Would you be able to jump start a car or change a tyre?

Soldato
I can probably do both. I can definitely change a wheel and have done many times, and mocked people who can't. I have jump started a car a number of times, but it hasn't always gone perfectly so I would say I'm 50% on that, but I have no doubt I could make it work in a few minutes.

It always annoyed me that my sister couldn't change a tyre, so last time it happened I instructed her and watched her do it. She's strong enough. My wife, on the other hand, would call the AA. She turned around and came home on one trip not that long ago because a light came on on her dash. Turned out to be something silly like low tyre pressure. I showed her how to pump up her tyres relatively recently and she can now do that.

I was astonished to find that she had no idea how to fill up her washer fluid as she thought her car had never run out...she'd been driving it for about 7 years at that point! Her father must have been doing it secretly. I think she'd be able to do it herself next time.

I guess for most people it's a case of them learning (and that very much includes me) just as much as they need to know and want to know. I'd like to know more, but do I need it? Not massively. I could service my car myself but if anything weird came up in doing so I might struggle.

I could fix your PC though :D

Soldato
I can do most things but I like my knuckles.

The amount of time I have skinned my knuckles is crazy. I just stick to changing light bulbs, wheels and maybe the odd pipe or two, but screw the rest its nuts. (the is a joke somewhere there) .lol :D

Associate
Yes!, me Alpha Male *beats chest*

Being a qualified Mechanic does come in handy :p (although I work in IT now)

Not much I don't do myself tbh in most area's. My dad was the same.

Nothing to do with age (I'm a child of the 80's), friends of mine still don't know which way to hold a screwdriver...

Associate
I can do most things but I like my knuckles.

The amount of time I have skinned my knuckles is crazy. I just stick to changing light bulbs, wheels and maybe the odd pipe or two, but screw the rest its nuts. (the is a joke somewhere there) .lol :D
If you're not skinning your knuckles whilst changing your pipes, you're not having fun :D

Caporegime
OP
If you're not skinning your knuckles whilst changing your pipes, you're not having fun :D

You ever tried kick starting a huge single cylinder bike?

A mate of mine and I had an old XT500 which his dad gave to us on the condition that we could start it. 4 ruined shins later we finally managed it and kept it. We wore cricket pads after that :D

Associate
Can do most basic things on my car; only had to jump start it the other week when I left the internal light on overnight. I had an old Ford Fiesta as my first car which I didn't think twice about doing any work on. I've found as I've got older and cars have got newer that I can do less and less but I always insist on having a spare wheel (no space saver crap) and a set of jump leads in my car. Though I find if there's a bit of juice still left then doing a run and bump is far more fun.

Back
Top Bottom