• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Associate
I personally feel that the RTX and DLSS tech is great, i purchased my 2080ti to be a part of this new generation and to experience first hand how or if it works.

I, on the other hand cannot disagree that the delivery and implementation of this into any software so far other than BF5 and 3D Mark has been a complete and utter disappointment, but hey, when it comes ill be ready....

Associate
Its not been an easy start but now 1080Ti, 1080 are gone and 1070Ti is also practically gone and a just a few straggling 1070's left the RTX range sales wise is certainly picking up especially the 2070's and cheaper 2080's. :)

The sad takeaway here is if the old cards were still available the RTX series would probably be really struggling. To sell an update you either need it to be better value or have a new feature. The value proposition certainly isn't there so nvidia clearly banked on the ray tracing, and although real-time ray tracing is the most exciting development I've seen in ages, it's implementation has been almost non-existant.

Last edited:
Soldato
The question I have for people that bought RTX what return rate would you be happy with?

1. Game
10. Games?

Ray tracing only or DLSS

For me for the price and it just works I expect least 10 games by the next RTX GPU

Having read DLSS might not come to online games either or if it does won't show massive gains in performance because how the AI needs to work it finds it hard to calculate on a random multiplayer game.
A benchmark the AI can get a predictable calculation every time resulting in performance gains.

Associate
I upgraded from an EVGA 1070 FTW to a Founder's Edition 2080. I have really enjoyed tinkering with ray tracing in BF5, it's often subtle, but from time to time it manages to look so good you wonder how you didn't notice the absence of real reflections before - but there really can be no denying that the roll out of RT in games has been a bit of a failure for Nvidia.

Caporegime
Can't see it being a fail, as its only just arrived on cards, like DLSS, the games using them are a coming, there aren't going to be thousands upon thousands using them overnight, takes time.

Caporegime
By the same token DX12 must be a failure,

Even the venerable Radeon 9700pro must have been a failure since there were not DX( programmable pixel shader games available after 5 months. That must have been pixel shaders were destined to failure. Oh, that is right, it took developers time to work the new technology.

Associate

Even the venerable Radeon 9700pro must have been a failure since there were not DX( programmable pixel shader games available after 5 months. That must have been pixel shaders were destined to failure. Oh, that is right, it took developers time to work the new technology.

But the 9700pro was also a huge performance jump over previous generations for a competitive price. Even without new technology it was a great card.

Associate
Hopefully this year Nvidia can get developers to create games that enable the cards full functionality, I am absolutely baffled with cost of these cards and just hope this pricing won't become the norm.

Associate
Happy I picked up a second hand 1080ti a few months back, RTX is low ram, ray tracing is a scam and once it is good this first gen of cards will be to underpowered to use it anyway, NVIDIA must file for bankruptcy soon they are a joke at this point.

Soldato

Arguably you could say DX12 is a still a failure as such because the uptake is still poor. More games use DX11 or less than DX12 even now. So devs didnt know RTX was coming ?

Soldato

Absolutely unless you count the four DX12 only games as a success? DX12 is. A huge failure. It’s tacked on implementation in DX11 games doesn’t help it either!

Associate
Had a 2080 since December, upgraded from a 1080 as the upgrade cost me £70 so went for it. No regrets, card is silent, runs very cool and demolishes most things at 3440x1440. Not bothered about RTX at this stage but DLSS could prove to be very worthwhile if it gets the uptake from developers. I think the GPU prices over last cpl of years are disgusting and there is no way i would have bought one at full price.

Caporegime
Absolutely unless you count the four DX12 only games as a success? DX12 is. A huge failure. It’s tacked on implementation in DX11 games doesn’t help it either!

I actually agree that DX12 is a failure but that doesn't stop some AMD diehards proclaiming it to be the second coming of christ

Caporegime
But the 9700pro was also a huge performance jump over previous generations for a competitive price. Even without new technology it was a great card.

Turing has a very decent jump in performance considering it is on the same node.

The price to performance ratio does suck though, but that isn't really the discussion of this thread, which is about feature uptake

Back
Top Bottom