• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah in safe mode purge out DDU / afterburner etc. May aswell remove the AMD driver while your there. Go download a previous version (im on 18.12.1).

So nothing works. It's a gigabyte aorus x470 mb, antec 750 watt. When I am in safe mode everything works. When I boot windows it freezes at windows loading screen, so I cannot even install adrenalin drivers. I cannot install the drivers in safe mode either, as the driver isn't signed.

Any ideas?

Associate
Sounds like a memory issue. Especially if it's Gigabyte. Make sure DOCP is set in UEFI and then lower bandwidth down by one grade (3200 to 2933MHz) for instance. If still freezing remove all but one stick of RAM and all HD's/SSD's except the OS drive and try booting again. Still freezing, reset the UEFI to optimised defaults and try again.

Still failing at that point is when you start to test the hardware in other known good motherboards and devices, then test other stuff in that motherboard for a sanity check.

Also check for updated UEFI from Gigabyte. Could be a problem already solved in newer BIOS.

Associate
When I insert my 1060 everything works perfect after installation of Nvidia drivers... No memory issues, windows boots normally, everything works. When I insert the Vega 64 it just will not boot. Under device manager I can see it says RX Vega.

Will try some other stuff.

Associate
It works now! So i think the issue was i didnt unplug my network cable. Apparently Nvidia cars its ok to let the network cable stay in the computer when doing driver installation etc. When i unplugged it windows started normally without any issues. Could install all the Adrenalin drivers etc. After i installed the drivers i plugged in the network cable again, and have worked since! :)

Thanks for the help.

Associate
Got to say I've been pleased with my Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 but I'm not sure how it stacks up to others as I've not gone for a maximum clocks attempt yet.

Undervolted and overclocked at 50% power limit got HBM P3 and core P4 to P7 all set at 950mv. Memory is stable at 1020mhz, P7 set at 1582mhz which gives near enough bang on 1500mhz actual clocks all while sipping around 190W.

Only disappointment so far is that a custom fan curve in Wattman isn't a curve that ramps up just steps that it jumps up and down between depending on temperature.
I also couldn't get zero fan to work with a custom fan profile so ended up sticking with the default profile for the zero fan quietness at idle.

Associate
Got to say I've been pleased with my Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 but I'm not sure how it stacks up to others as I've not gone for a maximum clocks attempt yet.

Undervolted and overclocked at 50% power limit got HBM P3 and core P4 to P7 all set at 950mv. Memory is stable at 1020mhz, P7 set at 1582mhz which gives near enough bang on 1500mhz actual clocks all while sipping around 190W.

Only disappointment so far is that a custom fan curve in Wattman isn't a curve that ramps up just steps that it jumps up and down between depending on temperature.
I also couldn't get zero fan to work with a custom fan profile so ended up sticking with the default profile for the zero fan quietness at idle.
Try the beta version of MSI afterburner as the fan control works.
My Sapphire card does around 1600-1630mhz actual in game with a 50mv undervolt and HBM can do 1050mhz but starts artifacting very slightly at 1060mhz and gets worse the higher you go.

Associate

That looks very similar to my setup, I've got the memory at 1050 and use 980mv and that gives me about 1520Mhz stable in games. I'm also just using the default fan settings in Wattman and for me it normally levels out at about 65C and around 30% fan speed which is still nice and quiet so I'm happy to stick with that rather than push for every last Mhz.

Associate

I'll try that on mine, as my quiet 1000mv/1672mhz bench's at 1575 but crashed 5 mins into a game.

Associate
It works now! So i think the issue was i didnt unplug my network cable. Apparently Nvidia cars its ok to let the network cable stay in the computer when doing driver installation etc. When i unplugged it windows started normally without any issues. Could install all the Adrenalin drivers etc. After i installed the drivers i plugged in the network cable again, and have worked since! :)

Thanks for the help.
There's also an options page in DDU, if you didn't see it, where you can tick the bottom boxes to reboot in safemode and not allow windows to automatically install drivers.
I did that and unplugged my internet cable.
After driver install, launch DDU again and click the big box to enable windows to automatically install drivers again. (Important for future hardware)

Associate
Heads up guys, 19.2.1 drivers are borked for me. No matter the settings it's throttling on the Hotspot temps. Really hard throttling too causing loss of FPS in almost anything outside of iRacing for me.

Gone back to 18.11.2 for the mean time until a fixed driver set is released.

Associate
For me latest drivers are going well.

Since launch drivers it's been "hit'n'miss" appearance of VRM temps in SW monitoring. So glad it's always there now, gives me more complete data for runs of tests. So far in benches is the same or ever so slightly better performance than past drivers.

4 way compare 3DM FS

rWLQURX.jpg

4 way compare 3DM TS

xVMIsuK.jpg

SP4K

pWBgH0q.jpg

AIDA64 GPGPU

NyLBpyH.jpg

The OC I set ~1yr 4mths ago is still holding up in games, f@h, bionic, etc. Only thing that has happened is few months back instead of 1125mV for P7 I use 1137V, card was WC'd 2nd day after purchase.

Nice also to finally see in Radeon VII launch reviews clarification on "hotspot" for GPU. At present see no need to jump from V64, just resisting the temptation to get a V56 Pulse to WC and use on another rig...

Associate

Thanks for the help.

I had this problem with my Vega 56. Seems to be an issue with Windows grabbing an ancient (2017) driver from Windows Update after the installer has removed the existing driver. Disabling the network adapter or unplugging the cable prevents Windows from being able to do this.

Associate
I got 6741 in 4k optimised for my quiet, low power setting, 6976 for my 1702/1150mv P7 faster setting.
Mid setting, around 6871 - all 4k optimised.

Best I can get so far is 6707. Thats with P6 1680/1065mv and P7 1712@ 1085. Memory is P3 950Mhz/1025mV

During the Superposition benchmark my clocks tend to level out at the 1640's. How do I fix that?

Back
Top Bottom