• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
Crap cooler too....uses a heat pad on the gpu die as the metal heat sink leaves gaps ....

All on a 700 quid plus card...

Way to go AMD:rolleyes:

i think the guru3d review he only gained 2c by changing the pad to some high end paste, so the pad is probably equal or better to a lot of garbage pastes/applications. my personal wtf are u doing thing is the shroud where it says radeon being so huge its stupid :/ blocking airflow.

Caporegime
i think the guru3d review he only gained 2c by changing the pad to some high end paste, so the pad is probably equal or better to a lot of garbage pastes/applications. my personal wtf are u doing thing is the shroud where it says radeon being so huge its stupid :/ blocking airflow.

The logo was dumb, they could have made it smaller so that entire top section would have had the same gap for air to escape instead of it blocking off an air vent.

Associate
The logo was dumb, they could have made it smaller so that entire top section would have had the same gap for air to escape instead of it blocking off an air vent.

I'm buying one the second I can get a water block. It'll be interesting to see what results are possible under better cooling.

Caporegime
VqRZ5D6.jpg

Just done this in paint, not sure why they didn't go with this, just takes them to move the logo forward slightly and take out a piece of the aluminium.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bad cooler design. ^^^^^

Better cooler design:

A single fan cooler would never be enough to handle the radeon vii so it is what it is. And btw, dumping the hot air in the case only increases internal temps marginaly, 4-5 c or thereabouts so its not as bad as people make out.

Permabanned
A single fan cooler would never be enough to handle the radeon vii so it is what it is.

A design with two smaller turbines on the far right/top right part of the PCB, and heatpipes going from the large Vega 20 "vapour-chamber" directly to the left, connecting with the ports plate and transfering the heat directly to all the metal section of the chassis will keep the Vega 20 cold as ice. I promise you :D

Caporegime
A design with two smaller turbines on the far right/top right part of the PCB, and heatpipes going from the large Vega 20 "vapour-chamber" directly to the left, connecting with the ports plate and transfering the heat directly to all the metal section of the chassis will keep the Vega 20 cold as ice. I promise you :D

You already talked about this the other day, if it was as easy or as effective as you make out it would have been done a long time ago. Just because we only see 3 main cooler designs from companies (blower, axial and aio) doesn't mean that behind the scenes they haven't experimented with other options.

Permabanned
You already talked about this the other day, if it was as easy or as effective as you make out it would have been done a long time ago. Just because we only see 3 main cooler designs from companies (blower, axial and aio) doesn't mean that behind the scenes they haven't experimented with other options.
\

I want a product which they sell to me, and I see it. What they do behind the scenes you can't know. Maybe they never did it.

Associate
\

I want a product which they sell to me, and I see it. What they do behind the scenes you can't know. Maybe they never did it.

Maybe you should apply for chief cooler designer at AMD. all the top air coolers are triple fan design and iam sure asus, Msi and the rest have put a lot of time into there designs, perhaps the cooler on the 2080ti lightning is the reason it costs so much. I think AMD went this
way to save it taking up 2 slots across the PCie lanes.

VqRZ5D6.jpg

Just done this in paint, not sure why they didn't go with this, just takes them to move the logo forward slightly and take out a piece of the aluminium.

Now that would have been better, a smaller logo with better heat dissipation.

Permabanned
Maybe you should apply for chief cooler designer at AMD. all the top air coolers are triple fan design

I don't know. There are double fan designs and I am sure they are better than the reference Radeon VII.

They just order some type of a cooler from a third company and slap it over the die never thinking is it good, is it not good, will customer complain, whatever, just slap it there and whatever happens...
The problem is that they don't design the graphics cards as one unity but slap different parts no one knows from where found and whatever happens.
Hence, the terrible results.

Caporegime
\

The fact that a dual blower card has never seen the light of day suggests it was tried and never worked. Do you honestly think companies would try dual and triple axial fans and never have the same thought about the possibility of a dual blower fan card? Unlikely.

Caporegime
Now that would have been better, a smaller logo with better heat dissipation.

Funny thing is the logo is exactly the same size, just moved forward and that piece of aluminium blocking the fins removed. Bit odd why this seemingly never occurred to them, i mean if you look at the pcie power connectors they even have little portions cut out for some fins to show through, yet for the main top area of the card they thought it better to taper it in heavily with aluminium. :confused: Nvidia did exactly the same thing with the turing coolers, the geforce logo tapered in heavily blocking off the fins and minimising the amount of space that air could be funneled through. Though they done it at both the top and bottom of the card which was doubly dumb.

Whether this makes much of a difference in reality we'll never know, unless someone willing to take a hacksaw to their coolers :p

Back
Top Bottom