Upgrade gaming RIG

Associate
OP
Thanks!

Side question: is it worth getting a 970 EVO POLARIS 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 X4 NVME
It would be for OS and usual games - will I feel an increase in performance or is it insignificant unless I am looking at sequential ?
I am dealing with some frame-drops and I've heared one thing could be down to the SSD.

Associate
OP
Many thanks all. I ordered the Ultra with 9700k and Teamgroup 3200 mhz in the end :)
I wanted CAS 15 on Corsair but OC did not want to pricematch that so I stayed with the discounted TG.

Soldato
Just arrived, will be up sometime tonight. Will post results and lets see if I still get framedrops after this.

If I do, it’s either my gtx 1080 or the SSzd’s. Except that there would only be the PSU left

run Unigene valley and heaven at 720p! not to big to download and note down FPS on with your current rig, then run it again with i7 in !
Unigine superposition is also DX12 so again, run with 720p and see :)

run both CPU at stock and should see some difference

Associate
OP
Set the system up, installed win10, installed drivers mobo and nvidia and did the benchmark.
Had a post on first go and everything worked fine. Even cooler has good clearance and everything is cold as ice.

Heaven at 720p
Before: 137 FPS, score 3462
After on i7: 143, score 3602

I am running the BIOS with whatever came stock, any suggestion on some OC I could be trying?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
btw, it seems that i5 was holding my gtx1080 back indeed, i have no more framedrops now, even in fights I can easily do 200 fps in overwatch (I keep it however at around 155 for the gsync monitor)

Back
Top Bottom