The Division 2 - March 2019

Man of Honour
I like the game a lot but the interface is clunkier, too much pointless double clicking things. Also aiming seems weird, I can point my sniper rigfle at a stationary enemy literally 10 meters away with the reticule plainly over the target and it will not turn red, and it will miss when shot. I understand bullet drop but this is really odd, it's like it doesn't register the hit box properly.

Sounds like the TD1 problem where the game doesn't sync properly until you fire the first shot which obviously isn't great with sniper rifles.

Soldato
I like the game a lot but the interface is clunkier, too much pointless double clicking things. Also aiming seems weird, I can point my sniper rigfle at a stationary enemy literally 10 meters away with the reticule plainly over the target and it will not turn red, and it will miss when shot. I understand bullet drop but this is really odd, it's like it doesn't register the hit box properly.

After messing around with the end game character I found the menus to be absolutely atrocious when it comes to modding etc.

Completed the mission on hard with just 3 of us. A few deaths but no squad wipes. Was ok apart from the grenade spam and random 1 hit deaths (possibly sync / network related).

Also I detest the Baton wielding Hyena enemies on hard. The stun locking (which they have confirmed will be nerfed for the full game) is utterly stupid.

Associate
After messing around with the end game character I found the menus to be absolutely atrocious when it comes to modding etc.
Agreed, the initial start to the game and the gameplay and the overall experience is above average imo. But the menus and modding are an absolute cluster something.

Associate
Agreed, the initial start to the game and the gameplay and the overall experience is above average imo. But the menus and modding are an absolute cluster something.

Yes, there are plenty of examples of good inventory systems. The Stalker games had a simple system that worked well, and they are over 10 years old.

I couldn’t seem to activate the stash by clicking on what I would have thought was the obvious button. It seemed to be a very circular way of getting to the stash.

I did note though that you only have to press one button to fast travel...

Cheers

Man of Honour
Aside from needing some slight tweaks to better filter/group new items, attachments and other mods I don't see the need to change from TD1 in that respect the inventory system seems to have been reinvented for the sake of reinventing it and in a lot of cases needlessly requires an extra 1-2 steps from TD1.

Soldato
Honestly I thought "console ports" were getting better buy imo they are getting worse.

Both Anthem and TD2 recently have had almost no effort put into the PC interface. Why am I having to press space all of the time when I've already left clicked on what I want. Why am I using keys like U and V to move left and right in a menu.

Other games are doing weird stuff too, Forza Horizon 4 also has almost no thought into mouse and keyboard and as far as I can tell has no way to text chat with people. FH4 is kind of forgivable in some regards are most are likely playing it with a pad and it has pretty good xbox crossplay.

In the grand scheme of things how much effort does it actually take to iron out these issues?

Associate
I liked the first game and could solo most of the content. When I played as a group of 2 it was more fun purely because of the extra interactions not because the game got easier. I didn't like that the difficulty was pretty much just ramping up the health pot of enemies so I wasted more ammo (bullet sponges)

I'm getting mixed messages about TD2. Not entirely sure I'm going to like it but may well try it.

@chrcoluk any chance of grabbing a beta code? Is it still on for a day or two?

Soldato
Z to select party invite was the weirdest one for me.

I just assumed it would be F or space (you know the two keys the game constantly switches between for complete an action) but nope.

I must admit thought assuming the menus looks identical on console then I can see just as much frustration there as well.

After we had completed the DZ mission, I spent far too long staring at the stash screen trying to work out how to collect the things I had extracted. Oh so I had to move right on a menu that I could barely see (in terms of overall UI the menus left and right take up about 3% of the visible space).... THAT makes sense... /s

Soldato
I liked the first game and could solo most of the content. When I played as a group of 2 it was more fun purely because of the extra interactions not because the game got easier. I didn't like that the difficulty was pretty much just ramping up the health pot of enemies so I wasted more ammo (bullet sponges)

I'm getting mixed messages about TD2. Not entirely sure I'm going to like it but may well try it.

@chrcoluk any chance of grabbing a beta code? Is it still on for a day or two?

Beta ends today unfortunately.

Regarding the menu its a weird combination, some items you can right click on for more options which feels good, but then others you move into using weird keyboard controls. Inconsistent to say the least.

Associate
My 2 cents from the beta

Overall: It feels like the TTK out-of-cover has been cranked up to 10, whereas the NPC cooldowns are unchanged. It also feels like my character has had a stroke between TD1 and TD2, every action / skill deployment seems to take twice as long. There also seems to be more stagger in general, than I remember in TD1.

I get that face tank / rush element from TD1 needed a tweak, but I feel like this slightly too skewed towards NPCs.

Even with 4 competent players, the overall feel of the lvl 30 mission and TTK was pretty meh. I’m sure elements of this will improve as you get properly geared, with gearsets and good weapons / mods etc. But it was slightly worrying, getting melted by some random red bar mobs at the exit of the lvl 30 mission, while wearing all purple and gold gear.

Not a fan of the signature weapon / ultimate change at all; got 5 crossbow bolts, that couldn’t 1 shot a gold mob and had no additional ammo drop throughout the whole mission :confused:

Menu / UI as previously mentioned feels like a step back; even just the little things like pressing “V” to mark as junk, used to auto move you to the next item.

Bugs from TD1 are seemingly still apparent, no audio on weapons etc.

On a positive note: The world feels fantastic to explore and I enjoyed playing the missions at levels 1-7 rather than the endgame level 30 mission. So I think it will be worth a purchase to play through to level 30 and clear the map. Then see how the end game develops.

Soldato
Aside from the naff inventory, which didn't bother me that much, I highly enjoyed the beta.

Needs some slight tweaks, bring back neutral lighting, more dynamic weather - it's by no means perfect but can't wait for the full release.

Man of Honour
Afraid not for me - I might buy it at say £10-15 for the 1-30 experience but definitely not at current prices unless a lot changes.

To be fair there was a lot I thought was good but I have a really bad taste in the mouth over how they made such a big thing of the underlying problems in TD1 not being worth the developer resources to fix versus getting it right with a new game and so justify switching focus away from TD1 and then most of the underlying problems exist exactly the same and I hate being taken for a mug.

jpm

jpm

Associate
Not a fan of the signature weapon / ultimate change at all; got 5 crossbow bolts, that couldn’t 1 shot a gold mob and had no additional ammo drop throughout the whole mission :confused:

Yep same here, I picked the grenade launcher, used it once lol

When we did the level 30 mission I found it ok. But think we were battling network issues to because a few times we would get one shotted from behind cover. Also the drone spam!!!!

Overall I did enjoy my time in the beta (when it didn't crash and eat up my ram) definetly getting it because had it free with my gpu.

Soldato
The signature weapons seem odd in the way they dish out the ammo. It appears to be based on how you get the kill. This is easy with the sniper as you just have to get headshots to get a chance (as long as you hit them in the head with the weapon it seems to drop ammo when they eventually die). With the other two weapons though it looks to have been based on whether they died with the (weapons) status effect in place. If not then no ammo..

Seems ok on paper but just leads to little no ammo in practice.

One suggestion on reddit was to have the ammo on a cooldown instead of a (status impacted) drop. Whether this would work or not I have no idea.

Also I found the standard Sniper build was utterly useless in anything beyond sitting right at the back and picking off the enemies one by one. That would fine if the enemies didn't bum rush constantly. I found a good solution in a 110 round M60 that dropped. This allowed me to actually put up a fight at anything beyond long range (plus I felt like a right bad ass unloading that many rounds constantly). :D

Man of Honour
The missus and I loved it.

We both have over 400 hours each in TD1 so we were looking forward to seeing what TD2 had to offer, whilst being apprehensive about the potential lack of atmosphere with it not being set in the winter.

Overall though, we were both very very happy with the beta (so much so on her part that she immediately upgraded to the ultimate edition). We did both the zones then we did a few hours in the dark zone and lastly we duo'ed the endgame mission, which we were slightly disappointed with because the two of us breezed through the endgame mission without either of us dying and slaughtered everyone with ease. Would like to see that made a little tougher but I suppose it will have the same difficulty options as TD1 and can up the difficulty in there.

In the end we loved the aesthetics and atmosphere, really felt like there was a lot more ground detail and clutter. Loved the sheer amount of lootable items all over the map, almost every objective we headed to took an extra hour because we kept stopping to loot things. Miss the civilians from TD1 though, there were loads of them milling about in the streets in TD1 and didn't really see any at all in TD2 which made things seem a little more lifeless, hoping that's just something for beta or for these particular zones. As some others have mentioned, GOT to get Neutral Lighting back and also the graphics need a little tweaking still (possibly due to this being beta) as things like hair etc looked a bit odd.

But absolutely a day one purchase for both of us and we cant wait to spend hundreds of hours in TD again.

Man of Honour
there were loads of them milling about in the streets in TD1 and didn't really see any at all in TD2 which made things seem a little more lifeless, hoping that's just something for beta or for these particular zones.

Might be intentional - some people have suggested they've been aiming for an Omega Man (probably more the remake than the original) type ambiance.

EDIT: Googling it apparently there are a few I Am Legend easter eggs in TD1 so probably something to that.

Soldato
I suppose it makes sense somewhat from a lore perspective as this is a few months(?) down the line from Div 1. The Civilians look to be either dead (there are a lot of bodies unlike Div 1) or have joined the JTF/resistance/ in settlements for protection.

Man of Honour
TD1 has quite a lot of bodies - some streets and locations have stacks of them - not so much people dying in the streets though more mass grave type setups.

Back
Top Bottom