• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Was your LC64 at stock? Drivers for Radeon VII don't' properly support overclocking yet, so most are running stock, just with undervolts for temps/noise.

Here's my first firestrike: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33315642?

Ok I guess it needs more time to see how well V7 scales. If by stock lc64 depends if you mean out the box or if you mean undervolting the stock clocks. With a held 1720mhz and 1170 hbm in timespy my Gscore is 8378.
And a held 1680/1150 my fs g-score is 27309.
When undervolted with V7 I expect you'd see some decent power reductions though.

Thanks for your fstrike score it's the first real one i've seen, 28.5k isn't bad but still i'd want to see 29-30k.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
im only running my tr at 3.7 and also have 64gb memory numa at 2933 right now so probably not the best for "benchmark" situations but the gpu memory overclock does give real world performance gains.

Soldato
ML3LN7W.jpg

There we go, proof it can be overclocked and undervolted and the HBM also, I KNOW there is a dip there, it needed slightly more mv than i gave it but its 1:30am and i will carry on tomorrow.
Point is, the memory doesn't go down to a locked 800mhz, it stays at 1150 for me 1245 for @Vince
And I can make the core lock at a much higher mhz which gains scores in benchmarks.

I will do this properly tomorrow for everyone to see

@Vince nice working with you

Soldato
ML3LN7W.jpg

There we go, proof it can be overclocked and undervolted and the HBM also, I KNOW there is a dip there, it needed slightly more mv than i gave it but its 1:30am and i will carry on tomorrow.
Point is, the memory doesn't go down to a locked 800mhz, it stays at 1150 for me 1245 for @Vince
And I can make the core lock at a much higher mhz which gains scores in benchmarks.

I will do this properly tomorrow for everyone to see

@Vince nice working with you

Ah the old p3 state bug, just like vega has.
Nice work see you for part 2.

Man of Honour
Sure you aren't getting performance regressions with higher HBM clocks?

I get a timespy graphics score of 8957, at stock gpu/memory but with 970mv underclock. My overall timespy score is low due to having a 6700k quad core:

Dvf9Ytj.png

Try it, leave the undervolt in place, hit the auto overclock memory, save it and see what you get :)

Ill do a run tomorrow at 3466 (32gb memory) so take half out and ill put the threadripper at like 4ghz or something and see what I can get.

Last edited:
Associate
Been trying a few things with mine.

Stock voltage is 1060mV. Undervolted to 938mV and seems stable after running a benchmarks and playing a few games, inc wolfenstein II.

Then enabled auto overclock memory option and it crashed in GT1 of timestrike, although went through demo first with no problems.

Reset to defaults, re-enabled auto overclock memory and went through full Timestrike test fine. Memory speed peaked at 1172. Not a huge improvement in graphic score though - up from 8,975 to 9,025. Did notice that memory speeds dropped to 800 every now and again.

Seems like a few other things need tweaking to get the best of these cards and find the right balance.

Man of Honour
OP
Welcome all and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

wnI9JSp.png

Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, artur_k, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dicehunter, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Illuminist, Link
Date 09/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, vapor matt, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, spook2575, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, L-Digital82, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Uzu, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, drskiba, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, nashathedog, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Chud_Jenny, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Bloot, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vince, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, zoffster1, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, FordneyMcCumber, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Vish Petrol, Link
Date 08/02/2019, Make AMD Reference, Dave2150, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon VII.

Permabanned
I posted an issue to amd but as mentioned earlier I think the cards with the higher stock mv core are the ones that Cannot undervolt

I didn't realise we had cores with different mv's (I must have missed it)

My stock core settings are 1801mhz 1062 mv

For example this above from another owner. those of us not able to undervolt might have an even worse binned chip than this guys worse one. OR it could be our motherboards perhaps?

It's worth checking for a new bio's now & in a few weeks time, It's one of those things I forget to do.

Last edited:
Associate
Am I the only one who thinks it isn't as loud as I would have hoped it to be by reading/watching the reviews? This thing at 100% is as loud as my 64 Nitro at 70%, sound is mostly hum air, Nitro fans noise was way worse imho.

Associate
Im not sure we can count the default, mine varies reboot to reboot. Ive had defaults as low as 1037 rebooted reset the driver and im at 1111mv.

My "actual" clocks with the memory button thing though is
1771 core
1235 hbm

looks like the standard MV core voltage differs from boot to boot, so an average MV core is going to be hard to find. maybe the only thing we can try is minimum voltage core for the same bench, but even that could
be un reliable system to system with different PSU's.

Sapphire
Default - 1800
1061mv

Optimal - 1800
980mv benchmarks
1061mv games

Press the auto overclock memory button
1800 core
1150 hbm

8931 in timespy

Glad to see you have had some good results now, from yesterday maybe wanting to return it, to showing promise with a clean driver install. nice

hopefully we will see improvements in drivers over the next few months once amd get to grips with the new PCB layout and higher memory potential.

Associate
Morning all!
Been reading what people have been experiencing. I tested the card isn't faulty yesterday before I wait for a water block. Had to use my sons system as mines still got my Vega in the loop. Only a 2400G so did hold the card back in IPC and only having a 8x pci-e lane didn't help either i'm sure.
The stock mv is looking to differ a fair amount across this small sample size so far! Mines using 1074mv out of the box.
What does seem to be coming apparent is the fan curve is a little lazy like when Vega released. Its looking very easy to lock the cards up as a result of t-junction maxing out.
I used 973mv on my card which was fine. What i suggest people do is use Timespy stress test (the most boring 15 or so mins of your life lol) as this gets the card warmed up. With the very low undervolts on air I've seem they more than likely to crash after some screen flickering during the test.

https://www.3dmark.com/tsst/382744
rq5Ixi7.jpg

Did any else get a card with tape on?
IBepe9W.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at undervolting at stock clocks, Anyone got any good numbers as to where to start ?

I would start at 980mv and run heaven, lower 10 at a time and you will see sparkles when you get to low, then raise up 20mv and run time spy and some games. this worked for me, I can run heaven at 930mv but let it sit at 950mv. 920mv shows the sparkles for me.

Back
Top Bottom