• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
People are willing to call it a fail because so far there's only a benchmark application, a lacklustre shooter and Quake 2 using it.
It's not exactly an amazing roster. Especially given the price of entry, and the lack of performance increase relative to the top 10 series cards.

Associate
I upgraded from 2x 1080 Ti's to 2x 2080 Ti's and I'm very satisfied with them, RTX support and even DLSS support is really a joke at the moment but I bought them for the performance increase and even if RTX never existed I still would have bought them.

Seriously wish more devs would make use of DLSS at least, 3DMark port royal is a good example of it, better image quality that's very noticeable to me even at 4K and way better performance. All I care about is performance and the 2080 Ti certainly delivers there, RTX features for me are just a nice bonus.

Soldato
So you're saying realtime raytracing after 5 months is a win? I dont actually own a 20 series card but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the RTX feature is a fail. The 20 series cards do have very good non-RTX performance but the OP was refering to RTX itself.

Owning a Ti I’ve been very impressed maybe because Ive not had a pc since Titan x

In bfv RTX looks awesome to be honest, compared to non.
just need to be patient games are coming through. Looking forward to the new metro hopefully they sort tomb raider.

I didn’t expect 100’s of games by now, would have been nice for a few more, but this is new tech coming to the market bound to have a few teething issues.

Soldato
It remains to be seen if RTX actually takes off or
I upgraded from 2x 1080 Ti's to 2x 2080 Ti's and I'm very satisfied with them,

So what is the comparison, how much faster is 2 x 2080 Ti's than 2x 1080 Ti's? (I think the RTX/DLSS tech is cool but Nvidia current pricing is eye watering), I'm sure I could look it up but I'd like a "real world" view

Associate
Don't regret buying my 2070 at all, well maybe a tiny bit as would have really liked a 2080 lol but overall im very happy, im very surprised at how many games I can actually play at 4k with this card, considering its touted as a 1440p card it does very well indeed.

RTX in battlefield is terrible performance for me, mostly because for some reason dx12 runs poop on my system so haven't been able to experience it properly yet, but, hopefully that will all change with the release of dlss.

Skipped the last gen and stuck it out with a gtx 970 gaming at 1080p, as soon as rtx line was out it immediately got my interest as for the first time in YEARS a new graphics card has come out that dosnt just offer a increase in fps, rtx offers new technology which although not perfect yet, at least its something new for once.

Overall I would say rtx is defo a win, when I hear amd users bashing the nvidia rtx line I just sit there with a little smug grin on my face lol like most rtx owners, I know where its at :D:cool:;)

Associate
Marketing scam is how I’d describe to someone asking for a recommendation.

I have a 2080ti. As a consumer, I’m footing the bill for technology that doesn’t “just work.” Overpriced, massively under delivered and just plain lies.

Here’s hoping for a class action suit. A GTX 2080ti would net the same performance in games at a much lower price point. Likely better, as the extra die space could be used for boosting traditional performance in games making the card an even more attractive jump.

I’m a tech enthusiast, not a corporate enthusiast so happy to call it as it is without feeling the need to make excuses for my purchases.

Last edited:
Soldato
People are willing to call it a fail because so far there's only a benchmark application, a lacklustre shooter and Quake 2 using it.
It's not exactly an amazing roster. Especially given the price of entry, and the lack of performance increase relative to the top 10 series cards.
Even as an RTX owner I see it as completely irrelevant and presently a non entity. Even DX12 has more full titles than RTX!

Soldato
Fail, I’ll just quote myself because why not.

I have a 1080Ti at the moment which cost me £700 at release. I refuse to pay £1100 to upgrade to the RTX 2080Ti, paying £400+ more for a half baked answer to a question nobody asked that’s barely even supported months after release.
Give me RTX 2080Ti performance without the RT tech for £700 + inflation and nVidia have themselves a deal.
RT could be cool, but this implementation is a farce and we’re expected to pay for it.

