I got utterly shafted by a shop and the court system. ( Just a vent )

Soldato
OP
I have trusted you my PayPal details for a spare £50k hope that's cool. I'll pay you back under the same terms and conditions as others.

Never give anyone any money ever.

It just ruins relationships. Just say you don't have any.

Sure, Ill trust you!

On a serious noted, I cannot for the life of me, understand how people can be so happy to do over their friends?

How is that even possible?

The thought of ever doing that to a mate, is beyond me! - it must take a spiteful mind.

Caporegime
You need a lesson in concise writing.

Also, and I'm merely trying to explain something and not be a smartass, bearings don't hold things on, so despite the bearings for the headstock and rear wheel being knackered, they won't cause anything to fall off, that's what nuts&bolts are for.

It sucks that this happened but count your blessings it was a £1750 bike and not a £20k Z4.

If your story is in fact exactly what happened, appeal it.

Caporegime
Sure, Ill trust you!

On a serious noted, I cannot for the life of me, understand how people can be so happy to do over their friends?

How is that even possible?

The thought of ever doing that to a mate, is beyond me! - it must take a spiteful mind.

are you 12 years old?

people who tend to borrow money off mates are the types of people who have no intention of paying it back. otherwise they could you know get a loan off a bank like any normal person does. or use a interest free credit card, etc. you only have yourself to blame and therefore you need to change your views on people especially your moral compass.

seriously i've seen god knows how many beta males being taken advantage of by women especially. they just keep on handing over money due to their sob stories. i've only seen 1 female taken advantage of, she was a blonde taken for a ride by a jamaican man. he kept telling her his family was poor in jamaica and needed it to pay for basics, etc.

buying mates cars, stupidly specced pc's, etc. you are an easy target and until you realise how the world works you always will be.

Soldato
I feel like youre missing out a large chunk of this story.

There is no way a judge would dismiss a case if laid out as you typed it because it passed an MOT.

Youd be suprised!!

We had a case that was seen by 2 different judges. The first sent the plaintiff away with a list of evidence he had to produce to prove his case...He didn't produce this evidence and at the next hearing he won under a different judge....Because we failed to call the plaintiff to explain the fault with his camcorder...

Ridiculous

Soldato
Op see this as your final lesson. Transfer readily accessible funds somethere less easily accessible and learn to say no. True friends will understand this and the others can jog on. From the stress it's causing you I'd be tempted to possibly just forget about the appeal and draw a line under the whole saga especially if you'll now need to formally hire a solicitor and if you'll have to pay for an appeal..

Caporegime
Op see this as your final lesson. Transfer readily accessible funds somethere less easily accessible and learn to say no. True friends will understand this and the others can jog on. From the stress it's causing you I'd be tempted to possibly just forget about the appeal and draw a line under the whole saga especially if you'll now need to formally hire a solicitor and if you'll have to pay for an appeal..

i can't believe after all of that he thought it was wise not to hire a solicitor when going to court. it's also the likely reason the judge did what they did. you have to remember judges are all former lawyers. they see some random dude rock up to court with no lawyer it automatically makes them biased against you. a schoolboy error.

Soldato
Whatever you take from this, you need to stop being a soft touch. You've let this issue drag on far too long and seems like you're doing that in other areas of your life too.

If you let people walk all over you, they will.

Caporegime
Sounds like it's you who needs to learn how to judge people better, not him.

We need a facepalm smiley.

Really I'm not the one who has lost £50k.

I've lent folk money on several holidays as they ran out. Always got it back.

However I'd never ask or expect anyone to ask to borrow money. It's part of being an adult.

Caporegime
people who tend to borrow money off mates are the types of people who have no intention of paying it back.

I've lent folk money on several holidays as they ran out. Always got it back.

If you're going to try and belittle someone for a silly (and expensive admittedly) life lesson then at least try and do so without contradicting yourself.

You seem to pride yourself on being arrogant on here but you can't even get that right.

Maybe take a step back for a bit and reassess your approach eh?

Caporegime
If you're going to try and belittle someone for a silly (and expensive admittedly) life lesson then at least try and do so without contradicting yourself.

You seem to pride yourself on being arrogant on here but you can't even get that right.

Maybe take a step back for a bit and reassess your approach eh?

yeah but the mates i have take cash on holiday and don't use cards. so it's a different scenario to them turning up at house and asking for money.

the type of people borrowing money off him are the type who wouldn't be able to pay for the holiday abroad in the first place or be asking him to pay for it and also give them spending money. it's completely different scenarios.

