Stteaming PC

Associate
Hi all,

I'm after some advice. I would like advice on parts for a streaming pc. It will be used to stream fast paced fps like COD. It needs to be able to handle this at 1080 @ 60fps while running the cpu heavy Streamlabs obs. ( background music, transitions and all that jazz)

Budget is about a grand, give or take.

Typed this hastily on my phone so excuse and mistakes

Cheers :)

Soldato
@KietsuUK

intel- better FPS for your self , specially when gaming at 1080p - all about clock speed and IPC

i8 8700 non k single core bosot is 4.6ghz and all core boost is 4.3ghz
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,060.35 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

ryzen 2700 - better quality for the viewer but you'll be taking slight hit with FPS

BB CODE
Total: £956.50 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Options if you encode via nvidia and h265

intel- ovreclock to 4.8ghz all cores

Total: £1,025.31 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

ryzen - push 4.0ghz all core clock or leave to auto boost

Total: £1,027.50 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
OP
@KietsuUK

intel- better FPS for your self , specially when gaming at 1080p - all about clock speed and IPC

Hi, this may be a stupid question but i hope you can help, I have another computer that I use to stream that has an i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz. When running a game at 720 @60fps the CPU usage is at nearly 40% when running even basic OBS software and with an old GPU taking up some of the slack. How would these newer CPUs fare better given being around the same Ghz?

Like i say, this might be a really stupid question but im not that tech savvy about this stuff. Thanks

Oh and i think i'd go with your first suggestion, but can you suggest a modular power supply. I'm a bit rubbish at cable management so that would make life easier lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi, this may be a stupid question but i hope you can help, I have another computer that I use to stream that has an i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz. When running a game at 720 @60fps the CPU usage is at nearly 40% when running even basic OBS software and with an old GPU taking up some of the slack. How would these newer CPUs fare better given being around the same Ghz?

Like i say, this might be a really stupid question but im not that tech savvy about this stuff. Thanks

you've got more cores and threads. able to handle the encoding as well as the gaming . If LEFT at SAME clock speed, not much change to be honest, and ryzen would be slightly weaker due to weaker IPC

BUT

you have a system currently- i'd use that as your Stream machine and rig above and main system ! thats what pro's do anyways. Basic 4 core CPU and a capture card .

or what are your current parts ?? could save some cash reusing, selling and upgrading core parts etc

Associate
OP
you've got more cores and threads. able to handle the encoding as well as the gaming . If LEFT at SAME clock speed, not much change to be honest, and ryzen would be slightly weaker due to weaker IPC

BUT

you have a system currently- i'd use that as your Stream machine and rig above and main system ! thats what pro's do anyways. Basic 4 core CPU and a capture card .

or what are your current parts ?? could save some cash reusing, selling and upgrading core parts etc

I'm streaming Xbox gameplay through it. My current I5 struggles with streaming 720@60FPS and SLOBS, as I said it usually has a CPU usage of nearly 40% with the GPU helping. Would you expect the above build to be better than that? My current rig would probably melt streaming 1080@60FPS lol

The current PC is an old one i built many many moons ago and will be used as the family PC, this one will be strictly for my purposes only lol

Soldato
I'm streaming Xbox gameplay through it. My current I5 struggles with streaming 720@60FPS and SLOBS, as I said it usually has a CPU usage of nearly 40% with the GPU helping. Would you expect the above build to be better than that? My current rig would probably melt streaming 1080@60FPS lol

The current PC is an old one i built many many moons ago and will be used as the family PC, this one will be strictly for my purposes only lol

yes, threads and speed . though when streaming it all depends on encoder your using . h364/h265 . Nvidia cards can use their own encoder which they are pushing with new rtx cards

Associate
OP
H264 but get the idea

Scroll to the bottom

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1185...lake-review-8700k-and-8400-initial-numbers/10

As you can see, basic intel 6 core 6 threads Bests i7 K 4 core 8 threads. Yours being 4c/4t

Not console streaming another indicator

Hi, ill give that a watch now. Just out of curiosity. If i dont plan on using this for gaming would it be worthwhile from a monetary PoV to remove the GPU from the list? or would you recommend keeping it to help the CPU.

EDIT:

After watching that vid, since im not playing games on it, looks like it'll be better to go with the Ryzen setup :)

Soldato
Hi, ill give that a watch now. Just out of curiosity. If i dont plan on using this for gaming would it be worthwhile from a monetary PoV to remove the GPU from the list? or would you recommend keeping it to help the CPU.

EDIT:

After watching that vid, since im not playing games on it, looks like it'll be better to go with the Ryzen setup :)

Ryzen 6/8 core still need a basic stand along GPU as they don't have internal iGPU like intel does .

Associate
OP
Ryzen 6/8 core still need a basic stand along GPU as they don't have internal iGPU like intel does .

Getting ready to order these parts (going with the first Ryzen setup you suggested), can you suggest a modular power supply so i don't have excess cables laying around in the case, catching dust?

EDIT:

1: I need to add windows OS into the mix. Any suggestions on what to go for, for my chosen use? The simple Home 64 bit version should do, no?

2: The motherboard is currently out of stock. Can you suggest a replacement. Looking to get these parts ordered asap. And looking at the 1 review on the OC shop of the board, its not a good chip :(. Is the MSI B450 Tomahawk ok as a replacement?

3: Just noticed the case doesnt support a dvd drive >.< (would need a change of case regardless if using the tomahawk due to the motherboard being an ATX and not mATX, i think)

4: Also would i not need an uprated cooler?

thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom