• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
I am liking my RTX 2080 very much, so is a win for this card at least.. It's fast / quiet and just works (To quote leather jacket man).

I think the RTX 2080 Ti is grossly overpriced and the pinnacle of a greedy company, def a massive fail until Nvidia stop being greedy **** **** ********

Also the Radeon 7 looks good.

Reminds me of the HD 7970 VS GTX 680 days. AMD had the larger frame buffer cards and both cards traded blows. With AMD getting much faster over time with better drivers. Maybe a similar thing could happen here. Either way it's nice to have new options. Either card is good choice.

Associate
Metro Exodus is out soon, that will answer the question imho

What is going to be a tough sell regardless is:
- explaining to someone with an 2080Ti and 4K monitor why they have to run RTX at 1080p or 1440p
- DLSS or not (which isn't the consumers problem) how fast is it once the smoke and mirrors have been pushed to one side?

Soldato
I am liking my RTX 2080 very much, so is a win for this card at least.. It's fast / quiet and just works (To quote leather jacket man).

I think the RTX 2080 Ti is grossly overpriced and the pinnacle of a greedy company, def a massive fail until Nvidia stop being greedy **** **** ********

Also the Radeon 7 looks good.

Reminds me of the HD 7970 VS GTX 680 days. AMD had the larger frame buffer cards and both cards traded blows. With AMD getting much faster over time with better drivers. Maybe a similar thing could happen here. Either way it's nice to have new options. Either card is good choice.

You got ripped mate, 1080ti performance with a measly 8GB of vram for £700+, Nvidia seen you coming miles off lol.

Soldato
RTX as a feature is a total and utter failure at this point. 5 months and only one title with RTX and none the with the other thing I can't be arsed looking up.

The cards are good but overpriced and the selling point for them is a failure.

I got a B-Grade one for £578 and at that price is it just about acceptable, the 2080Ti price is a joke.

Associate
Had my money ready to go on launch day but held off when I saw the prices - given where we are now I'm happy enough with my decision.

I wanted to see a worthwhile improvement in performance for a given price and that simply hasn't happened this generation.

Soldato
You got ripped mate, 1080ti performance with a measly 8GB of vram for £700+, Nvidia seen you coming miles off lol.

I dunno about that, my RX VEGA 64 died, I got RTX 2080 for £670, GTX 1080 Ti was more expensive at the time and I've had VEGA's before.

Didn't bother with 2080 Ti's pricing is ludicrous, literally over double the price of the 2080 for no where near the boost in performance.

The performance of RTX 2080 is amazing. Tbh I think the price I paid ain't that bad. It was cheaper than the new Radeon 7 and 1080 Ti..

These 3 cards, 1080 Ti, RTX 2080 and Radeon 7, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All beasts.

Caporegime
I dunno about that, my RX VEGA 64 died, I got RTX 2080 for £670, GTX 1080 Ti was more expensive at the time and I've had VEGA's before.

Didn't bother with 2080 Ti's pricing is ludicrous, literally over double the price of the 2080 for no where near the boost in performance.

The performance of RTX 2080 is amazing. Tbh I think the price I paid ain't that bad. It was cheaper than the new Radeon 7 and 1080 Ti..

These 3 cards, 1080 Ti, RTX 2080 and Radeon 7, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All beasts.

I find it quite astonishing that you think £650 for a mid range GPU is good value, 4 years ago we were buying dual top end GPU's for £500.

3 years ago i paid £270 for a GTX 970, a mid range GPU, the equivalent of the 2070 today.

Soldato
I don't think catching up to a 2 year old card is anything to be proud of. Certainly not at the asking price of the R7.
Now seems like a bad time for GPUs all around. I hope AMD come back with something much better next time around, and I also hope that DLSS and RT begin showing up in games and showing off what they are capable of.

Nvidia were so far ahead though. Look at the gains AMD have had over the progress Nvidia has had the last 5 years? AMD massively upped their game. When the drivers mature the 7 will be a cracking card for 1440. Pair it with a Freesync 4k monitor and you're sorted.

"1080Ti performance" is fine for 95, or more, percent of the forums and Joe Public

Soldato
Imagine if Sony or Microsoft released a new gaming platform with only one game after 5 months. I think there would be protest marches and people chaining themself to the fence outside Sony HQ.

RTX isn't a gaming platform though.

DirectX is, with a new set of APIs supporting ray tracing.
It's pretty unreal there are no games...but at the same time ..it isn't a new platform...just a new feature. A big one granted.

Soldato
I find it quite astonishing that you think £650 for a mid range GPU is good value, 4 years ago we were buying dual top end GPU's for £500.

3 years ago i paid £270 for a GTX 970, a mid range GPU, the equivalent of the 2070 today.
People certainly have short memories.

Associate
Still waiting to play Tomb Raider in my library with RayTracing. BFV looks good with it on but one game so far? That is meh. DLSS only works at 4K and as a UWS gamer, I want it to work at 3440x1440. Price is very very **** and I do want to see some proper RT games to make it swallow a little easier. Performance is fantastic mind, so that is a plus but overall, a bit of a fail IMO.
Pretty much this. The lack of any evidence so far that DLSS will be coming for 21:9 resolutions was disconcerting enough to put me off getting an RTX card, as arguably DLSS would be the most relevant feature for 3440x1440.

DLSS aside, I'm sure the future of graphics will involve ray tracing at phenomenally high settings. Unfortunately this generation of RTX cards seems unlikely to be able to deliver that and will start to be deemed as suitable for rasterization-only as time goes on, or maybe with ray tracing on very low / at a low res, compared with future generations.

I upgraded from 2x 1080 Ti's to 2x 2080 Ti's and I'm very satisfied with them, RTX support and even DLSS support is really a joke at the moment but I bought them for the performance increase and even if RTX never existed I still would have bought them.

Seriously wish more devs would make use of DLSS at least, 3DMark port royal is a good example of it, better image quality that's very noticeable to me even at 4K and way better performance. All I care about is performance and the 2080 Ti certainly delivers there, RTX features for me are just a nice bonus.

And if anyone wonders why GPUs are so expensive I give you this guy.

Is very satisfied with paying 2k plus for ti’s

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It doesn't deliver the performance though, its a poultry improvement for a huge price increase on an over-priced previous generation. If it was sub £500 you'd have a point.

Completely agree about them being overpriced but in regards to performance you’re simply wrong. The only thing better at present is an RTX Titan, performance-wise.

I couldn’t give two hoots about RT TBH, certainly not at present anyway.

Back
Top Bottom