Tree fell on me whilst driving. Think my Clio is for the scrap heap. (with footage)

Soldato
Just making my way home yesterday and BANG!!!! Didn't know what hit me.

Turned out a tree had fallen and caught me sweet in the windscreen. Had the dashcam running and a young lady from the opposite side of the road sent me her footage too. This actually gives an impression of what happened whereas mine is just a smashed windscreen.

Enjoy.

Soldato
We had a tree fall over outside our place a week ago. Landed in next door's garden, popped a fence panel out. Another foot taller and it would have been through the neighbours windows, and a foot further over and it would have landed on our car (just the small branches at the edge caught it, so no damage). We were all very lucky, and what makes it more annoying is that the tree had been checked by the council three months back at the request of my neighbour, and they said it was all fine. At least the council had it all chopped up and cleared away within a few hours.

The super hot summer months last year may have weakened a lot of trees, then last week's cold and wind pushed any weak ones to the edge. Less inspections and maintenance from cash strapped councils, and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Crappy for you to lose a car and have to deal with insurance, but at least you're unhurt and you've got plenty of evidence for any claim. It could have gone worse if it had landed on your head!

Associate
Pow. Right in the kisser. :D:p Funny now that no-one was hurt. Damage to the door and window pillars. Highly likely a write-off I'd say. Very lucky you are. :eek:

Soldato
Think you can hear it cracking in the video, although presumably it'll have all happened way too fast to do much about it.

I got hit by a much smaller branch driving to the shops yesterday, no damage done, but certainly made me jump.

Soldato
Could have been much worse. Tree looked a bit of a rotter given how it broke up so easily.
What are the chances of that happening. Did you do the lottery too ? :p

Soldato
We had a tree fall over outside our place a week ago. Landed in next door's garden, popped a fence panel out.

My parents has something similar a few months back with a large branch, which fell on a corner of their garden and flattened a fence. Could easily have killed someone. The tree ended up being cut down because it was getting way to big for where it was.

Back
Top Bottom