• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Associate
It's neither a win nor a complete failure. Performance is where it should be for the cost considering the market it's been released into (which has now normalised very small peixe/performance gains generation to generation). It's efficiency is terrible when considering it's on the 7nm node. It's biggest issue is that it's direct competitor looks the better card overall, being faster on the whole while also being available with better cooling solutions.

That in itself is a problem as the 2080 was one of the most disappointing releases in some time. Still, it's good to see AMD offer performance at this level at last (even though it's only Nvidia's inertia that's allowed them to catch up).

Soldato
After read all reviews and videos...

Not far behind RTX 2080 in new games.
Up to 25% SLOWER than GTX 1080 Ti in few years old games.
DirectX 9 games has rubbish performance.
16GB HBM2 with massive 1TB bandwidth saw no benefits in games.
No hardware Ray Tracing.
Too loud at stock 55.2dB.
LOUDER when OC at 63.7dB compared to Geforce FX 5800 Ultra dustblower's 58.8dB.
At 7nm it still used same TDP as Vega 64 on 14nm, too much power at full load in games with 100-200W more than my RTX 2080 at 12nm and even GTX 1080 Ti at 16nm.
£649 for 2 years old GTX 1080 Ti performance level.

Radeon VII is an EPIC FAIL!

People out there back in August 2018 was really extremely very lucky to grabbed second handed Zotac GTX 1080 Ti cards with 4 years warranty for £350 which was absolutely bargain before value prices went up.

Last edited:
Soldato
After read all reviews and videos...

Not far behind RTX 2080 in new games.
Up to 25% SLOWER than GTX 1080 Ti in few years old games.
DirectX 9 games has rubbish performance.
16GB HBM2 with massive 1TB bandwidth saw no benefits in games.
No hardware Ray Tracing.
Too loud at stock 55.2dB.
LOUDER when OC at 63.7dB compared to Geforce FX 5800 Ultra dustblower's 58.8dB.
At 7nm it still used same TDP as Vega 64 on 14nm, too much power at full load in games with 100-200W more than my RTX 2080 at 12nm and even GTX 1080 Ti at 16nm.
£649 for 2 years old GTX 1080 Ti performance level.

Radeon VII is an EPIC FAIL!

People out there back in August 2018 was really extremely very lucky to grabbed second handed Zotac GTX 1080 Ti cards with 4 years warranty for £350 which was absolutely bargain before value prices went up.
If you look at the owners thread people are having massive stability issues to the point that even shutting down the PC causes crashes, so you can add that to the list. It really is disgraceful, I thought my faulty 2080 Ti was bad but this takes the cake. If AMD thought this Radeon 7 would be a good PR move then they are crazy, I hope this level of incompetence doesn't spill over into their CPU division because they are doing great work there.

Associate
If you look at the owners thread people are having massive stability issues to the point that even shutting down the PC causes crashes, so you can add that to the list. It really is disgraceful, I thought my faulty 2080 Ti was bad but this takes the cake. If AMD thought this Radeon 7 would be a good PR move then they are crazy, I hope this level of incompetence doesn't spill over into their CPU division because they are doing great work there.
I'm so glad that I missed out on getting one after seeing and reading all the reviews and all the instability issues people are talking about on here.
I opted for the Sapphire Vegas 64 nitro+ instead and it's a great card from what I've seen so far.
It looks like everything from the Rad7 itself to the launch has been a rush job botch up.

Soldato
I'm so glad that I missed out on getting one after seeing and reading all the reviews and all the instability issues people are talking about on here.
I opted for the Sapphire Vegas 64 nitro+ instead and it's a great card from what I've seen so far.
It looks like everything from the Rad7 itself to the launch has been a rush job botch up.
I agree, Vega 56 and 64 are great value right now and with an undervolt overclock can come pretty close to the Radeon 7.

Man of Honour
Fail for me, I was really shocked when they announced the pricing for this. Just doesn't seem to outperform Vega/RTX2060 by enough to warrant being double the price.
I thought AMD had found their niche by not competing at the top end but instead offering value in the mid-range segment, but moves like this seem way off the mark. If I was going to spend that kind of ridiculous money on a GPU I would get an RTX2080.

