Going to see a 1yr old Volvo XC40 but 1st service done at 26,000

Man of Honour
It's more the health of the engine rather than resale

If you aren't worried about resale but health wise 26K is pushing it - mine had a good bit of that between oil changes and see above about the state of sensors, etc. (not so much down to oil but generally how the engine handles that long between services) a well made diesel engine will take quite a bit of punishment and probably easily do 2-3x the recommended between oil changes at a push without serious damage but still.

Not sure what damage it could do, years ago most people never serviced their cars on time or with accordance to the manufacturers recommendations because it cost too much but with modern engines I'm not prepared to risk it.

Is it priced lower than other examples that have been cared for as recommended?

Some of my cousins for instance have taken on family cars when they are already at around 150K miles - ran them into the ground until the vehicle generally needs to be scrapped without bothering with such things as oil changes hah - putting a lot more than 26K miles on them fine until the vehicle was generally falling apart - obviously not a recommendation for how to treat a vehicle normally.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
as mentioned above, I'm wondering if a second service carried out quite soonish would bring things back inline.

I'm going to see it now for a look, but won't decice anything today

Man of Honour
as mentioned above, I'm wondering if a second service carried out quite soonish would bring things back inline.

Unless you really really want this particular car and/or it is considerably a better deal than others that are otherwise similar I'd walk away - while I wouldn't be that concerned about it personally it does sound like you can do better with the money.

Associate

On paper it will bring back in line, look I can see you want this car so don't matter what anyone says, just cover your self. Just out of intrest what engine in xc40?

Permabanned
I've just phoned the dealer, they said that paticular vehicle came into stock from Volvo and they will put in writting about it still having the remainder of the manufacturers warranty.
Yeah, but when you go to sell it on, it will be quite a bit less than trade in price if it had been serviced at right time and much bigger risk to next owner as it will be out of warranty.

Unless it is a significant discount to compatible spec/age, leave it well alone. Like 20% off similar car... as you’ll easily take that hit come resale and it will be harder to sell... main dealer may not even take it back as part ex.

Most dealers won’t even touch a BMW that hasn’t had its running in service.

Caporegime
It’s not exactly a rare car, if you really want this one I’d be speaking to Volvo to get a guarantee in writing from Volvo U.K. that they will honour the warranty given it’s exceed it’s interval by 10k - which would be a cast iron get out for them if they wanted to be difficult - and then still an issue to a future owner,personally I’d be seeking out one with a correct service history.

Associate
With resale value you have to think when you planning to sell your car, if you thinking of getting something else in couple of years some buyers might look at service history and spot that first has been done bit later others won't even notice some might not even care, if you keeping for few years and car will have 100k plus no one will care when first service was done they will be to busy looking at last couple of years and what condition car is right now, if it lasted that long then it don't matter.

Soldato
Get a 1.2 3008 instead :p

The very late service would worry me a bit, but not so much if significantly cheaper than comparable cars. How much cheaper is it?

Also haggle hard for finance if you're looking at the dealer option. Should get it at under 5-6% Apr easily.

Soldato
OP
If anyone sees a Volvo with black smoke pouring out the back you'll know who it is

Nah still thinking it all over

Money is key so maybe I'll get a nice discount

Soldato
I wouldn't have a worry about the engine health at all. 26k miles on the same oil is not ideal but it's not a disaster on a nearly brand new engine with synthetic oil. There will be no long term damage on a car which has spent it's mileage on a motorway. The only thing I'd worry about is the resale value being affected, but if the dealer can give you a decent discount on it, then I'd say it's worth it. Push for this as they will have surely noticed it when they took it in as a part ex and will have offered the last owner less money as a result.

If you get only so far with a discount, start pushing for extra years of warranty and/or free services

Soldato
Does it really matter these days? It's a 9 month old Volvo not some exotic Italian sports car. It won't even have seen a proper winter.

That depends on how you value your car. I personally see them as a large expense so try and take care of them, others don't. Initial services in the long run would be fairly important for longevity, which may impact sale value. If you're only keeping the car a few years, likely no issue at all in terms of day to day running. You can almost be assured that it hasn't been ran in properly either I'd of guessed. Some of this is also about peace of mind of course.

Soldato
OP
Would rather that than an engine that’s done 9000 miles but spent hours idling

trouble with used cars you never really know

anyways, so we went out earlier to have a look. Test drove it, drove fine, sounded fine.
bit bland inside, very erm.....rugged? It kinda reminded me of a cross between a jeep and a telsa (big screen on dash).

The dealer said they have already discounted based on mileage but as they thought the service history was fine they wouldn't go any lower.

Nearest one to it (apart from being the other side of the country) is £1,750 more expensive

I'm going to look at some others tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom