What film did you watch last night?

Associate
After ending up listening to Hans Zimmer soundtracks/live shows on Youtube most of the day I ordered some pizza and watched Gladiator today. Haven't seen it in a long long time and it is still a great movie. I saw it at the cinema when it premiered and would love to see it at the cinema again. Great movie, great acting from pretty much everyone, and one of the best soundtracks I can think of. 8,5/10, possibly a 9/10.

Commissario
Alita Battle Angel 7/10

Pleasantly surprised at how good this was, the visuals were right on, the action scenes were good, the 3d and the CGI for Alita were not "uncanny valley" unlike the trailer, and the story was fairly well told, the only issue I had with it was some clunky dialog.

Soldato
The Life of Brian - As the bringer of my first experience of bush on the tv screen I had many fond memory's of this film! Its still very good but those innocent days have left me. Still some very stand out moments of pure comedy genius that will never grow old!

Caporegime
Alita Battle Angel 7/10

Pleasantly surprised at how good this was, the visuals were right on, the action scenes were good, the 3d and the CGI for Alita were not "uncanny valley" unlike the trailer, and the story was fairly well told, the only issue I had with it was some clunky dialog.

I watched this again today in 2D (3D yesterday).

The good - the CGI and world building, it is excellent. Alita is very life like, her facial expressions are believable, the way she laugh, cries, it is way above any computer game CGI scenes that I've ever seen. (although there are a few scenes where things looked a little bit less polished).

The bad - I feel some scenes were cut shot, way too short. For example at the start where he finds here in the scrap heap and you see him holding her up with the sun behind him, it cuts immediately of him back in his workshop with him walking up the stairs with the spare body!!!

The acting, especially with the boy, the scene where he confronts his friends near the end was really badly acted. It was much more obvious on 2nd viewing.

I would say this is probably the best anime adaptation to date, i hope it does well because i want to see the next part of the story.

Associate
The Life of Brian - As the bringer of my first experience of bush on the tv screen I had many fond memory's of this film! Its still very good but those innocent days have left me. Still some very stand out moments of pure comedy genius that will never grow old!

in my top ten films of all time

Caporegime
The Greatest Showman - 9/10

I dunno what it is about this film but I love it, and I am not a musical film lover at all, seen it three times now and could easily watch it again.

The music is top tier, This is Me is my favourite song, but that Jenny Lind song Never Enough is amazing, and From Now On is also a great song when it gets going.

Soldato
The Greatest Showman - 9/10

I dunno what it is about this film but I love it, and I am not a musical film lover at all, seen it three times now and could easily watch it again.

The music is top tier, This is Me is my favourite song, but that Jenny Lind song Never Enough is amazing, and From Now On is also a great song when it gets going.

Agreed, my wife had to pretty much bully me into watching it, but i actually really enjoyed it.

Associate
Green Book, solid 8/10. Thoroughly enjoyed this, brilliant performances from the 2 leads Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali, moving and funny in almost equal measure.

I felt it glossed over the racial aspect of what was going on in America at that time to a degree, but not to take anything away from it - the performances were amazing, I had a tear in my eye more than once and laughed out loud way more than I expected!

Soldato
Solo a star wars move... 4/10

Well I was and am so disappointed, I always felt he didn't need a movie and this proved he really didnt

Young lando was good in the card game scenes, maul cameo good.

Everything else meh, times I checked my phone during film as it just wasn't interesting.

Last edited:
Associate
Watched two films yesterday, bit of a space theme. first LIFE 4k , excellent movie , looks amazing in 4k and the atmos soundtrack is excellent, then i watched GRAVITY 3D havent seen it for a while, brilliant , still blows me away

Associate
Alita: Battle Angel (2019) - 6/10

Everything in this film looks superb, from the excessively detailed cybertronics to the realistically structured setting and city landscape – it truly is a technical marvel, and the attention to detail is astounding. The action scenes are graceful and fluid, the blend of CGI and real actors is seamless, and even the brief venture outside the city is a real treat from the grime of the urban androids.

But the story isn’t great – it serves its purpose, and has a good range of characters, but it tries to fit too much in. The dialogue is clunky, the love story is very teenage i.e. ham fisted and lacks subtlety, and the action scenes are too few and far between. The acting is mostly good, especially Alita, although the villains are a bit one dimensional with their corny challenges.

There’s obviously been a lot of care and love put into the special effects and presentation, and I definitely want to see more of Alita’s story, but it’s not as great as it could have been.

Soldato
I watched first man for the third time one of my favourite movies.

Gets me near to tears everytime and I'm usually emotionally numb with everything in life :(
I can't believe this has been so overlooked for awards. After Whiplash and La La Land it should have been a shoe-in. And it's a flippin' good film too, with great performances. What gives?

Soldato
Space Raiders (no not the tasty snacks) - 1ish / 10
I could have made a better film.

Alright its 80s and old so you would expect a large dose of cheese but c'mon :eek:

They had basically ripped all the effects both visual and audio from Battle Beyond the Stars and added some of there own filler scenes in, they even ripped the main theme :eek:

Yet I felt compelled to keep watching :confused: The power of nostalgia is real :D

Soldato
I can't believe this has been so overlooked for awards. After Whiplash and La La Land it should have been a shoe-in. And it's a flippin' good film too, with great performances. What gives?

/controversial mode on

Too white in this day and age.

/controversy mode off

Back
Top Bottom