• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 64 Overclocking & Undervolting information & guide

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's good to see people still finding this guide useful for their new Vega GPUs and thanks for the feedback from everyone. Like many have posted Vega is a very fun GPU to play around with as a Nerd :)

I have noticed the latest Adrenalin drivers do not seem to require the HBM voltage or "voltage floor" to be changed. I was wondering why my HBM speed was stuck at 500MHz and put the voltage back to stock 1150 for HBM and it fixed the low HBM speed, but also the GPU core was still only pulling ~160w - 180w game dependant.

I am using stock cooler and .900mV to keep fans at 38% which is around 2300rpm. This keeps the GPU at a solid 1440ish on the core and is actually a mild overclock of about compared to stock.

Associate
Which Sapphire card is it? The reference blower or the Pulse?

It is the reference blower. Now it is totally OK, (about 260W in my game with the same game configuration as it was before with RX580, maybe i will install the old card to check the power consume also).

With a custom cooler system the Vega 56 can be really cold and quiet (I will try this one:Raijintek Morpheus II).

Associate
It is the reference blower. Now it is totally OK, (about 260W in my game with the same game configuration as it was before with RX580, maybe i will install the old card to check the power consume also).

With a custom cooler system the Vega 56 can be really cold and quiet (I will try this one:Raijintek Morpheus II).

I’ve seen in the forums that the peeps that have tried this have had very good results
I can recommend these fans as they have a good static pressure
PHANTEKS PH-F120SP STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN - BLACK

Last edited:
Associate
I've recently picked up a reference Vega 64 and have been following this guide to help me reduce temperatures and noise from the card. Hoping you guys can help me out with an odd problem i've been having.

I have set all my P states from P1 to P7 to be 950mv, and have set the HBM voltage to 950mv as well. It runs fine through runs of things like Heaven or Superposiiton, and also no crashes during gaming. I get roughly a clock of around 1480-1500mhz before throttling starts due to heat. I have set fan speed to top out at about 2500rpm. Power limit is at +50%

The only problem is that HWInfo and GPU-Z report the GPU power consumption to be about 220W-240W even though I have set all the voltages to 950mv in Wattman or OverdriveNTool. This is roughly the same voltages I would get if I set all the voltages to something higher like say 1050mv.

The strange thing is that once in while after a restart or cold boot I can run one of those stress tests or play a GPU intensive game and the voltages are much lower (around 170-180W) and the card runs much cooler (with constant clock around 1500mhz). That power consumption is also more in line with the table in OP's post.

Does anyone have an explanation for this weird behaviour with the power consumption? Even though I'm setting all the voltages to 950mv it doesn't seem to actually run at that voltage aside from some once in a blue moon time.

Soldato
OP
Try setting the P1, P7 states separately and leave HBM alone, start from P7 and work back until it drops as that will tell you what state the GPU is getting stuck on due to throttling. Monitor GPU-Z for power usage dropping after each change separately with a 3D load on the GPU. Also monitor HBM speed because I found that chaning the voltage for P1-P7 to manual caused HBM speed to drop to 800Mhz unless done one at a time.

If you get no power reduction, also set the HBM power to .950 and see if that makes any difference to both power usage or HBM speeds. I found dropping HBM to anything lower than .950 on latest drivers dropped HBM speeds to 500 or 800.

Associate
I powered my PC down and then when I started it back up I reset the settings in Wattman back to default. Then I did as you said and undervolted each P state one by one to 950mv without touching anything to do with the memory settings.

I did a run of Heaven while checking HWinfo and the undervolt seemed to run fine. I was getting ~1500mhz while only using around 170W. VDDC was showing as being around 950mv as well.

Everything seemed fine but then when I tried another game or benchmark the power consumption went back up to 230W and the VDDC locked into 1100mv again. No matter what I changed in Wattman or OverdriveNTool the VDDC would not lower from that 1100mv mark. Even rebooting the PC and then resetting Wattman settings doesn't change that VDDC value. It is only until I get the GPU to crash that it resets to normal.

So for some reason the VDDC value is getting stuck at either 1050mv or 1100mv regardless if I change any memory values or not.

Soldato
I'm confused about the picture in the OP, my Radeon Settings app seems to be different? Have you got an updated screengrab of your overclocking settings please ICDP?

Associate
Alright guys, i am sure this is all gonna get repetitive, specially for OP, but honestly sometimes too much info and content actually hinders the effectiveness...I just got an MSI Vega 64 Airboost OC for round $375...Now i am trying to figure the best settings and as OP mentioned on his first post i rather have a stable/cool/efficient card instead of all the craziness and heat stuff...So I am trying to follow OP below line:

Quote "...On stock reference Vega 64, drop mV to 900 for all voltage settings and set PL to 50%. You will get a better performing GPU that does not throttle, has a very noticeable reduction in power consumption, noise and thermals. 30% reduction in power consumption makes Vega 64 a very efficient GPU...."

OP When you say "Set Power Limit to 50%" you mean to bring it down form 100% to 50%..since every single person ive seen suggests to actually push it to 150%...or an exra 50%...I apologize for my ridicule noobiness....

And thank you for your help.....

Associate
Alright guys, i am sure this is all gonna get repetitive, specially for OP, but honestly sometimes too much info and content actually hinders the effectiveness...I just got an MSI Vega 64 Airboost OC for round $375...Now i am trying to figure the best settings and as OP mentioned on his first post i rather have a stable/cool/efficient card instead of all the craziness and heat stuff...So I am trying to follow OP below line:

Quote "...On stock reference Vega 64, drop mV to 900 for all voltage settings and set PL to 50%. You will get a better performing GPU that does not throttle, has a very noticeable reduction in power consumption, noise and thermals. 30% reduction in power consumption makes Vega 64 a very efficient GPU...."

OP When you say "Set Power Limit to 50%" you mean to bring it down form 100% to 50%..since every single person ive seen suggests to actually push it to 150%...or an exra 50%...I apologize for my ridicule noobiness....

And thank you for your help.....

If your using Wattman then the power limit starts at 0% and can go up to 50% or down to -50%. So your setting the power limit to 50%. If your using another tool that goes to 150% I would assume it's just using 100% as the stock, so putting it to 150% would do the same thing.

Associate
In the end nothing would work for me with undervolting so I had to do the registry mod and I'm happy to say that I've got my card UV to about 980mv and gets about 1500mhz consistently on the stock cooler. Might pick up a Morpheus if they ever get back in stock in Canada.

Associate
OK Guys, so i have been trying different settings so far, honestly either my expectations are way out of place or simply i have no freaking idea what i am doing (most likely case), anyways here is a screenshot of my current settings in Wattaman, my goal is as OP mentioned to run my MSI Air Boost OC VEga 64 with stock cooler. I really appreciate any input or suggestions you guys can give...so far i have been playing Grim Dawn (BTW amazing game) recommended. My card does not even light up more than three lights which means that the power draw is amazing...the game feels nice i locked it at 75 FPS with radeon utility....from now and then i get this stutter on the sound and image not sure whats going on like if gets stuck....

Thank you GUys in advance.

uvEKWBt.png

Soldato
from now and then i get this stutter on the sound and image not sure whats going on like if gets stuck....

Thank you GUys in advance.

Happens to me too recently, think it might be a case of not enough voltage. It's just that it happens so rarely it's hard to say for sure.

Associate
Happens to me too recently, think it might be a case of not enough voltage. It's just that it happens so rarely it's hard to say for sure.
Could probably be....i have been running Anthem in ultra (granted i have a very crappy monitor) but the card is holding itself .....the screenshot shown i believe is the best settings i have found so far....

Back
Top Bottom