Hong Kong holiday

Caporegime
another thing, Butterfly on Prat although close, it is not directly above a MTR station like the Cordis is, if it rains, you will beg me to put you in the Cordis! :p

The map doesn't show it, but you can get from your room to the MTR station underground without setting your foot outside.

The Cordis also starts on like the 25th floor or something high up so you are pretty much guaranteed a view from every room.

KcIqfUT.png

bnSujaY.png

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the information Raymond what the best way to get from the airport to the hotel I have read Uber can be annoying so it just a red taxi a good way?

I take it the MTR is pretty easy to use I been on ones in Singapore and Seoul and they was nice and easy do they do like a 3 day pass?

Caporegime
Thanks for the information Raymond what the best way to get from the airport to the hotel I have read Uber can be annoying so it just a red taxi a good way?

I take it the MTR is pretty easy to use I been on ones in Singapore and Seoul and they was nice and easy do they do like a 3 day pass?

The MTR can take you right to the station for the Cordis, but otherwise a taxi (red one). I took the taxi as my friend was ill, it was about £30 or something. It’s a 35min or so ride. The taxi will take you to the ground floor, but the reception of the hotel is at the 3rd or 4th floor.

For the MTR you just follow the sign and get off at the **** Kok station, then follow the sign for the Cordis.

Uber is fine but it’s not much cheaper than taxi, the advantage of course is you don’t need to speak to the driver for directions.

But honestly the MTR will take you everywhere you need to go.

Soldato
OP
Looking at the route to Cordis on MTR app seems like you got to change lines a few times not so straight forward.

Ye I really want to do Lion rock the view looks so amazing any other hikes worth doing?

Associate
Looking at the route to Cordis on MTR app seems like you got to change lines a few times not so straight forward.

Ye I really want to do Lion rock the view looks so amazing any other hikes worth doing?

To get from HKIA to the Cordis you can take the Airport Express to Hong Kong station on HK island then transfer through the walkways to Central. Change to the Tsuen Wan (Red) Line from Central northbound to **** Kok. You can get directly into the Cordis by taking the Mall exit of the MTR and taking the escalator up two levels and it brings you into the reception area of the hotel. Been there before and going again March 2019.

Caporegime

If I’m on my own I’d take the MTR as I know HK better than I know London and the connections don’t bother me but I was with a friend and TBH, taking the taxi might be a better overall decision especially if you didn’t sleep on the way there and jet lagged.

You change twice, and its £5 per person.

A Taxi would be 3 to 4 times the cost, the traffic wasn't that bad as most of the way there is on their motorway so it was relatively quick. There was a tiny bit of traffic once into Kowloon but it was only about 10 mins in traffic.

He5tv4V.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to be in Hong Kong during in April too. It's the fourth time I've been in twenty years, so have done a large number of touristy places already like Ocean park, Disney, big Buddha, Vicky peak, tai o - is any worth a second/third visit?

I would welcome a recommendation for one of the outlying islands to visit for a couple of days and maybe experience of travelling along the new bridge.

Soldato
Taxi from airport to Cordis for under £30 offers you the easiest and most convenient way of getting to the hotel, personal preference really but after a long flight I just want to get to the hotel as quick and easy as possible.

OP - I'm sure you have this on your checklist already but get an Octopus card when you get there (Cordis will be able to provide you one) and load it up with £10-15 or so for MTR. You can use the card in the 7/11 convenience stores too which is quite handy.

Caporegime
I'm going to be in Hong Kong during in April too. It's the fourth time I've been in twenty years, so have done a large number of touristy places already like Ocean park, Disney, big Buddha, Vicky peak, tai o - is any worth a second/third visit?

I would welcome a recommendation for one of the outlying islands to visit for a couple of days and maybe experience of travelling along the new bridge.

Victoria Peak is always worth a visit, there is a look out point on the walking path which is about 20min walk that is the best view but not most written about. You can ask @SpartaK what I mean. ;)

The big reason to HK is for the food for me, things like Big Buddha you go once and that's enough, unless you really want to go at another time of day, once is enough. I rather go to the Chi Lin Nunnery than the Big Buddha again. The Nunnery is a LOT less touristy, with a great garden, a golden pavilion and just a more spiritual place than the Big Buddha.

Temple Street Night Market is always a good shout to kill time, street food and tat and all that.

Soldato
Victoria Peak is always worth a visit, there is a look out point on the walking path which is about 20min walk that is the best view but not most written about. You can ask @SpartaK what I mean. ;)

Definitely worth the 20 minute walk, a much better view!

I think the next time I go I will take a taxi up, done the peak tram twice and I don't think I'd bother queuing up for one again. If you do want to go however, get a fasttrack from Klook.

Associate
Definitely worth the 20 minute walk, a much better view!

I think the next time I go I will take a taxi up, done the peak tram twice and I don't think I'd bother queuing up for one again. If you do want to go however, get a fasttrack from Klook.

Any benefit on taking a taxi than say the 15 bus from Admiralty or the Star Ferry?

Associate

If you're a keen sunset photographer or just want to see the harbour you could also look at Red Burner Summit in Braemar Hill, its the place to go for catching the sunset over HK island and offers amazing views, nice little hike too! not hugely taxing.

Caporegime
Any benefit on taking a taxi than say the 15 bus from Admiralty or the Star Ferry?

The way to go from your hotel in Kowloon (or in the Cordis) is…

Out of your room, head downstairs to Langham Place shopping mall, down a few Escalators to the MTR station in the basement.
Head to East Tsim Sha Tsui station (you can say TST if you can't pronounce it properly).

Then cross over the road to Avenue of Stars which you can see across the harbour.

Take some photos, look at the view.

SpAzxDB.jpg

Now head west and you will see a clock tower, there you are at the Ferry Terminal. Use your Octopus card to go through the gate and head to Central.

Once out the other end get in a taxi and ask for the Peak, it will cost about £5-6.

Otherwise, if you want to take the peak tram, you will need to make your way from Central Ferry terminal to the peak tram station which you can walk or take the Tram (the really cheap one)

The peak tram cost like £5 or so per person so it is actually cheaper to take a taxi.

Caporegime
Blah. Stupid. I'll read your previous post before commenting :D

RaymondLin - How much is a taxi usually to the peak?

About a fiver, really cheap. Taxi in HK is generally dirt cheap.

Re - tips, you can, and I do, I normally just round it up. So if its like $56 HK, I just give him $60 and say keep the change.

Oh, VERY important. If you can't see the peak from Kowloon then don't bother heading up there as you can't see back down.

See my previous photo, this semi circular scoop building is the peak. If you can't see this from ground level then don't waste your time going up there. The path is actually to the right of that as you look at it.

NkZhao9.png

Back
Top Bottom