People you admired but now you don't

Man of Honour
I'll give two examples:

1) I've always admired Leonardo De Vinci and even have a t-shirt but around a month ago my world was shattered (dramatic music). I watched a documentary which showed he plagiarised everybody else's ideas but just put a sprinkle on top. He did cut bodies up for the anatomy and obviously painted the Mona Lisa but I feel let down by the cheat.

2) Houdini. Just watched a series showing his greatest tricks and it was 'meh'. I admire the sleight of hand and his brain to work things out but still 'meh'. His water torture trick took about 30 seconds to get out of and then he sat behind backstage for an hour.

My mate for example had a collection of George Best memorabilia but binned it all when George destroyed the new liver that was donated to him.

So any examples or convince me Leonardo and Houdini should still have my admiration.

Soldato
I dont really admire anyone... Is that weird? I feel inspired by people sometimes but they are mostly fictitious. Is that also weird?

Soldato
Probably a couple now that the lids been lifted over the last decade or so. I wouldn't say I really admired anyone however more a bit disappointed, Cliff Richard a bit, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown a bit. Can't think.

Caporegime
Justin Randall Timberlake (born January 31, 1981) is an American singer-songwriter, actor, dancer, and record producer.[1] Born and raised in Tennessee, he appeared on the television shows Star Search and The All-New Mickey Mouse Club as a child. In the late 1990s, Timberlake rose to prominence as one of the two lead vocalists and youngest member of NSYNC, which eventually became one of the best-selling boy bands of all time. Timberlake began to adopt a more mature image as an artist with the release of his debut solo album, the R&B-focused Justified (2002), which yielded the successful singles "Cry Me a River" and "Rock Your Body", and earned his first two Grammy Awards.

His critically acclaimed second album FutureSex/LoveSounds (2006), characterized by its diversity in music genres, debuted atop the U.S. Billboard 200 and produced the Hot 100 number-one singles "SexyBack", "My Love", and "What Goes Around... Comes Around". Established as a solo artist worldwide, his first two albums both exceeded sales of 10 million copies, and he continued producing records and collaborating with other artists. From 2008 through 2012, Timberlake focused on his acting career, effectively putting his music career on hiatus; he held starring roles in the films The Social Network, Bad Teacher, Friends with Benefits, and In Time.

Timberlake resumed his music career in 2013 with his third and fourth albums The 20/20 Experience and The 20/20 Experience – 2 of 2, exploring neo soul styles, partly inspired by the expansive song structures of 1960s and 1970s rock. The former became the best-selling album of the year in the US with the largest sales week, and spawned the top-three singles "Suit & Tie" and "Mirrors", while the latter produced the top-ten song "Not a Bad Thing". For his live performances, including the eponymous concert tour for the albums, he began performing with his band The Tennessee Kids, composed by instrumentalists and dancers. Timberlake voiced the lead character in DreamWorks Animation's Trolls (2016), whose soundtrack includes his fifth Billboard Hot 100 chart-topping single, "Can't Stop the Feeling!". His fifth studio album Man of the Woods (2018) became his fourth number-one album in the US. The album was supported by the two top ten singles, "Filthy" and "Say Something". Man of the Woods concluded 2018 as the sixth best-selling album of the year.[2]

Throughout his solo career, Timberlake has sold over 32 million albums and 56 million singles globally, making him one of the world's best-selling music artists. Often cited as a pop icon, Timberlake is the recipient of numerous awards and accolades, including ten Grammy Awards, four Emmy Awards, three Brit Awards, and nine Billboard Music Awards. According to Billboard in 2017, he is the best performing male soloist in the history of the Mainstream Top 40. Time named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2007 and 2013. His other ventures include record label Tennman Records, fashion label William Rast, and the restaurants Destino and Southern Hospitality.

Then he married a witch and now every day is a living nightmare.

Soldato
I used to like Gary Glitter and Rolf Harris (really) but it's not the done thing now.
Jonny Rotten until I realised he was just a sell out living in LA making adverts about how great Britain is...
Realised that's more 'like' than 'admire'
Now I keep my admiration for people who do things like running into burning buildings to save people, stuff like that.

Associate
I don't admire anybody.
I think we are all here on a journey and we have our own lives to live and our own things to accomplish. Money, status, fame mean nothing, and just because someone may have those, doesn't make them better than me, despite what the world tries to tell you, we don't need to look up to them, it's all a facade.

Soldato
Colonel Sanders. His decision to remove Vienetta as part of the 12 piece family bucket meal, ruined it for me.

Soldato
Maybe not admire, but I used to like the Lost Prophets' music (have a couple of their albums, saw them live a couple of times) . Don't think I could put one of their songs on these days :/

Back
Top Bottom