• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
I can confirm all of these issues.

I first thought the crashes was a result of the underclock, so I left wattman at stock and still received them.
I thought it was due to Freesync so I disabled them, and then I noticed windows had the tears you mentioned.
I then changed my hz from 144 to 120 to see if it was a display port issue, but still had the crashes.
I've changed the Display port cable to two different ones (all three I've confirmed worked before) with crashes.

I really feel like this is a driver issue that's specific to certain hardware.

At this point my thoughts are a faulty card, faulty driver, or not powerful enough PSU.

I never owned Vega 64 or 56, but my understanding is that the Liquid version of it required a minimum 750-1000w psu, but again that's at stock and those cards (as well as this one) undervolts very well. If these cards cause power spikes that aren't easy to measure, it could be the cause of this instability, but I feel like any number of reviewers worth their salt would have caught this.
Okay, I just did a system restore to the 6th of february when everything was perfect.
I installed the latest chipset drivers for my MOBO just in case. (at this point everything worked properly)
i installed the radeon 7 drivers and the problems have instantly come back, I have the weird lines of random distortion on the screen (like lines of static briefly appearing)
This is before I have literally even opened the newly installed crimson GUI
Is this the card or the drivers, I REALLY REALLY need to know

Soldato
Again, those with no issues on their R7, what wattage/make PSU are you all using?
Please other owners help us out, please post your motherboard make also @definitelynotatwork and others.

Benchmarks are running fine but gaming is a nightmare of crashes, even windows task manager ***ks up with the card installed , clicking on "restart" on windows itself doesn't work and clicking "shut down" crashes the Pc and freezes the screen requiring me to press the reset button

Last edited:
Please other owners help us out, please post your motherboard make also @definitelynotatwork and others.

Benchmarks are running fine but gaming is a nightmare of crashes, even windows task manager ***ks up with the card installed , clicking on "restart" on windows itself doesn't work and clicking "shut down" crashes the Pc and freezes the screen requiring me to press the reset button
Mobo in my system is an Asus X99-A ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/ )

I haven't updated it's BIOS in a few years, I will check on that when I get home tonight also.

Soldato
Mobo in my system is an Asus X99-A ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99A/ )

I haven't updated it's BIOS in a few years, I will check on that when I get home tonight also.
Thanks for that, to answer your earlier question I had a vega 64 watercooled and i used +250% power limits mods on it , i also had 2 in crossfire for a while all on a 850w Superflower power supply so it's not the PSU that's the problem from my end.

Man of Honour
Thanks for that, to answer your earlier question I had a vega 64 watercooled and i used +250% power limits mods on it , i also had 2 in crossfire for a while all on a 850w Superflower power supply so it's not the PSU that's the problem from my end.

Just so you know, no freezing or any other issues this end. I have still only played csgo to be fair and run benchmarks etc. Not had a single crash, black screen or anything of note. Shutdown, restart and all that jazz is working as it should be. Board is a Taichi x399 as you know. Power supply is a seasonic 860 platinum.

When I installed the driver I went to custom and selected the amd clean install option. Not sure if this helped at all but I do normally do that if i get a new card.

Last edited:
Associate
This I was going to explain to everyone today.
Vince discovered that the auto memory overclock button worked and really well.

I then discovered you can lock the core at 1900 with both white bars, adjust the mv to your liking. set +20% power limit, adjust the fan curve then press apply.
THEN
Press the auto memory overclock button and hit apply.

It will apply the memory and core oc with the manual fan curve and other tweaks you did

Nice findings. Will try tomorrow. Same discussion on OC.net. personally I was using the forced windowed mode for gaming (shortcut -w) I found out.

When I do that Im not getting the mem locks and my clock OC also is accepted. Can get 2000+ mhz OC ;) with 20% Powerlimit.

Mobo: CH7
PSU: Seasonic 1200w

Soldato
Just so you know, no freezing or any other issues this end. I have still only played csgo to be fair and run benchmarks etc. Not had a single crash, black screen or anything of note. Shutdown, restart and all that jazz is working as it should be. Board is a Taichi x399 as you know. Power supply is a seasonic 860 platinum.

When I installed the driver I went to custom and selected the amd clean install option. Not sure if this helped at all but I do normally do that if i get a new card.
Yeah I used custom install, there is something terribly wrong with the drivers or this card, I'm leaning heavily towards the card as it's been weird from the moment I ran my first game with it.

Man of Honour
Yeah I used custom install, there is something terribly wrong with the drivers or this card, I'm leaning heavily towards the card as it's been weird from the moment I ran my first game with it.

Right time to redeem that re2 code and see what you are talking about.

@Illuminist I feel dumb for not asking you earlier, but who is your R7 sold/manufactured by?

Mine was a Sapphire model I got from newegg here in the United States (bought day 1).

I'm wondering, if it is card related, if we can pinpoint the manufacturing defect. I'm guessing these cards, despite them all be reference, were built in different facilities.

Associate

Morning all!
Just reading through whats been said over night.
When you run DDU in safe mode it removes the Graphics drivers but at the same time the Chipset driver too! It doesn't remove the chipset in normal windows mode.
So step 1 would be DDU in safe mode.
2: Back into windows, https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470 install chipset driver and restart.
3: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-vii install that on custom and restart.

At this point you should on paper have a good set of drivers.

I'd do your bios too: X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING looking at your info.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#support-dl-bios
F6.

Another thing people more than likely are not aware of since Vega is how the card reacts after a hard lock crash. They do a UEFI boot now so after a crash a normal restart isn't good enough. You need to power the system down, as in flick the PSU switch off or at the wall and empty the caps of power (press the power botton with the power off). It stops issues.

Associate
finally got mine in last night after being away.

So far so good to be honest. Played BFV for a few hours just fine, ultra settings on 1440p ultrawide. Sitting pretty at 100hz [max] freesync. Fresh install of windows mind.

that's on an asus rog strix 470 -f, I have a CX650M PSU from Corsair, few years old now.

We'll see how things go in other games and so on when I find time this week.

Associate
im surprised people with issues haven't tried a fresh windows install (which now adays is super quick) i was having issues with frame rates with my gpu i had tried DDU (which made things worse) after a nice fresh install i was seeing no issue and also an improvement of 10-20fps in most games.

Associate
im surprised people with issues haven't tried a fresh windows install (which now adays is super quick) i was having issues with frame rates with my gpu i had tried DDU (which made things worse) after a nice fresh install i was seeing no issue and also an improvement of 10-20fps in most games.

I actually wasn't planning to as I reinstalled only a week ago when I got the Ryzen, but i messed up and didn't format the boot drive properly and get the records on the right drive, which went to hell when I put an old 'master' drive in. Bashed my head against a brick wall for too long trying to fix that, which frankly was pointless since as you say - reinstalling windows is easy nowadays! Perhaps that headache was for the best.

Back
Top Bottom