• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
I spoke to soon if I run resident evil with any undervolt at all it crashes
Where as 3dmark was fine

I'm exactly the same experience, but with Battlefront II instead. Any undervolt under ~1070mV crashes the game instantly. Similarly, Two Point Hospital shows weird glowy artefacts when undervolted too much too. I may wait for more stable drivers before experimenting, I can now see how Steve and der8auer got frustrated with the current drivers.

Soldato
I'm exactly the same experience, but with Battlefront II instead. Any undervolt under ~1070mV crashes the game instantly. Similarly, Two Point Hospital shows weird glowy artefacts when undervolted too much too. I may wait for more stable drivers before experimenting, I can now see how Steve and der8auer got frustrated with the current drivers.
Yep that's what i get the flashy dots, how is it that others are not having this problem?

Is anyone else having this problem? If so I think I might send mine back because this is loud as f and if others can undervolt and have a peaceful time and I cannot that's an unacceptable difference in product quality for me

Last edited:
Permabanned
@Illuminist
@Bloot
@drskiba

Be sure to alert AMD as the more they get told the better.

https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

They do read the forms,

For the last few weeks I've put in 3 or 4 complaints about how Adrenalin scans for games by default when it's installed and due to the number of games I've got installed on my PC it freezes the software up when I try to navigate through it,
That means I have to delete all the games one by one which takes 30 minutes or more because it freezes up during each delete,
In the latest driver it still scans for games but it no longer freezes allowing me to navigate through to Wattman with no delay, so the number of games it's scanned & added profiles for is no longer an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
p2Ty1W0

Undervolted from 1119 to 981, nice and stable tested in BFV only so far.
Time spy graphics score exactly 9000.
https://ibb.co/x1219vQ

Edit: I think I cannot post images
Here is the link to the picture for the roll of honour:
https://ibb.co/p2Ty1W0

Last edited:
Soldato
@Illuminist
@Bloot
@drskiba

Be sure to alert AMD as the more they get told the better.

https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

They do read the forms,

For the last few weeks I've put in 3 or 4 complaints about how Adrenalin scans for games by default when it's installed and due to the number of games I've got installed on my PC it freezes the software up when I try to navigate through it,
That means I have to delete all the games one by one which takes 30 minutes or more because it freezes up during each delete,
In the latest driver it still scans for games but it no longer freezes allowing me to navigate through to Wattman with no delay, so the number of games it's scanned & added profiles for is no longer an issue.
I posted an issue to amd but as mentioned earlier I think the cards with the higher stock mv core are the ones that Cannot undervolt

Soldato
Got the card undervolted to 932mV from a stock (1048mV) which drops the fan speed under load to 1700 with about a 5% gain in performance. It's pretty much silent at that speed. Very happy with it.

Not sure if this is normal or a software bug than but with the two cards I purchased, one had a higher default voltage the other in wattman. The one with a higher voltage did not undervolt as well getting to about 980mV resulting in a fan speed under load of about 2450.
For example this above from another owner. those of us not able to undervolt might have an even worse binned chip than this guys worse one. OR it could be our motherboards perhaps?

Soldato
I spoke to soon if I run resident evil with any undervolt at all it crashes
Where as 3dmark was fine

What OS and driver? What power supply, are you using two separate 8 pin cables from your PSU to the card? Did you DDU uninstall and shutdown (the new graphics card option) before installing the card?

Seems odd that you can't undervolt by 1mv without crashing, there is no way they'd tune them that close to the wall. Must either be an issue on your system/software install or an issue with the drivers.

I literally just set 970mv, saved, and it's been rock solid. Haven't tried any lower yet. Played Wolfenstein 2 for a 2-3 hours today and atlas for a few hours. Atlas (ark mod) runs it flat out due to crappy optimization, so would have been likely to crash if at all unstable.

Last edited:
Soldato
What OS and driver? What power supply, are you using two separate 8 pin cables from your PSU to the card? Did you DDU uninstall and shutdown (the new graphics card option) before installing the card?

Seems odd that you can't undervolt by 1mv without crashing, there is no way they'd tune them that close to the wall. Must either be an issue on your system/software install or an issue with the drivers.

I literally just set 970mv, saved, and it's been rock solid. Played Wolfenstein 2 for a few hours today and atlas for a few hours. Atlas (ark mod) runs it flat out due to crappy optimization, so would have been likely to crash if at all unstable.
I did use ddu correctly I was a vega owner since launch I know what I'm doing
In 3dmark I could undervolt to 980mv. No lower or it would hang and give me a 0 score. Got near to 9000 on timespy so thought all was good Ran a game it ran fast and low temps then crashed tried another, crashed, tried a tiny undervolt game lasted longer then crashed

I'm just reinstalling the drivers again now to see if they corrupted somehow
I have 2700x at 4.2mhz 2 seperate 8 pins that powered my vega 64 that has first place in firestrike ultra, so I know they're is nothing wrong with my system

Soldato
I did use ddu correctly I was a vega owner since launch I know what I'm doing
In 3dmark I could undervolt to 980mv. No lower or it would hang and give me a 0 score. Got near to 9000 on timespy so thought all was good Ran a game it ran fast and low temps then crashed tried another, crashed, tried a tiny undervolt game lasted longer then crashed

I'm just reinstalling the drivers again now to see if they corrupted somehow
I have 2700x at 4.2mhz 2 seperate 8 pins that powered my vega 64 that has first place in firestrike ultra, so I know they're is nothing wrong with my system

Tried any other games yet? Or only RE2?

Still waiting for my AMD rewards codes to come through for that one, so far I've played WoW, Wolfenstein2, Atlas, Hearthstone.

Soldato
Now I've got "radeon settings and driver versions do not match" after using ddu and fresh installing the drivers ....

Using 19.2.1 for Radeon VII yeah?

Something is clearly not right, I'd recommend safe mode boot, DDU option 3 (clean and shutdown), install new drivers, reboot.

Sidenote, I didn't install relive, unsure if this makes any difference, may be worth a shot.

Soldato
Using 19.2.1 for Radeon VII yeah?

Something is clearly not right, I'd recommend safe mode boot, DDU option 3 (clean and shutdown), install new drivers, reboot.

Sidenote, I didn't install relive, unsure if this makes any difference, may be worth a shot.
Never even asked to install relive for me I did a safe mode like you said.I'm running again trying some R6 is running good but I haven't touched any settings on the card

Soldato
Never even asked to install relive for me I did a safe mode like you said.I'm running again trying some R6 is running good but I haven't touched any settings on the card

I always do a custom install, perhaps that's when it asks if you want to install relive? I heard it can interfere with radeon settings, since I don't record often I just don't bother installing.

Associate
Yep that's what i get the flashy dots, how is it that others are not having this problem?

Is anyone else having this problem? If so I think I might send mine back because this is loud as f and if others can undervolt and have a peaceful time and I cannot that's an unacceptable difference in product quality for me

To be fair to AMD though all the reviews did mention the fan noise. Undervolting is an extra - I'm pretty sure they don't tell you that you have to do it to get the card running. So not sure why you feel short changed ?

That's like me buying a graphics card and random person 1 on the forum has it and can oc it by 400 Mhz and mine overclocks to 200 Mhz and sending it back as its not fit for purpose.

Last edited:
Associate
I think you just may have an unlucky card. Got hold of two and the first one behaved as you are describing, couldn't undervolt it at all. The second one was great.

Back
Top Bottom