How do I install Fedora theme?

Soldato
OP
What DE do you have installed? Search for 'Appearance', and if it's not there you can use Gnome Tweak Tool to change the theme.

Gnome.

I installed the tweak tool but the theme wasn't present.

Some people say it needs to be extracted in to ~/ but I would have thought that the install should cover that as standard otherwise no point installing from repo.

Soldato
Weird. I fired up a Fedora live USB last night to try out 29, and remembered your post. I installed a few things (papirus icon theme etc), and could change to them in tweak tool no problem. *shrug* Does the package page have any extra installation info? Sorry mate, I don't know what else to suggest.

Soldato
OP
These are the instructions:

Installation
Manual installation
  1. Download and uncompress the zip file.
  2. Move "Flat Remix" folder to ".icons" in your home directory.
  3. Select "Flat Remix" as icon theme via distribution specific tweaktool.
Terminal installation
cd /tmp && rm -rf flat-remix &&
git clone https://github.com/daniruiz/flat-remix &&
mkdir -p ~/.icons && cp -r flat-remix/Flat-Remix* ~/.icons/ &&
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme "Flat-Remix"

Ubuntu based distributions
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daniruiz/flat-remix
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install flat-remix

Fedora based distributions
sudo dnf copr enable daniruiz/flat-remix
sudo dnf install flat-remix

I obviously did the Fedora part then install gnome-tweak tool. But the themes weren't present.

Soldato
OP
There are these instructions which I guess I can try.

Thing is I am OCD about these kinda things. I will use a theme if it comes bundled with the OS but downloading a custom theme and skinning the OS myself makes me OCD tingle. (performance/security/future to break stuff during OS updates.)

Soldato
Without going all IT Crowd on you, have you tried logging out and back in again? If it's added to ~/.icons then it may take a refresh (i.e. fresh session) to pick them up?

Soldato
Did you make any progress with this, @opethdisciple? I installed a Fedora 29 VM tonight to test it out for you. I added RPMFusion (free, non-free and tainted) repos as I normally would, then installed a few basics (chromium-vaapi, Intel hw acceleration drivers/libva/vaapi, WireGuard etc). I then did:

Code:
sudo dnf install -y gnome-tweaks arc-theme papirus-icon-theme

And then launched Gnome Tweaks. I changed icons to Papirus Dark, and the window/widgets theme to Arc Dark. Done.

Oi2rfsO.png

Soldato
Sorry for the double post, but you'll like it. I found your issue - you didn't install everything. I added your copr repo and installed flat-remix as per your OP. Then I got to thinking 'Hold on, flat-remix-WHAT? Icons? Theme? Widgets?'.... So I did a dnf search flat-remix, and I got results for flat-remix, flat-remix-gtk and flat-remix-gnome. I installed those too, and ta daaa.

2LM6V3y.png

Have fun young Sir. ;)

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the double post, but you'll like it. I found your issue - you didn't install everything. I added your copr repo and installed flat-remix as per your OP. Then I got to thinking 'Hold on, flat-remix-WHAT? Icons? Theme? Widgets?'.... So I did a dnf search flat-remix, and I got results for flat-remix, flat-remix-gtk and flat-remix-gnome. I installed those too, and ta daaa.

2LM6V3y.png

Have fun young Sir. ;)

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it ago!

Soldato
OK, that did the trick thanks.

I managed to set the icons to Papirus Dark but what did you mean by window/widgets theme to Arc Dark?

Glad you got it fixed. Sorry, ignore the Arc Dark part - that was me playing with a different theme. In your case just follow my second screenshot. You want Flat-Remix-GTK(-Dark) for 'Applications' and Flat-Remix(-Dark) for Icons.

If you really do want it like my first screenshot (i.e. not using Flat Remix any more) then you can install the Arc theme with sudo dnf install arc-theme and the option will appear in Gnome Tweaks then. Since you started out asking about Flat Remix though, as I said the fix is above and those are the settings you'll need.

Soldato
OP
Glad you got it fixed. Sorry, ignore the Arc Dark part - that was me playing with a different theme. In your case just follow my second screenshot. You want Flat-Remix-GTK(-Dark) for 'Applications' and Flat-Remix(-Dark) for Icons.

Papirus is just as good. Makes it look like the same theme as PopOS or similar.

Is this your go to theme?

What I like about it actually if I had the rpmfusion repo already installed so it was an easy install.

Is this theme maintained?

Soldato
Papirus is just as good. Makes it look like the same theme as PopOS or similar.

Is this your go to theme?

What I like about it actually if I had the rpmfusion repo already installed so it was an easy install.

Is this theme maintained?

Yeah, the Papirus icon theme is in the core Fedora repos, as is the Arc theme. Their package page says it was last updated three months ago (recent, for an icon pack). They also have the actual PopOS pop icon theme if you want to play with that, too. It (PopOS' theme) was based on papirus and paper, so your observations would make sense.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the Papirus icon theme is in the core Fedora repos, as is the Arc theme. Their package page says it was last updated three months ago (recent, for an icon pack). They also have the actual PopOS pop icon theme if you want to play with that, too. It (PopOS' theme) was based on papirus and paper, so your observations would make sense.

So these themes are available through the addition of the rpmfusion repo or they are actually repos from Fedora?

Soldato
So these themes are available through the addition of the rpmfusion repo or they are actually repos from Fedora?

All the ones discussed are from stock Fedora repos (except your copr for Flat-Remix). I didn't mean to mislead you by mentioning rpmfusion; I was simply saying I'd set up a basic VM (for my own use) and that was one of the things I did before getting around to themes. My point at the time - albeit badly illustrated - was that themes/icons worked OOTB and you must have gotten something wrong. We later discovered you'd just not installed all the components, thanks to 'faulty' instructions leaving off the GTK3 and Gnome components of the theme. RPMFusion is (mostly) for third party codecs and non-free stuff, and free stuff that for whatever reason didn't meet Fedora's licensing/packaging criteria.

Back
Top Bottom