*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Prior to the CGNAT rollout I'm sure I saw literature which explained static IPs were £5 per month for 30 or 150 mbit customers but free for gigabit customers. And of course when I signed up I couldn't find this now!

I've been looking around because I was mysteriously provisioned a static IP on my account when I signed up -- but when I called to confirm there was some confusion (and I'm now paying for one). Just puzzled really...

If you can't get one - might be worth looking at a dynamic DNS provider, I use one with my non static IP ADSL line and seems to work ok.

~cw

~cw

Associate
Interesting, I've already got decent internet, this is me being greedy! I'm in no massive rush for it. My contract with BT ends in July so I will keep an eye on what they are doing. I've not got much knowledge of FTTP but will they not just use the fibre optic cable that BT ran and connect it up differently; hyperoptic "connection point" not BT? As it's a new build development everything is run underground so will be interesting to see what issues they run into.

So HyperOptic run their own cabling to the exchange usually, and then from there it's standard openreach line. Hence why they usually only do blocks of flats, as the exchange is usually right by the block

Once at the property (i.e. block of flats), they'll have a mini exchange, if you like, where the fibre is distributed to all the flats via high speed ethernet (Gb)

It's a lot easier now Openreach are more willing to share their ducts with other commercial businesses.

Correct, Hyperoptic run their own fibre from colo equipment, typically in the nearby exchanges, that goes into a switch which provides copper access ports which are trunked to individual properties. For small blocks like mine they just install one switch but I imagine they'll do switch stacks or spread their smaller switches across floors in high rises where utility cupboards and risers are available. That can cause delays, where they come to install and don't have access to risers because building management aren't organised.

I believe they may use backhaul from BT or whoever in certain circumstances, but it's obviously preferable for them to run their own fibre to their own infrastructure.

I have some pictures of my block's little setup, I'll post them. I was delighted to see they're using Huawei switches. ;)

If you can't get one - might be worth looking at a dynamic DNS provider, I use one with my non static IP ADSL line and seems to work ok.

Yeah, already use afraid.org for DDNS - ended up paying out for a static as CGNAT does not play nicely with me. Frustratingly they assign a /29 but you're only able to use one IP. Quite annoyed about that.

Also, heads up if you want to monitor your line by pinging the Hyper Hub (a Tilgin router) with a service like TBB's BQM: they've restricted the setting to enable/disable ICMP response on WAN to a 'root' account - which they will not disclose to you. I politely begged they turn it on on my router, which customer support did. However it seems they have no plans to unrestrict all the options for the normal admin account. Perhaps use your own router.

Associate
So HyperOptic run their own cabling to the exchange usually, and then from there it's standard openreach line. Hence why they usually only do blocks of flats, as the exchange is usually right by the block

Once at the property (i.e. block of flats), they'll have a mini exchange, if you like, where the fibre is distributed to all the flats via high speed ethernet (Gb)

Interesting, our development is mainly detached properties so will be curious why they have expressed interest in going live in our area as it's not the typical demographic of flats.

Soldato
Interesting, our development is mainly detached properties so will be curious why they have expressed interest in going live in our area as it's not the typical demographic of flats.
If it's a completely new development then the council might not have adopted the roads yet, especially if the roads and pavements haven't been paved yet. This makes things much easier for anyone wanting to lay cable

Last edited:
Associate

DNS would probably be of little use if you have a CGNAT address. Also things like port forwards and UPnP won't work . You will need a real IP address (static) .

Associate
You don't need to port forward with IPv6 as you should get you own unique prefix to play with. What's the first four digits of your LAN IPv6 address?

TJM

TJM

Associate
Plug in your Hyperoptic router and see (through the admin panel) if it can obtain an IPv6 address. If it does, you will need to configure your own router to work with it - auto-detect worked on my Netgear. If it doesn't, your building's equipment isn't using IPv6 yet.

Caporegime
What happens if you shove a cable from your laptop straight into the Hyperoptic socket?

The way that status page says disabled suggests it's been turned off in the router, rather than just a case of not getting an address allocated.

Associate
It doesn't look like IPv6 has been configured for you. You should at least see something with a PC plugged in. A valid global address should start with a 2 or 3.

Caporegime
Hyperoptic do IPv6 without a static IPv4, if they think your building has been enabled then take it up with support.

~cw

~cw

Associate
I spoke to CS and apparently the Tilgin has some 'issues' regarding its v6 support. I noticed after I factory reset mine recently (wifi completely packed in) that I initially had my v6 address assigned, then some time later, ipv6 was disabled.

You'll probably just need to use your own router and set it up appropriately for IPv6. As has been discussed on reddit, try Native, dhcp-pd enabled, auto config set to Stateless (that's for an Asus, other routers should work similarly).

Email customer services if you want confirmation of your IPv6 assignment, they told me mine at the same time as my v4 static.

Associate
Question to HO users who got their ipv6 working - are you able to connect to your ipv6 device from Internet?

I have ipv6 working on devices directly connected to HO router (298N, can browse ipv6.google.com, test-ipv6.com is also fine), but unable to ping or access any port on that device from ipv6 Internet (firewall is open on device, wireshark is not showing any packets coming). HO CS said that they can't do anything due to security issues, but then I don't understand what is the point of having static ipv6. Does it mean with £5/month for static ipv4 they also can't open devices to Internet due to security issues? Could it be problem with HO router which is not giving enough settings so ipv6 is restricted on router level and third-party router will work?

Back
Top Bottom