• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Associate
Thought this was an interesting review

In terms of content creation and mining it looks like the market leader. It will sell because of that. In terms of gaming, it looks behind the 2080, which maybe evens out at 4k. There maybe some fine wine going on as AMDs drivers catch up to Nvidia and games exceed 8gb of Vram or when games make more use of it's memory bandwidth.

Associate
About the same amount of sense as the RTX series then?
RTX 2080ti makes sense because it's the fastest gpu for gaming so it's perfect for those who want the best performance.
RTX 2080 makes sense because it's pretty much a replacement for the 1080ti that you can't buy anymore and for those who can't stretch to a 2080ti

RVII makes no sense because it competes against the 2080. It loses to 2080 and costs the same. Actually, it costs more where we are. So why on earth would anyone buy this?

Man of Honour
RTX 2080ti makes sense because it's the fastest gpu for gaming so it's perfect for those who want the best performance.
RTX 2080 makes sense because it's pretty much a replacement for the 1080ti that you can't buy anymore and for those who can't stretch to a 2080ti

RVII makes no sense because it competes against the 2080. It loses to 2080 and costs the same. Actually, it costs more where we are. So why on earth would anyone buy this?

2080 Ti is not the fastest gaming GPU.

Radeon beats the 2080 in some games and if those are the ones you play it does make sense.

Caporegime
About the same amount of sense as the RTX series then?

Yes. Both cards are overpriced with features that wont be used/will be redundant by the time they are properly needed.

At least with RTX you can have a play with some current ray tracing games if you want (albeit with rubbish frames on the 2080).

Caporegime
why do people keep ignoring the fact they COULDN'T! the gpu IS the instinct mi50 for whatever reason they have them left over and have mangled them to work as a gaming card to sell on to make some money on things which would probably ended up being thrown away. its not a new card its just a rebadged one so what it has on die is exactly the same as what was there before. hence the idiotic amount of hbm2 and the comedy price tag. if they could have done 8 gig or even 10 gig the card could probably have been at least £100 cheaper and been a good boot up the backside of nvidia on pricing but unless they made a totally new package it wasnt happening. this card is a stop gap until navi drops which if rumours are anywhere near correct is looking like october or later this year. as for what navi will be performance wise who knows.

I see. Makes no odds to the consumer though. It is still 2 years late to the party so stupidly overpriced.

Nvidia are just as guilty of it with the RTX series. Overpriced for the performance on offer compared to previous generations.

Associate

Radeon beats the 2080 in some games and if those are the ones you play it does make sense.
Ok, Titan RTX is. So yeah, Titan RTX makes sense if you have the money, if you don't, you buy the 2080ti because it's best at that price point. And the 2080 is the best at it's price point. Into which the RVII falls, unfortunately.

The RVII is outperformed by the 2080, that's why it makes no sense for gaming. It's not even a gaming gpu lol.

Soldato
Card looks awesome to me, trades blows with RTX 2080 and will only improve in time. A lot of negative nancys on here ..

Like an old lady sowing circle where you all moan about your ailments and are disgruntled xD

Permabanned
Card looks awesome to me, trades blows with RTX 2080 and will only improve in time. A lot of negative nancys on here ..

Like an old lady sowing circle where you all moan about your ailments and are disgruntled xD

Well, I hope you will be happy when the card dumps all the hot air from its exhausts right onto your M.2 drive which is sensitive even without a nuclear reactor next to it. :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato

A bit disingenuous TBH. Titan RTX isn’t really a gaming card, is it. Obviously you can game with it but the price is mental.

Soldato
It's just "okay".

That's 3 flagship launches in a row that have just been "okay" from AMD.

Sadly three in a row that are in essence the 2900XT. Hotter; noisier; and perform the same as the high mid, instead of the competitors flagship.

I hope AMD have the R&D for a completely new architecture soon. GCN just isn’t good enough anymore.

Soldato
Fail for me, I was really shocked when they announced the pricing for this. Just doesn't seem to outperform Vega/RTX2060 by enough to warrant being double the price.
I thought AMD had found their niche by not competing at the top end but instead offering value in the mid-range segment, but moves like this seem way off the mark. If I was going to spend that kind of ridiculous money on a GPU I would get an RTX2080.

What makes it even more bizarre is they have a massive hole in their own pricing as well, Vega64 costs under £400 yet this is £650? They should be pricing it at £499 to undercut RTX2080/1080ti

I think you don't realise the cost of HBM2 memory. They aren't pricing it to gouge, they have to factor in HBM2 cost as well as the usual associated costs. 16gig of the stuff is WAY expensive over GDDR5 or GDDR6

Permabanned
Sadly three in a row that are in essence the 2900XT. Hotter; noisier; and perform the same as the high mid, instead of the competitors flagship.

I hope AMD have the R&D for a completely new architecture soon. GCN just isn’t good enough anymore.

It is not the architecture which is faulty, it is the software that like with CPUs where it utilises less cores, here tends to like to utilise narrower architectures with less shading performance:
Radeon VII 16 GB is about superior than RTX 2080 in EVERYTHING, only the stupid games can't understand it:

Radeon VII 16 GB: 3840 (60) | 240 | 64 | 112 Gpixels/s | 420.0 GTexels/s | 13440 GFlops | 3360 GFlops (1/4) | https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vii.c3358
GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB: 2944 (46) | 184 | 64 | 109.4 GPixels/s | 314.6 GTexels/s | 10068 GFlops | 314.6 GFlops | https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080.c3224

Soldato
I think the only moderately reasonable RTX card to buy is the RTX 2060 to be honest. The 2070 is a maybe, but both the 2080 and 2080ti I see as failures mainly due to their price points. But also the failures on the silicon for those cards.

Obviously current 1080ti pricing is bad due to the fact its no longer manufactured, but it wasnt that bad when me and others purchased our 1080ti's at sub £600.

DLSS and RT, I originally considered RT to be a gimmick and DLSS to be the tech to rely on for future improvements, but now I have reversed my opinion, DLSS actually causes shimmering when it otherwise isnt present, just standing still in a game, evident on gamersnexus FF15 footage of using it in FF15. It also seems to be restricted to working at 4k output only. To me its a failure of a technology. RT at least provides visual improvements, and the feedback from it on BF5 is positive after nvidia intervened to optimise the code for it. However I would still prefer as a customer to have more cuda cores instead of RT cores on my GPU die. Games like the division 2 still clearly show you dont need DX12 or RT for amazing lighting effects, that game has some awesome environmental effects, which looked awesome on my 1080ti on Windows 8 DX11.

Back
Top Bottom