• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Permabanned
I am very unimpressed with NVidia on this, if they are going to use RTX in TR as a demo for the launch the least they can do is make sure it is included in the game after all this time.

NVidia must be getting very close to being guilty of false advertising with the RTX launch because of the lack of RTX in TR.

It reminds me of the Just Cause 3 update that never materialised, I can't remember what the update was bringing but it was a big tech update, I think it never happened because the game didn't reach the level of popularity they'd hoped it would, I'm wondering if it's a similar situation with SOTTR, It was a decent Tomb Raider game but for me I spent 20 odd hours playing it & I must be past halfway through but the story never grabbed hold of me like the others did so I've never felt the need to go back to finish the campaign. Maybe that's a common thing & why it fell of the must play radar so quick.

You knew the price was a fail yet you still bought it? I cant imagine buying something that I thought was too expensive.

Lack of options probably

Associate
I recall someone did a direct comparison between natively rendered 3200x1800 res vs 4K DLSS, and concluded with that image quality and performance between pretty much comparable, with the latter limited to games that developers willing to support the feature, whereas the former have no such limitation
This was done by hardware unboxed. DLSS is not some free performance upgrade. It's likely only marginally better than just turning down some of the aa settings or upscaling the res. As you say this can be done in all games already without any additional developer effort. What it needs is some catchy acronym....

Soldato
This was done by hardware unboxed. DLSS is not some free performance upgrade. It's likely only marginally better than just turning down some of the aa settings or upscaling the res. As you say this can be done in all games already without any additional developer effort. What it needs is some catchy acronym....
I think NV and Dice wouldn't have made a dogs dinner of implementing it in BFV and if it was as easy as for example 1800P upscaled. According to Dice it was originally meant to be included on Day 1 launch. When was the game launched now, 4 months ago?
Would be good for NV to do a technical piece on it, if they haven't already. Hour long session with Jenson in his leathers - nooooooooooooo.
Will be good to see what it brings in BFV.I'dlove to do some pre-DLSS release testing and after but don't have time.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I think NV and Dice wouldn't have made a dogs dinner of implementing it in BFV and if it was as easy as for example 1800P upscaled. According to Dice it was originally meant to be included on Day 1 launch. When was the game launched now, 4 months ago?
Would be good for NV to do a technical piece on it, if they haven't already. Hour long session with Jenson in his leathers - nooooooooooooo.
Will be good to see what it brings in BFV.I'dlove to do some pre-DLSS release testing and after but don't have time.

It might take time and effort to implement, but if it doesn't really produce an end result that much better looking or performing than simply running it at 1800p, then what is the point?

edit: It would be interesting for those that have a 20 series to run 3dmark Port Royal

1st run - full 4k
2nd run - 4k dlss
3rd run - 1800p

see what the performance figures are

Soldato
I find it quite astonishing that you think £650 for a mid range GPU is good value, 4 years ago we were buying dual top end GPU's for £500.

3 years ago i paid £270 for a GTX 970, a mid range GPU, the equivalent of the 2070 today.

No one said anything about 'value' compared to older gens. I've been quite loud about prices !

I was saying for me at the time of purchase the RTX 2080 was best value. 1080 Ti was more expensive and already had VEGA's. Not buying used as it was a used VEGA that died.

I mean yeah we would all like better prices, Nvidia have set the bar at a new level.

However out of the current cards, I think RTX 2080, GTX 1080 Ti and Radeon 7 are all monsters. If you can get a good deal even better.

Caporegime
Huge fail, the levels of justification you see these days for card purchases says it all, not that anyone needs to justify their purchase.

I mean there are people in this very thread who said on the launch or purchase of these RTX cards that they were excited to use the new features, now some of those said people are saying they aren't bothered about ray tracing or DLSS...

People keep proving to nVidia time and time again that they can do what they like, with the likes of not following through on promises or even basic ethical consumerism.

Soldato
Loving the salty tears on this thread so far.

Keep them coming.

The majority of the salty tears are coming from actual RTX owners so not really sure why you of all people are loving it. For once the majority of gpu owners from both teams are agreeing which is rare around here. RTX so far is a fail and the pricing is a joke. Those that say different are either in denial or just can't remember the good old days getting 70-100% increases each year for similar money as the gen before. RTX feature wise has came around a bit to early imo as the power is not there yet. DLSS was something i was interested in as a 4k user but then i seen you can pretty much replicate it by dropping resolution and adding some aa.

Soldato
The majority of the salty tears are coming from actual RTX owners so not really sure why you of all people are loving it. For once the majority of gpu owners from both teams are agreeing which is rare around here. RTX so far is a fail and the pricing is a joke. Those that say different are either in denial or just can't remember the good old days getting 70-100% increases each year for similar money as the gen before. RTX feature wise has came around a bit to early imo as the power is not there yet. DLSS was something i was interested in as a 4k user but then i seen you can pretty much replicate it by dropping resolution and adding some aa.
In essence, people that bought RTX cards and are like people buying games on the promise of season pass and future DLC included. But the truth is once the company got your money, they would take their sweet time in delivering what they originally promised. Same as the principle of people shouldn't really pre-order games or purchase them until the games actually deliver what's promised.

On Ray-tracing side of things, got a feeling Nvidia would probably have it dragged out, and performance issue with the hardware limitation of the first gen RTX Ray-tracing will never be truly be addressed, until the solution arrives in the form on their next gen products line-up much like the dx12 support on the Maxwell vs dx12 support on Pascal. Knowing Nvidia, I wouldn't put it pass them to even release DLSS 2.0 with better capability and efficiency alongside with next gen RTX cards which the first gen RTX cards cannot make used of for the sake of boosting the sales of the new cards.

Soldato
It might take time and effort to implement, but if it doesn't really produce an end result that much better looking or performing than simply running it at 1800p, then what is the point?

edit: It would be interesting for those that have a 20 series to run 3dmark Port Royal

1st run - full 4k
2nd run - 4k dlss
3rd run - 1800p

see what the performance figures are

Using 3DMark benchmark to do this, won't work. First of all thats the second benchmark since TimeSpy that has special Nvidia only codepath.

Have a look here

Back
Top Bottom