You sound like a nice generous guy but very naive, do not ever trust anybody with your money, especially if they are asking to borrow it from you. There is only one person I trust on this planet and that is my Wife. Those people you call friends were anything but and it has cost you a small fortune to get rid of them. Please don't lend anything to anybody ever again as the same thing will happen again and again. Get some new freinds too and stop trusting people you don't know.

Soldato
One other little thing that I will add to this, but this case is the tip of a large iceberg and recently I have had a bit of an emotional breakdown.

I have been a very giving person, so much so, that a few so-called friends have taken me for a ride and these thigns have sort of hit a tipping point, that the court case simply pushed over the edge.

My sister for years has been grabbing money off me, she has had over 20K in the last 6 or 7 years. it hit and end only 2 months ago when I was in Caernarfon and she asked me for 100 and I only gave her 50 and she started crying and saying that I was spiteful, and we ended up in a huge fight over it. Ok, we made up, sort of, but that really got to me.

Her ex also asked me to take her to see her son, and so I said ok I will, and in the car she was sulking about not being able to take him out and so I had 15 quid on me and I said takle that and take him to MacDonalds or something. I will take her home at 2pm
I wenmt to pick her up at 2 and I was tolds that she left hours ago. I went to her nans thats where I dropped her off, and I was told that she stayed for about 15 minutes and then went home on the bus.

So I am now done with her... She used her son to get some money off me... Thats sick. I livbe in Llandudno, she in Bethesda and her son in in Mochdre so its a lot of running about just so she can rob 15 off me.

I will cut down these stories, but

one mate asked me to build a a super computer for him, so I built a half decent box with some new and some old bits, and I used an old x58 with an I7-980 CPU and gave it a pair of ATI380 cards, Asus Sound Card, and 48GB RAM, and 2x120SSD RAID and 2x4TB RAID and so it was pretty quick, and I let him pay bit by bit and when he was just about to finish paying it off, he asked to borrow 500 ( Yeah, I said he can have it for only 500 ) and so in reality he has not paid for it has he? Well he needed 650 a few months ago, and eve nthough he was asking for jobs off me,, I told him I got a gardener, Igot this and that and so I simply made up a few jobs to help him out... I gave him 650 and he got rid of a few boxes, and ruined a patch of my garden and I have not seen him since.

Another mate, I bought him a Landrover ( no, second hand for £3000 ) and this was over a year ago, and he has still paid NOTHING towards what he owes.

I'm really not trying to be harsh, but what on earth is the matter with you?! Why have you been buying stuff for every man and their dog for the last 5 years???

EDIT:

So yeah, I am a plonker who gives gives gives and its all kind of hit me like a brick just how stupid I have been.

I could go on, but I have calculated that in the last 5 years alone, I have given out 50K in money that I will never see.

So this court case as I said, broke the camels back, and it has made me into a right POS and I am actually enjoying being hateful for a change.
Just saw this bit. Fair enough. You don't have to enjoy being hateful or never help your friends but stop giving out your money.

You've literally just given £50,000 to people. When you got to £20k...or £30k... or £40k, did you not think, "hmmmm, this is getting silly now"?

Do yourself a favour, abandon this court stuff and accept the loss, then stop giving out money to people and use the money you save to buy yourself a flipping good holiday and enjoy yourself.

Soldato
OP
I wont try to defend myself.

I have been a moron and thats not in dispute.

But let me just give some extra details to my life...

22 years ago, for about 9 months, I was utterly ruined and I became homeless. I managed to claw my way back and about 12 years ago, I shared a small shop with a friend, and I was able after only a few years to sell the business. I had made a nice sum and I wanted to sit back and try a new career, and so I studied Evolutionary Biology.

6 years ago, however, I was run over by a bin lorry and I was both physically and mentally destroyed. I have made an astonishing recovery, from 4 breaks in my back and 3 in my spine, to a shattered pelvis and every rib and bone in both arms and legs, both kidneys ruptured, ( Forcing me to live through a dialysis machine) liver ripped in two, right lung popped out of my body along with the liver, my pancreas destroyed ( Now dibetic ) and my spleen removed, Iwas also told that I will probably never walk again.

