What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Hostiles

Christian Bale was on top form but the film lacked emotion and a proper ending. There were a couple of characters who changed towards the end of the film but I didn't think enough happened to explain that change.

6/10

Caporegime
Overlord.

* generic concept
* numerous plot holes
* dull, cardboard cut-out characters
* increasingly unrealistic and unbelievable behaviour from protagonists and antagonists alike
* tropes piled upon stereotypes piled upon predictable story elements randomly picked from a script writer's recycle bin

The best I can say about this movie is that it opened well. I absolutely loved the establishing scene. Sadly, it crashed shortly afterwards, and never recovered.

I rate Overlord at 13.32 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a lazy 4/10 on IMDB.

As an alternative I strongly recommend the excellent Frankenštajnova vojska, which had a tiny budget that probably wouldn't even cover coffee for the film crew on the set of Overlord.

This is an absolutely cracking little indie flick, with 100% practical effects and a whole lot of heart. It's copped a lot of undeserved abuse on IMDB, but I give it a solid 26.64 on the Haglee Scale (8/10 on IMDB).

Associate
Red Sparrow - actually quiet liked it, doubt I’d watch again but kept me thinking from start to finish, didn’t need loads of action and car chases.

Soldato
Bumblebee 8/10

Opening felt like the cartoons of old, was great to see them all in their 80's forms and was better than the entire 5 previous films

Story was okay, it showed without Michael Baysplosions and making the film an advert for how strong the US military is you can actually have a decent Transformers movie

If only this was the first of them to lead by example but hopefully they use this to reboot the franchise

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody (again) - Lifetime-channel-like cheesy and inconsistent biopic with almost no factual value (due to run time?) but Oscar worthy lead. I will not be forced to see it for the third time - 5/10
Mortal Engines - previous reviewers said it all - dieselpunk fantasy oddity trying-hard-to-push-start-franchise but ultimately short on original plot - 4/10
A Star is Born - props to Bradley, but by the end I thought I'd love to see a version where Gaga does all that stuff for him, it would be fairer for you know - feminism, and more rewarding for the viewer ;) - 7/10
Green Book - good story, well played. Among this years Oscar nominations there is as much gravitas and performance difference between Green Book and Black Panther as there would be between Saving Private Ryan and Tropic Thunder. - 8/10

Associate
Watched solo A starwars story.

Did we really need a Ray Liotta origin story? seriously couldnt get it out of my head. Its meant to be a young Harrison Ford and the actors a dead ringer, voice and all for Ray friggin Liotta. How can you get a casting that wrong?

Caporegime
Lego Movie 2
Very enjoyable, loved all the pop culture references, quite a lot of laughs too.

8/10

I was less up on it, not as good as the first movie. It had a few moments but I wasn't laughing much.

There was a woman sat near me laughing constantly and I mean constantly. Every scene change, every joke, anything.

I wish I was that easily amused!

7/10 from me

Associate
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Very Good 8.5/10 first time watching have previously seen and enjoyed the original 2009 Swedish version. Surprisingly good for a big budget hollywood remake.

Caporegime
How to train your dragon 3, the hidden world
Watched in imax
8/10

Bad guy lacked presence, but the emotion and culmination of the story plus fantastic visuals did it for me.
Just a great series throughout. Films I can watch again and again

Associate
The Square - Cannes Palme d'Or winner from last year.
Was reeeally impressed with it. It's funny as well, and very smart, and visually interesting. Some bits are a little strange / don't really work, but the bits that do work are crazy good. It's really funny - it's basically a send up of the art world.

Soldato
"Attraction" 5/10.
This is a Russian sci-fi flick with subtitles. The plot is rather pedestrian and is basically a pastiche of numerous other films. The special effects, however, are excellent. This is my second Russian film of late (the other was "The Battle of Sevastopol") and they make some decent films.

"Alien Hunter" 4/10
This was a Ch5 a couple of weeks back and, despite loving sci-fi and monster movies, I'd never seen it so gave it a go. The lead is James Spader and his acting is, as always, great but the plot is noteworthy. Not because it is anything special (I must have read/seen the same idea a dozen times already and usually handled better) but because it is literally just a collection of plot elements from other, better films. I found myself sitting there gleefully pointing out all the callbacks ("Oh wow, that is the found footage from Carpenter's The Thing", etc). There is also a brilliant bit where scientists are growing genetically engineered corn inside an Antarctic research facility and it only exists for two reasons. One to demonstrate a 'scary' plot element and the other to show a hot babe in a bikini (who also points out that she used to do her work naked - thus making you upset at the bikini :)). There is literally no other point to the scene except titillation.
On the plus side, some good acting, one excellent death scene and a nice visual touch with the corn.

Caporegime
Alita: Battle Angel

The anime and manga were before my time (I'm a late 90s anime starter), so I had no point of reference, but I really enjoyed this.

I thought the cgi was outstanding, how they got around uncanny valley by making Alita not look human worked great, and her facial expression (even the micro-expressions) were fantastic.

Fight scene choreography was also incredibly well done, none of the stupid 4-cuts-per-second-what-the-hell-is-going-on? that is so common in modern movies.

Given the swear limits on a PG-13, her F-bomb was perfectly timed for maximum effect :D

I did skip through the anime on youtube, and they seemed to remain faithful to many of the set-pieces from that. Yes, the romance angle was a bit bleh, but then it is in the source material, so they'd be damned if they didn't by purists any way.

All in all, it was probably the most enjoyable sci-fi film I have seen in a long time, and I really hope for a sequel.

8/10

Soldato
How to Train your Dragon 3

Went with Mrs Cheesyboy and the kids - it was the cheesylad's 9th birthday and he picked the movie, ahead of Lego Movie 2.

Was a good choice, it was really great. Also enjoyed looking out for Gobber's homosexuality after the reveal in HTTYD2.

Flight, 8/10 denzil was excellent , great story , good sound
This was a great movie - the plane crash was simply exhilarating, and DW is always fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom