• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
@Vince @Illuminist

That got me a better result in Firestrike extreme, The first result is stock, the second is with just the power limit max'd & the third is with the tweaks and auto memory overclock. I'm not sure what's going on with my cpu though?

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18241004/fs/18227926/fs/18261261
What did you set the core and voltage to? and did you see a healthy increase in core speed on the wattman graph thingy?
Glad it worked for you too, that means me and @Vince are breaking ground, can't see this technique anywhere else on the internet :)

Soldato
Does anyone know, when there will be -
Afterburner support -
Gpu-z Support -
3dmark support for the drivers / card clocks showing up properly -
OverdriveNtool -

Or a new driver for the card?
I don't even know who to @
There used to be @AMDmatt
What happened to him?
@Gibbo
Who is an AMD rep now?

Permabanned
I do think that when they get the driver properly sorted that it will be a lot like vega for overclocking. Just messing around now shows it has some legs for overclocking/undervolting when the drivers are properly sorted I see this being a lot like vega.

It's definitely gonna take a while to get used to doing it like this.

What did you set the core too and did you see a healthy increase in core speed on the wattman graph thingy?
Glad it worked for you too, that means me and @Vince are breaking ground, can't see this technique anywhere else on the internet :)

I tried the core up to 1850 but it didn't do much, However I did have a small undervolt on it maybe not undervolting will show an improvement,

For the moment I have the power limt at 20%, the core at 1802 the mv at 1012, the memory autoclocked to 1200 and the fan's limited to 54%,
There's no sign of thermal throttling but I won't know for sure until I do some long gaming sessions.

Soldato
What PSU are you guys running a VII on?

I'm not sure if I have a bad PSU (750w EVGA G2) or it's driver/card related.

My current issue is that I can test heaven no issues at stock/995mV, but have crashes that I can't narrow the root cause too other than either a faulty card, bad driver, or PSU. Memtest and CHKDSK shows good on both.

Currently on a 950F 3440x1440 UW main monitor and a 1080p 144hz benq (non sync) secondary.

However, if I'm playing a game and tab or click to discord (hw acceleration off) it will cause black screen and hard lock my comp forcing a restart. I'm able to replicate it in WoW farily easily (Fullscreen Borderless option) when I click from WoW to Discord and back to WoW it will stutter, lag, and eventually the displays stop and the computer will restart.

Even at stock settings this will happen.

I had a GTX 970 previously, and used DDU clean wipe to shutdown for new card before installing R7.

I noticed somebody else in this thread had a similar issue when installing the drivers, and I also ran into this problem too, during the install of the drivers where it didn't recognize the driver type saying "radeon settings and driver versions do not match", even though I know for sure it's the Adrenaline 19 for Windows 10 64bit. When I installed the drivers, it was installing what appeared to be an 18.5 previous version, but once installed the drivers read as the adrenaline 19 version. I've tried installing it multiple times also, and get the same message each time.

I've tried using just the ultrawide, thinking it was related to the second monitor, but I can replicate the slowdown by alt-tabbing.
I've tried disabling Freesync, thinking it was sync related on both the monitor and the driver (no results).
Tuning the monitor from 144hz to 120hz showed the same results.
I've ran DOOM Full screen (with both monitors plugged in) and it crashed shortly before the tutorial stage ended. (This is what leads me to believe it might be power related and my PSU is crapping out on me).

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on the root cause, because I've been hearing many reports of buggy drivers, and my card seems to be fine in Heaven benchmark at both stock and undervolted.

I've been busy working since Friday, so I haven't had enough time to fully tinker with it, but I'm wanting to throw this information out there incase somebody else has this issue or had this issue and resolved it.

My next step will likely be fully re-imaging my desktop.

Sorry for the long post :x.

Edit: 5820K @ 3.5ghz (AIO h110i (I believe), 16g ram, 750w Supernova G2, 3 SSD.)

Last edited:
Soldato
What PSU are you guys running a VII on?

I'm not sure if I have a bad PSU (750w EVGA G2) or it's driver/card related.

My current issue is that I can test heaven no issues at stock/995mV, but have crashes that I can't narrow the root cause too other than either a faulty card, bad driver, or PSU. Memtest and CHKDSK shows good on both.

Currently on a 950F 3440x1440 UW main monitor and a 1080p 144hz benq (non sync) secondary.

However, if I'm playing a game and tab or click to discord (hw acceleration off) it will cause black screen and hard lock my comp forcing a restart. I'm able to replicate it in WoW farily easily (Fullscreen Borderless option) when I click from WoW to Discord and back to WoW it will stutter, lag, and eventually the displays stop and the computer will restart.

Even at stock settings this will happen.

I had a GTX 970 previously, and used DDU clean wipe to shutdown for new card before installing R7.

I noticed somebody else in this thread had a similar issue when installing the drivers, and I also ran into this problem too, during the install of the drivers where it didn't recognize the driver type saying "radeon settings and driver versions do not match", even though I know for sure it's the Adrenaline 19 for Windows 10 64bit. When I installed the drivers, it was installing what appeared to be an 18.5 previous version, but once installed the drivers read as the adrenaline 19 version. I've tried installing it multiple times also, and get the same message each time.

I've tried using just the ultrawide, thinking it was related to the second monitor, but I can replicate the slowdown by alt-tabbing.
I've tried disabling Freesync, thinking it was sync related on both the monitor and the driver (no results).
Tuning the monitor from 144hz to 120hz showed the same results.
I've ran DOOM Full screen (with both monitors plugged in) and it crashed shortly before the tutorial stage ended. (This is what leads me to believe it might be power related and my PSU is crapping out on me).

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on the root cause, because I've been hearing many reports of buggy drivers, and my card seems to be fine in Heaven benchmark at both stock and undervolted.

I've been busy working since Friday, so I haven't had enough time to fully tinker with it, but I'm wanting to throw this information out there incase somebody else has this issue or had this issue and resolved it.

My next step will likely be fully re-imaging my desktop.

Sorry for the long post :x.

Edit: 5820K @ 3.5ghz (AIO h110i (I believe), 16g ram, 750w Supernova G2, 3 SSD.)
I have this as well, and I am also the person who posted about the "radeon settings and driver versions do not match" when i tried to reinstall it.

I can bench fine but running Rainbow 6 or PUBG or Resident Evil 2 for about 30 minutes either results in a game crash or the pc locking up. I can speed this up by undervolting by 10mv or overclocking, but this mentioned crashes are with me touching NOTHING at all.

I also get strange lines on my monitor that didn't used to happen, they seem random in their timing, but when they happen it seems like the HDMI cable is loose but its not because, if i run 3dmark it wont happen at all until im back at the desk top and then randomly ( like once every 2 minutes) ill see these lines.

very worried

Associate
I have this as well, and I am also the person who posted about the "radeon settings and driver versions do not match" when i tried to reinstall it.

I can bench fine but running Rainbow 6 or PUBG or Resident Evil 2 for about 30 minutes either results in a game crash or the pc locking up. I can speed this up by undervolting by 10mv or overclocking, but this mentioned crashes are with me touching NOTHING at all.

I also get strange lines on my monitor that didn't used to happen, they seem random in their timing, but when they happen it seems like the HDMI cable is loose but its not because, if i run 3dmark it wont happen at all until im back at the desk top and then randomly ( like once every 2 minutes) ill see these lines.

very worried

Try restarting wattman to defaults and retest. I think it sounds like you are getting what happened to be during testing. Applying an undervolt made the fan pickup go very lazy and you are getting an over heating card hence the lockup and restart.

Soldato
Try restarting wattman to defaults and retest. I think it sounds like you are getting what happened to be during testing. Applying an undervolt made the fan pickup go very lazy and you are getting an over heating card hence the lockup and restart.
I have tried this and many things, i have reset the driver, restarted the pc, even Firefox is acting messed up

very worried
I can confirm all of these issues.

I first thought the crashes was a result of the underclock, so I left wattman at stock and still received them.
I thought it was due to Freesync so I disabled them, and then I noticed windows had the tears you mentioned.
I then changed my hz from 144 to 120 to see if it was a display port issue, but still had the crashes.
I've changed the Display port cable to two different ones (all three I've confirmed worked before) with crashes.

I really feel like this is a driver issue that's specific to certain hardware.

At this point my thoughts are a faulty card, faulty driver, or not powerful enough PSU.

I never owned Vega 64 or 56, but my understanding is that the Liquid version of it required a minimum 750-1000w psu, but again that's at stock and those cards (as well as this one) undervolts very well. If these cards cause power spikes that aren't easy to measure, it could be the cause of this instability, but I feel like any number of reviewers worth their salt would have caught this.

This hasn't fixed the issue for me, unfortunately.

I've experience the crashes with a fresh Adrenaline 19.2.1 install with wattman not even touched, and upon reboot (after a black screen crash forcing my pc to reset) a prompt will appear saying wattman settings are now reset. I went to global wattman after, and it gave me the warning to accept, showing that I never touched it.

I've had the crash with it overvolted, undervolted, underclocked (1750/stock, 1780/1025, 1800/995, 1800,1068 [this is what my card stock settings are]). I've tried many different stock/voltages with no real success. I'm able to run benchmarks and stress test the cards, but during actual gameplay is when I run into issues.

Last edited:
Have you tried running ddu in safe mode?
There's issues with browsers in general at the moment, I've been having issue with chrome on YouTube but edge is fine! (This is on my browser rig 2400g).
Not who you are talking to, but I am experiencing similar issues to him/her. When I ran DDU to originally install the card it was in safe mode, and every other time I've run DDU has been in safe mode.

I don't use Firefox, but I have seen some issues with Chrome which coincidentally enough occurred shortly before I noticed slight horizontal screen tears on my desktop @ 144hz (which is what made me drop it to 120hz).

Back
Top Bottom