However I have not used my wheelchair for 10 months now ( although I cannot walk far at all ) and due to what can only be described as torture by with-holding food and liquids from me, my kidneys bounced back ( Im on drugs for life and the kidneys will fail eventually, but for now... No more dialysis ) and so, I have received a massive compensation payout. Enough to buy myself a half million pound house, and while I can never ride a motorbike again, I do now own a Harley Trike and a Boom Trike.

While I was unable to drive, one friend drove me around and bent over backwards to help me out... For that I gave him a cheque for 5K and as he liked LandRovers, I bought him a LandRover... It was only a cheap one, well used, but it failed the MOT... He looked at it and he thought I was buying it for myself but I told the seller my mates name not mine and he was chuffed.
But since it failed the MOT, I then bought him a much newer Discovery3. He said he will pay me back, but after a year, I have not had a penny.

The computer taht the other guy had, was starting to show its age and so I didnt mind too much with it, but again, he has simply taken the pee in not paying, and non stop asking for more all the time... Even his missus laughs about me being their bank.

My sister is not even my sister... My mother took in foster children over some years and she stayed with her for about 5 months some 25 years ago or something, but she has no one at all, and the only family she has, seems to be me... but yeah, its cos she gets money off me.

Now, when I had the accident, I had brain damage. You dont smack into the side of a metal box without doing something and my head was wrecked and I have serious issues.

One of the things I now have is Dysexecutive Syndrome and it has symptoms that are very similar to PTSD ( and I also have that ) plus I have serious memory issues... I have a near photographic memory of my childhood, but I cannot remember what I did 5 minutes ago... I wil remember in a few days or weeks, but not things I do just now... Which is why I waffle like hell... To try to remember what I was doing.

But anyway, Im waffling... What I mean to say, is that I have or rather HAD a small fortune and so I helped friends and family out and it has got into a routine and now the money is almost gone, they are "used" to me giving them money.

The court case has very much knocked the wind out of me and given me one huge reality shock.

I cannot work ( although there must be jobs I can do surely ) but because I have a comfortable account, I get no benefits.

I was getting DLA but because I want to work, they stopped my DLA, even though I cannot walk more than about 30 feet without collapsing in agony, and so the ONLY money I have, is the compensation, and that was to be my retirement and pension, but its almost gone because I have to live.

Noww that I am calling on the people who owe me money, its quite magical how they melt into the scenery isnt it?

Soldato
OP
Do yourself a favour, abandon this court stuff and accept the loss, then stop giving out money to people and use the money you save to buy yourself a flipping good holiday and enjoy yourself.

Yes, I am not going to lie, its eating me up.

I have even been considering going to his shop and offering a hand ( to shake ) to simply get closure.

One thing is really ironic though...

He tried to give me a Chinese bike and I had it for about 3 weeks, and this is about this time last year give or take, and 2 days ago, I got a letter from the DVLA saying the bike is not taxed, and as I am the registered owner... Blah blah...

I have even given it a thought to go to the shop and offer a hand-shake and if he does, then I will give him the letter and the ownership documents and tell him that it needs sorting, or, just come home and then make out the bike has been stolen from my property and I never realised until I got the letter and when I went to check it out... I saw it was gone!

Sure, thats a rotten dick move, but its no different to what he has done to me.

I have the documents and so legally I own it surely? LOL

No, I wont do such a thing, no matter how much I want to.

You are right, I need to drop it as its seriously eating me up and I have not had a good sleep since it happened.

I am better than he is. Every one know how slimy he is, so sod him.

Soldato
OP I'm really sorry to hear about your accident but a massive well done on your astonishing recovery (given your injuries you should be dead).

As for the motorbike saga I'd just leave it, not worth any more anguish.

Move on and focus on the positives, after what you went through every day is a massive bonus and not to be wasted worrying about idiots!

Associate
First of all, sorry about your accident, that is horrendous, but I wouldn't worry about money too much.

As you've said you live in a 500k house, worst case scenario, apply for a council bungalow and sell the house and live off the 500k till you die. Be smart with your money and it will last.

Soldato
Just move on from the whole thing. You've made so many errors and set so many precedents throughout the whole affair that there really is no recovering the less than £2,00 that was originally at stake here.

I am better than he is.

Morally yes, but in pretty much every other way relating to buying or selling a vehicle to make the maximum money, no.

Give it up and learn from it. Going to court and engaging a solicitor for £,1750 with a clear case - and losing?! Just stop. Even if you win the next time, you're not going to get those earlier costs back.

Back
Top Bottom