Going to see a 1yr old Volvo XC40 but 1st service done at 26,000

Soldato
Morning all,

Going to see a few cars today. Looking at a Volvo XC40 which had its first years service at 9 months old, which is the good bit....but the not so good bit is that during those 9 months it's covered 26,000 miles.

Dealer said it's fine and they would cover the warranty.

I like the car, although I like others too. Modern diesels and oils are obviously much better these days, but not sure?? at least it's been a motorway cruiser and not used for the school run.

Alarm bells?

Soldato
OP
What’s the service intervals?

I wouldn’t be too worried.

1yr or 18,000 miles whichever comes first

We don't do high miles, so I will bring the service schedules back in line by doing the 2nd service quite early. Think most oils these days are the stop/start variety and synthetic or part synthetic so the horror stories of old probably don't hold any weight these days.

Knowing me, I'll probably only keep the car for 1/2 years then get bored and look for a change. Just don't want the engine to have issues and Volvo say "hard luck, it's not covered"

Last edited:
Soldato
If they say it’s fine and covered under warranty and you’re sure you can get the servicing back in line over a couple of years then I don’t see what the issue is.

Soldato
OP
If they say it’s fine and covered under warranty and you’re sure you can get the servicing back in line over a couple of years then I don’t see what the issue is.

Thanks, just my own peace of mind really.

Only just learning about the new diesel engines and how they work. Just wasn't sure if after 26k miles (despite from only 9 months motoring) the oil would start to cause some issues. Maybe not now, but in a few years time.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Soldato
is it significantly cheaper than other xc60s of the same spec and age?

if not walk away not saying its going to have problems but when for the same money you can get one that wont have warranty issues or give you issues if you plan to sell whilst still under warranty then go get one without the potential headache

Man of Honour
Thanks, just my own peace of mind really.

Only just learning about the new diesel engines and how they work. Just wasn't sure if after 26k miles (despite from only 9 months motoring) the oil would start to cause some issues. Maybe not now, but in a few years time.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

If it has been used for motorway driving, etc. that mileage is nothing to a modern diesel - but even modern ones don't like a lot of stop/start low speed journeys especially the bigger engines.

I (knowingly) bought a vehicle recently (3L V6 diesel) that had spent 90% of its life in commuting traffic and school runs (average speed 15mph over last 22K) which had two gunked up sensors and needed EGR valve replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Resale will depend on how long it’s kept for but as others have said I’d get it in writing that the delayed first service won’t cause any warranty issues and I’d be asking for some extra money off to compensate. For example with BMW I think that kind of delay would undoubtedly cause warranty claim issues?

Soldato
OP
I've just phoned the dealer, they said that paticular vehicle came into stock from Volvo and they will put in writting about it still having the remainder of the manufacturers warranty.

Associate
Hi

Let me get this straight the car cover 26K in 9 months with out service? if thats the case I would walk away and find another car, milage is not a problem I do about 20k in year and that have about 2 oil changes alone, I have been around cars long time with engine and gearboxes rebuilding, there is no oil on this planet that have same cosistancy after 26k, all this ******** about long service at 18k ect, most warrantys will be valid even if you don't take to dealer for quick oil change and don't cost a lot, at the end is your choice but personally I would find something else.

Sorry just noticed service done at 26K which I presume just now?

Swearing removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
My Focus is every 12.5k and I do 25k+ a year (just had it's 2nd service done in my ownership), if they've done 26k in 9 months and not serviced it I would expect the price to reflect that, as mentioned above if it's the same price as other XC40s then walk away as down the line you may have issues.

If it's cheaper then I guess the call is yours as you have to weigh up the price vs risk, it's easy to bring it back inline by just having it serviced at 36k as per recommendation but the 1st service being missed by 8k could bite you come re-sale time.

Soldato
OP
My Focus is every 12.5k and I do 25k+ a year (just had it's 2nd service done in my ownership), if they've done 26k in 9 months and not serviced it I would expect the price to reflect that, as mentioned above if it's the same price as other XC40s then walk away as down the line you may have issues.

If it's cheaper then I guess the call is yours as you have to weigh up the price vs risk, it's easy to bring it back inline by just having it serviced at 36k as per recommendation but the 1st service being missed by 8k could bite you come re-sale time.

It's more the health of the engine rather than resale

Associate
Yes, the cars just had a service at 26

Like Maundie said price should reflect this but I would still walk away, look you will be spending what around 20k on car? I would travel even long way for car, I just sold 530d with 170k on clock, when you pulled dipstic out oil was still brown in colour which is very hard to achive in diesel and at this milage I was suprised my self but serivce was on point with 5 years ago engine rebuild by my self.

how long you planning on keeping this car? can you find another with same spec/ price range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
It's more the health of the engine rather than resale

Not sure what damage it could do, years ago most people never serviced their cars on time or with accordance to the manufacturers recommendations because it cost too much but with modern engines I'm not prepared to risk it.

Is it priced lower than other examples that have been cared for as recommended?

Back
Top Bottom