Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Soldato
Its safe to give it beans from the moment you start her up.
Wrong.. I know the car lets you but that doesn't make it any good for the engine long term. If you hoon it from cold then expect it to not last as long, it's as bad as turning off the car imediately after going to a hoon, heatsoak will cook the oil over time and wreck the turbo. I know the turbo is water cooled with an aux' pump but repeated hot switch-offs will harm it over time..

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
This is why buying an ex lease car is a bad idea.

I bought an ex-lease R :(

Luckily it was my lease originally :)

Lease was up last month and couldn’t decide what to change it for, lease co gave me a decent enough price to buy it off them so I did.

Although the C63 I’d put an offer in for back in Nov is still for sale, and they’ve reduced it to below what I’d offered originally (greedy dealer ;) )....

I haz 4090!
Don
As much as I love mine every time I get in it, I am looking forward to it going back. Moving house in May and it'll be on the drive in front of the house. Neighbour has now been burgled three times (my parking space is in front of theirs :() for the keys.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
As much as I love mine every time I get in it, I am looking forward to it going back. Moving house in May and it'll be on the drive in front of the house. Neighbour has now been burgled three times (my parking space is in front of theirs :() for the keys.
it must be a regional thing a couple of people round here have had R estates for a couple of years now and have had no bother at all

Associate
I've just bought a new (to me) Golf GTI (15 plate), what is the clutch like? Mine seems to not be quite so smooth when pressing/depressing the pedal, the gears work fine it just feels quite notchy compared to other clutches I've had.

Just want to make sure it's not "by design" before I get them to have a look at it again.

Associate
I've just bought a new (to me) Golf GTI (15 plate), what is the clutch like? Mine seems to not be quite so smooth when pressing/depressing the pedal, the gears work fine it just feels quite notchy compared to other clutches I've had.

Just want to make sure it's not "by design" before I get them to have a look at it again.

It’s prolly the clutch delay valve that is on the mk7s , just it get removed and it will be smooth as butter.

Example guide :- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14745

Soldato
I've been looking for ways to add car play and/or Android auto to my 2014 Golf R with the standard stereo. Has anyone done this or do you know if there are any add-on kits or aftermarket units?

nam

nam

Soldato
you should be able to pick up a newer 2015-2016 MIB 8" OEM which has android and the NAV on ebay. That is the easiest option without any extra coding needed

I've been looking for ways to add car play and/or Android auto to my 2014 Golf R with the standard stereo. Has anyone done this or do you know if there are any add-on kits or aftermarket units?

Soldato
No add on etc etc but you can get a update buy getting a MIB2 or later and getting fitted by Alex Retrofit.

https://vw-retrofit.co.uk/

Thanks for the info. I know there are systems available for Sat-Nav functionality and can be accessed by holding down the 'Media' button. I guess they just plug in some kind of AUX input on the back of the unit or in the glovebox. I think a few VW dealers were offering this Kenwood add-on as an aftermarket upgrade.

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/GVN-MIB1/?view=

However I've also seen this Carplay retro-fit unit though not on sale in the UK :-

I'd far prefer something like this as it makes more sense to use a maps app on my phone rather than a built-in Nav device. Plus having all the other functionality CarPlay provides would also be useful.

I'd hoped there might be something similar in the UK which would provide Carplay/Android Auto functionality without having to replace the original head unit?

Given it's obviously possible to feed video and audio into the existing headunit it seems like it would be fairly easy for someone to design a device that connects via this same method to provide carplay/android auto?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's coming up to a year with my 2016 1.4 GT TSI ACT and it's pretty much perfect for my needs as a commuting hack. DSG and ACC are great, still have 2 years' warranty left.
However, it doesn't exactly set my hair on fire and I'm looking at Rs (~5k to change to a '15).

Is buying a DSG R out of warranty a stupid thing to do? The DSG box is clumsy and stupidly jerky and low speeds/gears anyway, but not sure I really want a manual for my stop/start commute.
It also goes against the whole point of having a sensible commuter tool that costs buttons to run.

Soldato
Unless you're having issues with your car buying one a year older with higher running costs isn't a sensible move! But then buying cars tends to be more a decision for the heart than the head!

As far as I know there aren't any general issues with the DSG box though so no reason to think it will fail. The boxes in the GTi/R/GTD requiring servicing though whereas regular ones are sealed.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Unless you're having issues with your car buying one a year older with higher running costs isn't a sensible move! But then buying cars tends to be more a decision for the heart than the head!

As far as I know there aren't any general issues with the DSG box though so no reason to think it will fail. The boxes in the GTi/R/GTD requiring servicing though whereas regular ones are sealed.
No, this isn’t a sensible decision at all :p
Interesting about the ‘boxes in the performance models; will read into it. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the 7 speed box in the facelift Golfs is any better?
Whilst mine isn’t a facelift, it is the 7 speed. Unless they tweaked some thing with the 7.5, which might be your question :o

Back
Top Bottom