How Do You All Backup Your Data?

Associate
I recently lost a load of photos from a drive that died which I have now sent off to hopefully get recovered.

Have never backed up my data as all my drives have always given me a little warning to when they die. So how do you all backup your data? To the cloud or into a DAS? Looking to start with either.

Soldato
I have an unRAID server with a copy of important stuff, which I also have a copy on GDrive (GSuite sub).

I always have 2 copies at home and on off-site copy of anything I can't afford to lose.

Soldato
Import files are on OneDrive (business) and/or my unRAID server.

The important stuff on the unRAID server is automatically backed up to CrashPlan.

I also image the two SSDs in my system to an internal mechanical drive every day. Those images are then copied to the unRAID server (but not CrashPlan because they're too big and change too often for my upload speed).

APM

APM

Associate
Photos automatically go to Microsofts one drive and the Google auto sync drive or whatever it's called and also copy them over to 2 external HDDs as well.
Also dropbox.
So 3 cloud back ups and 2 local,it's not overkill really as it's easy to transfer those files to anyone who uses either MS,Google or Dropbox.

Soldato
QNAP NAS but it also doubles up as a media streaming device as they are quite expensive for a simple backup at home. I also back the NAS up to old desktop drives in a caddie just because I have them and everything else has SSDs now.

Soldato
Backed to a separate drive and also use Idrive to cloud it. Used to use crashplan but they went all corporate and priced out the home users.

Man of Honour
My current setup revolves around a QNAP NAS - I have 2x RAID (for uptime convenience) HDDs in it and an external USB drive that the internal array is realtime replicated to, I also have 2 other USB external HDDs that I rotate using the front copy port to take a weekly (sometimes more like 2-3 weeks) snapshot of the contents to give another level of protection against potential cryptolocker type malware. There is a folder that is backed up to a cloud provider that I use for storing more critical stuff so as to have an off-site copy of anything important.

Soldato
Home photos and videos on Google photos (free unlimited space)
Music is on Google Music (10k free uploads)
Documents are on Google Drive
Work on a drive on my PC and on my Synology, but all final files are uploaded to Vimeo anyway.

Soldato
Microserver Gen8 running XPenology

nas_zps22c2yqm8.png

Photos also go via CloudSync to Amazon (also on iCloud)
Don't really have a music library any more as I just "stream" what I want

APM

APM

Associate
Music is a different story.
I remember digitising my vinyl collection,took quite a while so couldn't stand to lose that,lost count of how many copies of that I have but always one to hand.

Associate
I am concerned about both loss of hard disks and data corruption which could come from a ransom virus.
In terms of disk loss:
1 - All photographs are stored on 2 local disks
2 - All photographs are copied onto the cloud
3 - On an ad hoc basis photographs are written to DVD
4 - MS file history is used to keep copies of changed files on a 2nd disk
5 - Bimonthly a full Macrium Reflect image of drive C is taken
6 - Weekly a differential image of drive C is taken. These images are copied to a second computer and a normally disconnected external disk.
In terms of corruption:
1 - A backup disk of Macrium images is kept disconnected and only connected while new images are copied onto it
2 - On an ad hoc basis selected folders are copied to an external hard disk which is normally kept disconnected.

Associate
Everyday storage - RAID 1 NAS
Daily backups - External HDD, FLASH memory or Cloud storage
Monthly backup or archival - Optical media for small files, LTO Tape for large files (Multiple copies for more important data)

Back
Top Bottom