Soldato
Fail, I'm going quote myself as well from another thread:

I'm a PC/tech enthusiast, I've been building computers for the last 35 years, for me part of the fun is building a "best bang for buck" system. To be honest most of the time once I've built that new system I hardly use it or most of it's capabilities, the fun was in the selection and the build.

Intel and Nvidia have taken that and just throw in down the toilet for me, their productions are so vastly overpriced for the performance they offer it almost laughable, I wouldn't by them out of principle. This now makes me lean towards AMD for any new purchase, just to support their rivals, can you imagine what AMD/Intel would charge if AMD wasn't on the scene. I love the fact the AMD CPU division is in the ascendance. they're really sticking it to Intel (who have been massively complacent for years), my next CPU will probably be a AMD Ryzen 3000 or maybe one of their HEDT parts if I'm feeling saucy (I have no real need for HEDT but it's just cool, I have the cash but my "bang for buck" itch means it will probably be Ryzen 3000).

I already own a Vega64 and for me "that's enough", until I replace my UW monitor will something than can do 144hz an upgrade of my GPU is pretty pointless, certainly for the number of games/time I play, I'm might jump into Vega 7 once there is an AIO option or just wait to see what Navi brings.

Soldato
Fail, I’ll just quote myself because why not.
It' s first implementation of something that some call the holly grail of graphics :). And we usually pay for new tech anyway. Hence why new tech things are expensive whatever it is, 4K TV's 8K, electric vehicles, life saving drugs. Eventually however the price normalises. I'm not saying Ti's of future gens will be cheaper but in a few years the low end GPU's will probably be multiple times better at RT than the Titan RT is now.
I do think NV have tried to claw back some loss to profits from mining with the 20 series but they do have something the competition cannot offer atm tho and the 2080 Ti especially seems to have supply issues still. I refused to consider pricing in my reply earlier in the thread, partly as I don't find it right to dictate what prices should have been but also pricing doesn't affect my opinion of whether the series is a failure or not. Pricign is what it is and the 2080 Ti especially still seems to be in short supply (supply & demand). I'd only pay FE prices however, not +£300 or even more in some cases.
I can see the 2080 Ti possibly being < £1k this year, well, FE's anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
It' s first implementation of something that some call the holly grail of graphics :). And we usually pay for new tech anyway. Hence why new tech things are expensive whatever it is, 4K TV's 8K, electric vehicles, life saving drugs.

Yes, but when buying a graphics card and paying for hardware you can hardly use then it starts to look like a failure, full stop, end of story. If I went to buy an 8K TV but decided that I didn't think it was worth the money Samsung wanted for it it due to lack of 'content' then I could just buy the same TV at 4K for less money with the same picture quality (for the most part), and the same features. Comparing to life saving drugs isn't even relevant either, since there is a 100% need for billions of dollars of R&D to save lives, who gives an actual crap if your games look better compared with that?

Soldato
Yes, but when buying a graphics card and paying for hardware you can hardly use then it starts to look like a failure, full stop, end of story. If I went to buy an 8K TV but decided that I didn't think it was worth the money Samsung wanted for it it due to lack of 'content' then I could just buy the same TV at 4K for less money with the same picture quality (for the most part), and the same features. Comparing to life saving drugs isn't even relevant either, since there is a 100% need for billions of dollars of R&D to save lives, who gives an actual crap if your games look better compared with that?
The point about drugs was to show that the huge R&D that goes into drug making is reflected in the price :). I'd have thought seeing as they could saves live the price would be kept low (ethics/morals)? and of course more of a necessity than a GPU!
Well, just like 8K TV's with no content you can buy GPU's without RT too :). 8K TV's still successes tho. Eventually we'll all have electric vehicles too, but those who picked up the early cars that actually were not that good would have paid £££££ for them. Eventually RT will be in all GPU;s and games and people will have forgotten the current conversations around pricing, while at the same time if you put the question to them about "what if we didn't have RT" people would say "Nooooo wayyyy, dude".
RT is the stepping stone to more realistic gaming. The first implementation is not cheap, hardly used at present, but still a success IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
The point about drugs was to show that the huge R&D that goes into drug making is reflected in the price :). I'd have thought seeing as they could saves live the price would be kept low (ethics/morals)? and of course more of a necessity than a GPU!
Well, just like 8K TV's with no content you can buy GPU's without RT too :). 8K TV's still successes tho. Eventually we'll all have electric vehicles too, but those who picked up the early cars that actually were not that good would have paid £££££ for them. Eventually RT will be in all GPU;s and games and people would have forgotten the current conversations around pricing.

