Hong Kong holiday

Caporegime
The way to go from your hotel in Kowloon (or in the Cordis) is…

Out of your room, head downstairs to Langham Place shopping mall, down a few Escalators to the MTR station in the basement.
Head to East Tsim Sha Tsui station (you can say TST if you can't pronounce it properly).

Then cross over the road to Avenue of Stars which you can see across the harbour.

Take some photos, look at the view.

SpAzxDB.jpg

Now head west and you will see a clock tower, there you are at the Ferry Terminal. Use your Octopus card to go through the gate and head to Central.

Once out the other end get in a taxi and ask for the Peak, it will cost about £5-6.

Otherwise, if you want to take the peak tram, you will need to make your way from Central Ferry terminal to the peak tram station which you can walk or take the Tram (the really cheap one)

The peak tram cost like £5 or so per person so it is actually cheaper to take a taxi.

Planning on going in the summer and I've got the Intercontinental booked at the moment, mainly for that exact view!

Associate
The way to go from your hotel in Kowloon (or in the Cordis) is…

Out of your room, head downstairs to Langham Place shopping mall, down a few Escalators to the MTR station in the basement.
Head to East Tsim Sha Tsui station (you can say TST if you can't pronounce it properly).

Then cross over the road to Avenue of Stars which you can see across the harbour.

Take some photos, look at the view.

SpAzxDB.jpg

Now head west and you will see a clock tower, there you are at the Ferry Terminal. Use your Octopus card to go through the gate and head to Central.

Once out the other end get in a taxi and ask for the Peak, it will cost about £5-6.

Otherwise, if you want to take the peak tram, you will need to make your way from Central Ferry terminal to the peak tram station which you can walk or take the Tram (the really cheap one)

The peak tram cost like £5 or so per person so it is actually cheaper to take a taxi.

Hehe! thanks for the info dude! :D I've been going to Hong Kong on and off since 95 :p I've been to the peak on the tram and the bus but never a taxi, just wondered if there was any real benefit to it. I know now that the queue for the tram going up is insane so I just get the bus, then tram back down. A fiver is nice and cheap indeed! I might consider that when I'm back in March.

Caporegime
Hehe! thanks for the info dude! :D I've been going to Hong Kong on and off since 95 :p I've been to the peak on the tram and the bus but never a taxi, just wondered if there was any real benefit to it. I know now that the queue for the tram going up is insane so I just get the bus, then tram back down. A fiver is nice and cheap indeed! I might consider that when I'm back in March.

Oh, ha! Then you know the area well.

I've been up to the Peak over half a dozen times and I think I took the Tram twice? max. It's the old traditional way up and it is quite fun for once, the gradient of it is a novelty. Last October when I was there the Tram was actually out of service so the buses were PACKED. We ended up getting a taxi up and down.

Associate
About a fiver, really cheap. Taxi in HK is generally dirt cheap.

Re - tips, you can, and I do, I normally just round it up. So if its like $56 HK, I just give him $60 and say keep the change.

Oh, VERY important. If you can't see the peak from Kowloon then don't bother heading up there as you can't see back down.

See my previous photo, this semi circular scoop building is the peak. If you can't see this from ground level then don't waste your time going up there. The path is actually to the right of that as you look at it.

NkZhao9.png

Snapped a pic of HK island and Kowloon from Ludgard Road on my first day! unfortunately when I went my first day there was the only sunny day :(

AektuAn.jpg

Associate
Oh, ha! Then you know the area well.

I've been up to the Peak over half a dozen times and I think I took the Tram twice? max. It's the old traditional way up and it is quite fun for once, the gradient of it is a novelty. Last October when I was there the Tram was actually out of service so the buses were PACKED. We ended up getting a taxi up and down.

Fairly well ;) maybe not as well as the locals though, but I could definitely get around without needing the pester the locals!

Caporegime
Holy hell thats nice! never been up there at night! will make it a priority this time around! What gear do you use?

01hBVeP.jpg

I've used Canon 5D2, 5D3, 5D4 and a Sony A7. It depends what camera I have at that time but they all are equally competent.

I always try to get to the Peak at sundown so that way I get to see sun set and then in the dark. It looks best in the dark IMO, slowly the lights comes on and you can see the city come alive slowly.

Soldato
That vantage point at the peak across the side is really awesome, makes you wonder why go through the trouble of being in a crowded area across the other side!

We went up to the peak 2 days after the storm hit HK so the path was a bit more challenging as there were trees blocking the path, crazy stuff really.

Anyways here is my poor attempt at a night shot with my noob camera skills:

IMG-5035.jpg

I tried to get a hyperlapse on my phone from the sky terrace tower (we had tickets for this as we bought the Klook VIP fastrack for the tram and was a package deal + sky terrace access)

Even though I was at the front it was near impossible to keep the phone stable for 30 minutes even on the rail, next time I'm feeling a 5/6am visit to catch the sunrise, hopefully it won't be too busy then!

Soldato
We spent 10 days or so in HK over Christmas and NYE. Amazing atmosphere there, although it was weird walking around on Christmas day in shorts and t-shirt!

Few tips from me having been there on holiday and dozens of times on business......

- head out to the nearby islands. Lamma island is nice to walk around on (no cars allowed on it). Easy to get ferries to and from
- as above with the peak. Don't bother with the sky terrace. Walk along the path to the side for a much better (and free!) view.
- lots and lots of good local places to eat, great quality food for not much money too. You can spend a lot in some restaurants, but most days you probably won't want/need to.
- the city is amazing from a photography point of view. **** Kok is great at night, with the remaining neon street lights, make the most of it, as there's less of them every year.

Here's a couple of posts from me with plenty of photos if you're interested :)

Digital - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/11/hong-kong?rq=hong kong

Film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2018/8/my-longest-trip-yethong-kong?rq=hong kong

More film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/12/hong-kong-on-film?rq=hong kong

Soldato
We spent 10 days or so in HK over Christmas and NYE. Amazing atmosphere there, although it was weird walking around on Christmas day in shorts and t-shirt!

Few tips from me having been there on holiday and dozens of times on business......

- head out to the nearby islands. Lamma island is nice to walk around on (no cars allowed on it). Easy to get ferries to and from
- as above with the peak. Don't bother with the sky terrace. Walk along the path to the side for a much better (and free!) view.
- lots and lots of good local places to eat, great quality food for not much money too. You can spend a lot in some restaurants, but most days you probably won't want/need to.
- the city is amazing from a photography point of view. **** Kok is great at night, with the remaining neon street lights, make the most of it, as there's less of them every year.

Here's a couple of posts from me with plenty of photos if you're interested :)

Digital - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/11/hong-kong?rq=hong kong

Film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2018/8/my-longest-trip-yethong-kong?rq=hong kong

More film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/12/hong-kong-on-film?rq=hong kong

Great images there mate, yours and @Raymond Lin photos really capture the vibe and essence of HK really well.

Back
Top Bottom