind buys them. Clever marketing making people beleive they have to have new tech that doesnt really do anything especially for the cost and even better still doesnt even really exist in terms of games that utilise it

Absolutely zero interest from my perspective

Soldato
RTX cards are a win for me. I have one, I'm enjoying it, so its a win.

RVII seems good, they have finally caught up with a 1080Ti. AMD should be proud of that achievement.

Do you really think realtime raytracing is a win after 6 months? as I think the OP meant the RTX feature specifically, not RTX cards in general.

Associate

I don't think catching up to a 2 year old card is anything to be proud of. Certainly not at the asking price of the R7.
Now seems like a bad time for GPUs all around. I hope AMD come back with something much better next time around, and I also hope that DLSS and RT begin showing up in games and showing off what they are capable of.

Soldato
There is nothing to touch the 2080ti in terms of it's frame pushing power.

That's the only reason to buy one - forget the extra "features". Once they are main stream, there will be faster cards out.

Soldato
Anyone else sitting with RTX unhappy with support or quite content with RTX buy in?

I have a 2080 Ti and I am not unhappy, even if it does sound like a dishwasher. I don't use ray tracing at all but I've had a huge performance boost. I view RT much like Ageia's PhysX - in a generation or two it will be standard but right now it's a taster. I've had blistering performance for 5 months and it's still better than the R7

Caporegime
Fail, where is tomb raider with it's rtx features? Where is the dlss implementation in games? Nvidia made out like dlss would take a few days to put into a game and yet still zero. 1 game supporting ray tracing and 2 benchmarks supporting ray tracing and dlss after 5 months.

Soldato
RTX features are a scam, but expected as much. The only one that would've been even half way interesting, DLSS 2x, is basically stillborn and buried at this point. The real disappointment for me with the Turing cards is the gimped amounts of vram. The 2060 in particular is woeful with just 6gb, though the 2080 was lame as well (at least in this case there's an alternative now - the VII). Had they went with 8gb for 2060 & 11gb for 2080 it would've been okay and the cards made sense as a purchase, but as it stands and with the competitive Vega pricing, it's simply ridiculous.

Not that it really matters, they'll still sell 10000s, which I suppose is why they did it in the first place.

Just hope their next launch will be more exciting, hopefully they're trying to go big for 7nm in 2020.

Soldato
There is nothing to touch the 2080ti in terms of it's frame pushing power.
That's the only reason to buy one - forget the extra "features". Once they are main stream, there will be faster cards out.

However the extra <30% performance over the RTX2080/VII/1080Ti comes at 100% price increase. So that is a reason for everyone not to buy one.

Back
Top Bottom