I understand the point, but if you want a new card since they has discontinued the old ones you are forced to pay for a feature that you don't want/need at present. If you go and buy a TV you make a choice from a range, they haven't just said "Sorry folks, we launched an 8K TV< so we sold off all the 4K's and won't be making any more." As for the car comment, ironically it was cheaper to get one two or three years ago than it is now since demand has shot up and supply is constrained, even second hand prices have remained static or increased due to this.

Nvidia has forced RTX on anyone who wants a new fast graphics card, it is really that simple. They made a choice it was the wrong one, and as a shareholder I am sure that you know it is being currently reflected in the price of the shares, and as I said yesterday next quarter there is no excuses left for poor sales since they claim all the old stock is now gone, in three months time I wouldn't be surprised to see another quarterly earning miss, and another 15-20% drop on the price due to slow GPU uptake.

Soldato
Nvidia has forced RTX on anyone who wants a new fast graphics card, it is really that simple. They made a choice it was the wrong one, and as a shareholder I am sure that you know it is being currently reflected in the price of the shares, and as I said yesterday next quarter there is no excuses left for poor sales since they claim all the old stock is now gone, in three months time I wouldn't be surprised to see another quarterly earning miss, and another 15-20% drop on the price due to slow GPU uptake.
I kind of agree with this but from a business perspective, for uptake to be optimal you need to move as many people across to the new tech as possible. As RT gets into more GPU's that people own there's more motivation for developers to use it. It would be a failure if NV offerered both and 75% bought non RT cards because they saved a few quid. You also need to consider that game devs are apparently excited by the technology and want it.
Regarding the share price I see it as a transition period. I'm sure NV knew the possible risks of the 20 series in the short term but are focused on the long term. Even this generation could still improve massively (sales) as more games use RT and DLSS. As a shareholder I'm focused on the long term too as most should be!
Electric vehicles are seeing a supply/demand issue so that's a bit different (re pricing). I'm sure I've read about things being done to improve this situation tho? The Ti has supply issues too :), hence I do think the price will drop a bit over the next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Imagine if Sony or Microsoft released a new gaming platform with only one game after 5 months. I think there would be protest marches and people chaining themself to the fence outside Sony HQ.

Soldato
It's like buying a car and leaving it in the garage to depreciate.

By the time there are some decent games using the features, we'll be buying new cards with more grunt that deliver better frame rates at lower cost.

Those that spent 1500 on the ti will get to play, but performance will be lackluster against the new cards with more cores at a reduced price.

Of course those people dont miss out. If they can afford to, they upgrade.

The value of the pound is the same, but maybe perceived differently depending on how many you have.

Soldato
Marketing scam is how I’d describe to someone asking for a recommendation.

I have a 2080ti. As a consumer, I’m footing the bill for technology that doesn’t “just work.” Overpriced, massively under delivered and just plain lies.

Here’s hoping for a class action suit. A GTX 2080ti would net the same performance in games at a much lower price point. Likely better, as the extra die space could be used for boosting traditional performance in games making the card an even more attractive jump.

I’m a tech enthusiast, not a corporate enthusiast so happy to call it as it is without feeling the need to make excuses for my purchases.

It's hard to argue with someone who bought one and knows he's been scammed.

Back
Top Bottom