Veganuary?

Man of Honour
I'm not getting into the debate whether veganism is good or not but I can tell you a little story.
My nephew is around 26 now and when he was born he was bought up as a vegan. We could see something was wrong and at around 1 year they took him to the GP who ended up contacting Social Services. My In Laws immediately changed his diet but they carried on with their veganism. Years later they had 3 girls and it was quite funny seeing them buying McDonalds for them while they sat there eating grass.

I know loads of vegans for many years/decades and they're all OK, I'm just sick of them telling me they are vegans.

Caporegime
I think meat eaters (I eat it some times) don' l to face fact it is selfish and not environmentally friendly and cruel to eat farmed meat.

Even needs to be able to justify their actions to themselves. And having those arguments thrust in your face isnt pleasent.

Soldato
Seems more and more people are going vegan and I can't even stomach going vegetarian. Is going vegan even that great for the environment? They're often eating fancy foods that aren't native to the country so they have to import them and then you need a lot more space to grow the same amount of nutrition

Man of Honour
Seems more and more people are going vegan and I can't even stomach going vegetarian. Is going vegan even that great for the environment? They're often eating fancy foods that aren't native to the country so they have to import them and then you need a lot more space to grow the same amount of nutrition

and that's not taking into account how many animals die to make way for vegan tastes

Soldato
as as result of this being pushed into mainstream as of late it is trendy atm and as SGF points out the irony of it..

and while they are at they are better start learning degrees in nutrition otherwise they are doing it wrong...

Soldato
.. no mention of its sibling .... #februdairy ... veganism was yesterdays fad.

amusingly radio 4 had some discussion of new vegan evangilists suffering IBS ... not accustomed to a healthy diet

Associate
One of my mates has been vegetarian for years, but has now gone full vegan. He's constantly telling me how great it is and how a vegan diet would benefit my gym-based activities more than my traditional omnivorous lifestyle. I'm having a curry with him tonight - my local curry house swears they can cater for veggies and vegans no problem - just hope it passes off without a scene being made ... remains to be seen whether he's one of the more 'militant' types ...

Soldato
One of my mates has been vegetarian for years, but has now gone full vegan. He's constantly telling me how great it is and how a vegan diet would benefit my gym-based activities more than my traditional omnivorous lifestyle. I'm having a curry with him tonight - my local curry house swears they can cater for veggies and vegans no problem - just hope it passes off without a scene being made ... remains to be seen whether he's one of the more 'militant' types ...

Quietly tell everyone else that you must all take a drink every time he mentions anything vegan related. :)

Soldato
hadn't realised french had the terminology nailed

The French are as pernickety about abuses of their language as they are passionately defensive of their food traditions, so it’s not surprising French MPs have voted to ban the use of terms such as ‘steak’, ‘sausage’ or ‘fillet’ to describe products that have no meat in them. Adieu ’bifteck végétarien’ and ‘saucisse de soja’. France has called time on ‘plant food’ posing as meat, on pain of penalties up to €300,000 for any company that flouts the law.

post-mortem ....

Nearly one in 10 men say they ate vegan in January, driven primarily by health concerns, a new survey for The Grocer has found.
A further 9.3% cut back on meat and dairy during Veganuary, while 4.1% tried to go vegan but failed.
By comparison, just 5.6% of women said they went vegan during Veganuary, with 8.2% cutting back on meat and dairy and 3.2% trying but failing in their Veganuary quest.
The number of men in the survey (conducted by Harris Interactive with 1,069 adults) who claimed to have attempted or taken part in Veganuary far exceeds those who formally signed up to the campaign. Just 11% of the 250,310 people who did so in 2019 were men, according to the organisers of Veganuary.
“Men might be more resistant to ‘officially’ committing to go vegan for a full month and might prefer to have a go at it themselves, without signing up,” said Rachida Brocklehurst, digital manager at Veganuary.
“They might decide to try it for a shorter length of time, such as a week, or go plant-based in the week and non-vegan at the weekends.”
Health was the top reason men gave for taking part in Veganuary (cited by 47.6%), while 29.7% said they wanted to detox after Christmas. A similar number (29.1%) said they took part in Veganuary to save money.
For women, animal welfare was the top reason (36.4%), with health in second (35.3%).

46432968344_f6ee8c3b97_o_d.jpg

LOL herd mentaility .... detox !
... but with only a sample of 1K people maybe its statistically insignificant.

Hope the folks considering the environment are also reflecting on whether their clothing purchases are friendly/sustainable.

Soldato
The claims that vegan/vegetarian is healthier than an omnivore diet really annoys me. Not consuming any animal products doesn't magically make it a better/healthier diet than a well balanced omnivore one. A well balanced Vegan diet is better than a poor omnivore diet, but the same applies that a well balanced omnivore diet is better than a poor vegan diet.

Soldato
The claims that vegan/vegetarian is healthier than an omnivore diet really annoys me. Not consuming any animal products doesn't magically make it a better/healthier diet than a well balanced omnivore one. A well balanced Vegan diet is better than a poor omnivore diet, but the same applies that a well balanced omnivore diet is better than a poor vegan diet.
Whilst I agree with you, I think it's also more the fact that animals can be stuffed full of antibiotics, diseases etc.

But of course if you're Vegan and stuff yourself full of sugar, then it's not going to be healthier overall. However you would still be avoiding the potential issues that are only present with animal products/meat as mentioned above.

Caporegime
Greggs have seen a big upsurge since they launched the Vegan Sausage roll.

Greggs has credited the fanfare around the launch of its vegan sausage roll for driving a sharp rise in sales.

The bakery chain said the publicity the snack gained helped sales surge 9.6% in the seven weeks to 16 February.

The snack, made from meat substitute quorn, launched at the start of the year, coinciding with Veganuary when many people go vegan for a month.

The update on current trading came as the firm said annual sales had broken through £1bn for the first time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47480247

Back
Top Bottom