What makes it even more bizarre is they have a massive hole in their own pricing as well, Vega64 costs under £400 yet this is £650? They should be pricing it at £499 to undercut RTX2080/1080ti

Associate
Fail for me, I was really shocked when they announced the pricing for this. Just doesn't seem to outperform Vega/RTX2060 by enough to warrant being double the price.
I thought AMD had found their niche by not competing at the top end but instead offering value in the mid-range segment, but moves like this seem way off the mark. If I was going to spend that kind of ridiculous money on a GPU I would get an RTX2080.

What makes it even more bizarre is they have a massive hole in their own pricing as well, Vega64 costs under £400 yet this is £650? They should be pricing it at £499 to undercut RTX2080/1080ti
They'd definitely be making huge losses on each card sold then. If it had 8GB of VRAM I'd agree with you.

Soldato
It's neither a win nor a complete failure. Performance is where it should be for the cost considering the market it's been released into (which has now normalised very small peixe/performance gains generation to generation). It's efficiency is terrible when considering it's on the 7nm node. It's biggest issue is that it's direct competitor looks the better card overall, being faster on the whole while also being available with better cooling solutions.

That in itself is a problem as the 2080 was one of the most disappointing releases in some time. Still, it's good to see AMD offer performance at this level at last (even though it's only Nvidia's inertia that's allowed them to catch up).
I think catch up is the wrong term. Thankfully for AMD this isn’t the fruit of their hard work, simply a salvaged ‘broken’ data centre chip that has been repurposed into a gaming gpu albeit at a huge noise/heat cost.

If this was the result of a new gaming architecture then it would be epic fail, otherwise it is what it is.

Caporegime
The failure to me is that despite being on a new 7nm process it still pulls 300w and is 10-15% slower than a 2080, 5-8% slower than a 1080ti.

It's a failure, but not on 2900x levels because it was never designed for consumers.

I think the disappointing thing is that the 7nm process was massively over hyped. It isn't massive step up but pretty small, unless cutting power is paramount.

Caporegime

If they only have 5K to sell then they will sell out even being a failure. The AMD die hard will take care of that.

Soldato
Too early to say.

As with all Radeon products 'fine wine' definitely seems to be a thing so it should improve over time.

Plus any early hardware defects will get sorted out too.

No launch is immune to these kind of things. Just look at the Nvidia 2080ti's with their hardware issues.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

One or two people have issues, others are not. I don't think you can call this as bad as what was happening to turning at launch. Personally for me it's been trouble free as I'm sure turing was for many. The experience of the few does not reflect the experience of many.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't really get it. It's putting out around 1080ti performance, just two years later and for the same price that the 1080ti was 2 years ago.

I mean the 2080 is a rip off too but at least for the same money it has a new bit of tech (rtx).

This product just makes zero sense for the gaming market.

They should have stuck 8gb on it and charged £400 for it. No point giving it 16gb it will never use.

So sad to see so little price/performance progress in the gpu market.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
They should have stuck 8gb on it and charged £400 for it. No point giving it 16gb it will never use.

why do people keep ignoring the fact they COULDN'T! the gpu IS the instinct mi50 for whatever reason they have them left over and have mangled them to work as a gaming card to sell on to make some money on things which would probably ended up being thrown away. its not a new card its just a rebadged one so what it has on die is exactly the same as what was there before. hence the idiotic amount of hbm2 and the comedy price tag. if they could have done 8 gig or even 10 gig the card could probably have been at least £100 cheaper and been a good boot up the backside of nvidia on pricing but unless they made a totally new package it wasnt happening. this card is a stop gap until navi drops which if rumours are anywhere near correct is looking like october or later this year. as for what navi will be performance wise who knows.

Soldato
I mean the 2080 is a rip off too but at least for the same money it has a new bit of tech (rtx)...No point giving it 16gb it will never use.

So AMD bad for putting 16GB on that it will "never use", but Nvidia good for putting in RTX that - so far - it will "never use" either.

They should have stuck 8gb on it and charged £400 for it.

Sigh, this has been covered time and again. They can't. The MI50 package that's been salvaged already has 16GB strapped to it. To have just "stuck on" 8GB would mean AMD explicitly making an actual, dedicated Radeon 7 package. Which they're not doing. Do you actually know what it is you're looking at? Do you actually comprehend what Radeon 7 actually is?

This product just makes zero sense for the gaming market.

About the same amount of sense as the RTX series then?

Back
Top Bottom