Has your handwriting deteriorated since primarily using computers?

Associate
It's actually improved a bit, but that's because I use a proper tablet for certain parts of work and so I'm technically still handwriting. Which reminds me, need to grab some new nibs for the pen.

Soldato
I learned to type at the same time as learning to write as we got out first PC in 1994 or so. I also write quite a bit at work so my handwriting hasn't got worse since primarily using computers (technically it has got a lot better :D). It does look at lot like my Dad's handwriting over the last five years though, which is equally as despressing as it is interesting as the only time I see his writing is in cards or on his calendar etc!

Commissario
Has anyone else noticed that their handwriting has got worse after moving over to using computers for the majority of their writing?

Mine has always been terrible, partly due to health issues when I was young and despite a year of tuition specifically to improve it I never managed to do so (at least not in a manner that was both readable and didn't take an age to do whilst causing pain).

One of the reasons I initially got into computers was because I could write far faster (especially after taking typing lessons), on the computer and it was actually legible :)

My father before his good eye started going wrong could do some utterly beautiful calligraphy and used to have a set of fountain pens with different nibs he would use from time to time.

Soldato
Mine's definitely got worse, not just from keyboard typing replacing the written word, but also due to fracturing my right hand ~5 years ago and the consequent complications... Which have also impaired its co-ordination for other things such as racket sports a little.

Associate
Yes my handwriting is terrible. Mind you even as a youngster it was never great, I blame being left handed! :D
I'm exactly the same, I always had rubbish hand writing and it hasn't improved. It's hard for lefties :(

Being left-handed in a small, rural primary school in the late 70s-early 80's meant I had to teach myself to write, as none of the teachers (who were all right-handed) wanted to spend the time teaching me "the wrong way round".....my handwriting is terrible, and it now causes issues when I'm trying to help my daughter with her handwriting, as she sometimes questions why I tell her to write words in a certain (correct) way even though I don't do it myself.

I don't think using a computer has affected my handwriting....it was bad in the first place.

Soldato
Mine has been bad from day dot, used to get kept behind in school to improve my hand writing it never worked.

Am also a southpaw and now I just write in block capitals and even that's bad.

Permabanned
I used to have decent cursive but I've lost that except being able to write my name with it of course. Besides that, I can write fine.

Soldato
Yes.

My handwriting is terribad. I went to 3 different lower schools who each taught me slightly different and by the time I went to upper school (yr 9 - 6th form) I wrote up everything on PC.

Caporegime
My handwriting has always been poor, not helped by not being able to bend my thumb therefore I hold a pen a bit unnaturally to some minds, on the other hand though, (no pun intended) I left school in 1987 and computers etc was still relatively in its infancy so far as day to day life was concerned so I’d actually say mines improved over the years albeit slightly.

Soldato
Like others; I recall getting my first fountain pen in primary school, only after demonstrating I was proficient in cursive writing. I used to write a lot, especially in English and could reel off countless sheets of A4 in under an hour. Now; it is not great and a scrawl at best. I cannot even type that well either. What a disaster!

Soldato
I usually only need to write now is when filling in a form. It's not easy writing neatly between narrow lines or small boxes when you haven't held a pen for a while. It also didn't help the last time where the clipboard was flimsier than the paper.

Soldato
I feel both my handwriting and spelling has gone south since using computers. My spelling has never been amazing but sometimes even simple words I have to think about before I write them down. I do like spellcheck but it's lazy at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom