• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
980ti to 1080ti performance increase of around 70% at 1440p for an increase of $50 = not a fail

1080ti to 2080ti performance increase of around 30% at 1440p for an increase of $400 = FAIL

Soldato
980ti to 1080ti performance increase of around 70% at 1440p for an increase of $50 = not a fail

1080ti to 2080ti performance increase of around 30% at 1440p for an increase of $400 = FAIL

Actually you will find that those cheap (sub £1200) RTX2080Tis are not the same as the £1400+ RTX2080Tis.
The latter are more power efficient and clock better as the SKU is different.

Associate
2080ti is a big fail for me, cost is just stupid. Its ok though there are loads of people that suck the Nvidia fat one and will buy a space invader card for mega moniez and believe they got a good deal cus there is 1 game that sort of supports it

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Actually you will find that those cheap (sub £1200) RTX2080Tis are not the same as the £1400+ RTX2080Tis.
The latter are more power efficient and clock better as the SKU is different.

I was just keeping the costs and performance relative to FE cards to keep the playing field even

Soldato

But if you add another 20-45% on when games all in the future support DLSS you're back to a comparable increase in performance (70%). Raw performance isn't there but something had to give to bring RTX to the table :).
Hopefully next gen takes a good step forward and I think it's going to come a little sooner than normal time between generations.

Last edited:
Soldato
FE 2080 Ti clocks as well as the best and costs £1099

Add waterblock and it is even better
Is that really the case though?

I think a while back someone post something on this forum about that despite the Nvidia GPUs being the "same spec", Nvidia have separate the GPUs in the tier A parts and tier B with different part IDs/model numbers, with the teir A parts that can clock better being allocated to the more premium cards (such as AIB factory overclocked models), while the teir B parts that cannot clock as high are allocated to the lower price budget models (i.e. the blower cooler cards such as "Joker card").

Not really sure if there's any true to this.

Man of Honour
Is that really the case though?

I think a while back someone post something on this forum about that despite the Nvidia GPUs being the "same spec", Nvidia have separate the GPUs in the tier A parts and tier B with different part IDs/model numbers, with the teir A parts that can clock better being allocated to the more premium cards (such as AIB factory overclocked models), while the teir B parts that cannot clock as high are allocated to the lower price budget models (i.e. the blower cooler cards such as "Joker card").

Not really sure if there's any true to this.

A parts go into the FE cards.

Yes B parts do go into joker cards and others.

Man of Honour
Is ray-tracing still coming to Tomb Raider?

I am very unimpressed with NVidia on this, if they are going to use RTX in TR as a demo for the launch the least they can do is make sure it is included in the game after all this time.

NVidia must be getting very close to being guilty of false advertising with the RTX launch because of the lack of RTX in TR.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
But if you add another 20-45% on when games all in the future support DLSS you're back to a comparable increase in performance (70%). Raw performance isn't there but something had to give to bring RTX to the table :).
Hopefully next gen takes a good step forward and I think it's going to come a little sooner than normal time between generations.

But DLSS is reliant on Nvidia and the developers to implement. So it will never replace true physical performance improvement.

The 70% increase between 980ti and 1080ti was across all games without the need for developers or Nvidia to make it work

It just won't happen this time around and to add insult to injury they are charging a $400 premium for it

Associate
Price was a fail, definitely. I can see a justification somewhat in the larger die size compared to previous gen but.... That being said, I bought a TI and put a waterblock on it and, in isolation, I am very pleased with the performance - who wouldn't be. I enjoy playing with the various demos on RTX and DLSS and it won't be long now until we see some real life usage of those features. Time will tell if those will be fail or not, too early to tell at the moment. For now I'd withhold judgement on that - too early. They are interesting features.

Soldato
I am very unimpressed with NVidia on this, if they are going to use RTX in TR as a demo for the launch the least they can do is make sure it is included in the game after all this time.

NVidia must be getting very close to being guilty of false advertising with the RTX launch because of the lack of RTX in TR.

Same applies for ARK and quite a few games, where the developers are completely silent when DLSS will be added.

The worst part is now anything that has ray tracing, like the Quake 2 mod, straight away the media call it "RTX game" and in same sentence including RTX2080Ti.
Regardless if that doesn't need RTX card to do so and works even in ancient GTX780 or 7970 as it is using OpenGL 3.3 code

PhysX 10 years ago, was exactly the same on same marketing path. Yet by end of last year, the only good games supporting it could be counted on 2 hands, and those 4 were on same game series. Others still reported by Nvidia supporting PhysX they do not support it like Planetside 2 and others.

Last edited:
Soldato
But DLSS is reliant on Nvidia and the developers to implement. So it will never replace true physical performance improvement.

The 70% increase between 980ti and 1080ti was across all games without the need for developers or Nvidia to make it work

It just won't happen this time around and to add insult to injury they are charging a $400 premium for it
I recall someone did a direct comparison between natively rendered 3200x1800 res vs 4K DLSS, and concluded with that image quality and performance between pretty much comparable, with the latter limited to games that developers willing to support the feature, whereas the former have no such limitation.

DLSS (at the moment at least) is pretty much more for the sake of marketing than actual practicality. It's like trying to get from point A to B by take a "new shortcut" through the woods (which not everyone have the capability to do so), only to find out it is not really any more time-efficient nor is it a more pleasant experience than travelling on the road have always been available to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom