Small Hi-Fi for study?

Soldato
I'm curious if there are any small hi-fis with outstanding audio quality that would fit into a small study? I'd just want to hook my computer up to the AUX port on the amp and listen to music that way. I don't have room for full-size speakers though unfortunately.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something like that?

Man of Honour
Define "outstanding audio quality ". What does it mean to you; what gear have you listened to that you felt gave outstanding audio quality, and - more importantly - how much are you prepared to pay to get it?

Soldato
OP
Define "outstanding audio quality ". What does it mean to you; what gear have you listened to that you felt gave outstanding audio quality, and - more importantly - how much are you prepared to pay to get it?

That was probably a bad phrase to use. Ignore it. I just want to listen to Tidal lossless audio streaming with something that sounds pretty good. My budget isn't large but to give you an idea I was looking at two Amazon Echo Plus with an Amazon Echo Subwoofer which costs about £300.

Soldato
Any reason you can't go direct from a decent soundcard to a pair of good PC speakers? Unless you want clarity at serious volume - which sounds unlikely if the space your using is small?

Have got some great hifi gear at home that I use in the living room that cost an arm and a leg, but for music on my PC I have a set of Bose Companion II - only £90, fine for a small room IMO, would never cut it in my lounge, but fine in the tiny box room I call an office.

Man of Honour
That was probably a bad phrase to use. Ignore it. I just want to listen to Tidal lossless audio streaming with something that sounds pretty good. My budget isn't large but to give you an idea I was looking at two Amazon Echo Plus with an Amazon Echo Subwoofer which costs about £300.

In terms of pure musicality, Amazon's Echo Pluses are kind of mid-table as far as sub-£100 interactive speakers go. They're okay, but not leading in their field. Judged solely on their musical ability then, all the interactive speakers are akin to 1st division football teams; entertaining, but not Premiere League. Pluses sit in the middle of the 1st division.

Adding the sub doesn't help change that. It does add bass, but there's only so much that can be done for £120 retail. Amazon's specifications are hopelessly over-optimistic.

The bass it adds is lumpy and obtrusive thanks to too much reliance on the bass port to create a sense of impact. The other thing that I suspect is that the sub only comes to life with Amazon's premium music subscription service. i.e. it's not available to play with other music sources. If that is true - and you should do your own research on this - then that has to be a deal breaker.

Where you want something that does brilliantly as a music speaker, then the Ruark MR1 mkll really deserve an audition. Compared to your Amazon option, it will seem like you're getting less; but these are active speakers from a company that really knows what it is doing with sound.

Buy the Amazon kit if you want the Alexa features. A single or pair of Sonos Play 1 will do better for music, but they cost more. They're still not Hi-Fi, but they are a better music speaker. The Sonos Play ONE adds Alexa integration.

Other options exist if all you need is some amplification and transducers.

Man of Honour
Have you considered powered speakers?

I have a pair or Roth Audio VA4 connected to my PC via optical. I have to say they do sound pretty good. Decent amount of connectivity too, including pre outs for a turntable.

Soldato
How about a Sonos Play:5?

Lets you use Tidal and frees up your computer for doing other things while you listen to music.

Would also let you control it with your phone and easily stream the music around your house for some background music in other rooms with little effort (but more money obviously :) )

Last edited:
Soldato
Pound-4-pound you won't get much better with the following combined with a decent set of bookshelf speakers imho. I've got a couple of the SMSL amps and for the money they are superb:

SgDot03.png

7iEfjsP.png

That's silly money for awful audio quality imho, for not a lot more you could buy some PROPER speakers:

vR7GPsU.png

Last edited:
Soldato
You are on about Master audio files and the like as if you are some kind of fanatical audiophile, yet you were considering some really quite poor Amazon speakers. Do you want audiophile stuff or sub-par mainstream gear, make your mind up..

Associate
I agree the Ruark MR1 is the route I'd be going down. With optical straight into the speaker from the PC it's a nice simple solution and quality wise much better than the Amazon option.

Soldato
OP
You are on about Master audio files and the like as if you are some kind of fanatical audiophile, yet you were considering some really quite poor Amazon speakers. Do you want audiophile stuff or sub-par mainstream gear, make your mind up..

Woah. Calm down :).

I listen to music pretty much all day long so getting an excellent system would improve my quality of life dramatically. Unfortunately, I do not know much about audio equipment. I signed up to Tidal because they offer lossless audio streaming and noticed that you needed an MQA compatible DAC to get the full benefit. From my research, it seems you need to spend about £250 or so on a DAC that supports that. If I could find a pair of headphones that were worth pairing with a DAC of that quality for £200 to £300, then I would be highly tempted but as I said I need some advice on all of this as I am pretty clueless.

Man of Honour
Woah. Calm down :).

I listen to music pretty much all day long so getting an excellent system would improve my quality of life dramatically. Unfortunately, I do not know much about audio equipment. I signed up to Tidal because they offer lossless audio streaming and noticed that you needed an MQA compatible DAC to get the full benefit. From my research, it seems you need to spend about £250 or so on a DAC that supports that. If I could find a pair of headphones that were worth pairing with a DAC of that quality for £200 to £300, then I would be highly tempted but as I said I need some advice on all of this as I am pretty clueless.

You listen to music all day.... so you plan on wearing headphones all day every day?! I think you'd get fed up of that pretty quickly.

Associate
Keep it simple. Ruark MR1 Mk2 or KEF Egg.

What this chap says. I have the Ruark Mk1 in a office/2nd bedroom and they are fantastic, suit the room size well with out any over power of bass for the room size. Reviews of the mk2 or Eggs are evem better.

Wearing earphones all day is uncomfortable, i'd avoid if you can. Granted i haven't tried all models but on ears will ache your actual ears and over the ears get sweaty and weird in my experience wearing from 9 - 5.

Associate
If it were me, I would probably pick something like the Audiolab M-DAC and M-PWR combo and match it with some small speakers like Kef R100. All can be found on ebay for reasonable prices too from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom