Auto location on websites set to Romania?

Soldato
On many websites I've visited over the past few months, I've noticed that the auto location comes up as Romania, i.e. the website asks if I'd like to visit the Romanian version of the website instead.

This happens with Next.co.uk every time, and today happened with TP Link's website.

I'm with Hyperoptic, using a Google Wifi kit, and using Cloudflare's DNS

I've tried changing the DNS to see if that's the issue, and I've also used a few different devices to check, but still occurs.

Any ideas?

Caporegime
It's probably tied to the IP address range that your ISP uses, it's possible forcing a new IP address might give you one closer to home but it depends on what IP ranges your ISP uses and what the DHCP server gives to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's probably tied to the IP address range that your ISP uses, it's possible forcing a new IP address might give you one closer to home but it depends on what IP ranges your ISP uses and what the DHCP server gives to you.

Awesome - cheers for the reply :)

It's mostly just annoying when I load a webpage and I have no idea what it says!!

Soldato
You know what I think I noticed this too. I'm with hyperoptic too. Cdkeys keep giving me prices with a currency named RON or ROM and I have to VPN into the UK!!!! To buy a game.

Caporegime
You need to raise this with Hyperoptic support. They might have bought an IP block recently and they need to push the geolocation services to update.

Associate
Exactly the same issue here. On Hyperoptic using Google Wifi. WhatismyIP returns a UK location. Not sure whether it is a Hyperoptic issue or Google WiFi issue?

Did anyone manage to resolve the issue>

Soldato
OP
Exactly the same issue here. On Hyperoptic using Google Wifi. WhatismyIP returns a UK location. Not sure whether it is a Hyperoptic issue or Google WiFi issue?

Did anyone manage to resolve the issue>

I never did, was told by Hyperoptic it wasn’t their issue but issue with the websites where they have old IP address location tables or something

Associate
Same here.. I've been with Hyperoptic for maybe a year and on separate computers, (laptop and desktop) all refer me to Romanian options.. Has to be them. I'll contact them tomorrow and update on any response.

Update: I contacted their customer service department and was told the exact same thing as the post above me. NOt their issue and in order to fix the issue, we as customers would need to individually contact each and every site that this applies to and ask them to update their IP pool... never had this issue before. Sounds ridiculous!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Same here.. I've been with Hyperoptic for maybe a year and on separate computers, (laptop and desktop) all refer me to Romanian options.. Has to be them. I'll contact them tomorrow and update on any response.

Update: I contacted their customer service department and was told the exact same thing as the post above me. NOt their issue and in order to fix the issue, we as customers would need to individually contact each and every site that this applies to and ask them to update their IP pool... never had this issue before. Sounds ridiculous!

I’ve had it with Virgin media and Vodafone since :)

Associate
Hi any resoults?
Im with Hyperoptic and facing same issues like you. not only internet browsers but when i restarted my Smart TV samsung on licence showed me Romanian Language then I started to change router firmware and still nothing, it must be Hyperoptic didnt had that with vodafone or BT

Back
Top Bottom